Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 12-22-2021, 11:38 AM   #11
10 bore
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,436 Times in 796 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton C Starr View Post
I have to give a thumbs up for the NH 10 in itself, I seen one of those H&Rs a few months ago in pretty decent shape but sold before I could grab it.
When we were waiting for ducks to show up i was tellIng Pete , " if was going to order my new 10 ga. In 1889 this gun is what i would have ordered " lop 13 3/4, dac 1 5/8 ths, dah 2 5/8 ths. On a straight grip stock. Choke F/F .037 in both 32 inch barrels on a 3 frame at 9 lbs.
Scott
Unread 12-23-2021, 09:56 PM   #12
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,000 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Lester View Post
Yes from little I know WR granted a license to use the A&D hammerless design and build the guns in the Worcester MA H&R factory. It's believed that it took two years to set up the factory for the production which started circa 1883 and that Mr. Anson and Mr. Deeley were there to supervise/train. It's thought production lasted two years or little more and only 2500 to 3000 guns in 10 and 12 gauge were produced in four grades, A-D. They are not what you would expect from H&R, they are a fine gun and probably the first self cocking hammerless double built in the US. There are others on the board who know more than I, a lot of what I know about them came from the book, "Birth of the Boxlock".
I remember reading a detailed thread about them on here years ago but dont remember much of it. I would think it was probably expensive build here in the US, I read Colt ran into a similar problem with their 1883 producing about 6000 of them.
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2021, 10:03 PM   #13
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott kittredge View Post
When we were waiting for ducks to show up i was tellIng Pete , " if was going to order my new 10 ga. In 1889 this gun is what i would have ordered " lop 13 3/4, dac 1 5/8 ths, dah 2 5/8 ths. On a straight grip stock. Choke F/F .037 in both 32 inch barrels on a 3 frame at 9 lbs.
Scott
I think 9lbs or so is probably the sweet spot for a 10 ga I have a grade 2 that is 9.5lbs and a NH that is just shy of 13lbs and honestly the weight difference doesnt affect recoil all that much with 1 1/4oz loads. I havnt seen many straight stock Parker 10s.
The Following User Says Thank You to Milton C Starr For Your Post:
Unread 12-24-2021, 01:37 PM   #14
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

that 13 lb 10 ga sounds like my kinda gun....I bet if you were shooting real heavy loads you could tell the difference in the 2 guns...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2021, 02:56 PM   #15
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,365 Posts

I don't think I can remember ever feeling a gun recoil when I was shooting at a bird. I doubt most people do but I do know one guy who shot at a goose with two factory 3 1/2 inch 10 ga loads of Bismuth out of an Ithaca NID and the recoil knocked him over. Do you remember that day Bill Janelle?
Unread 12-24-2021, 03:02 PM   #16
10 bore
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
I don't think I can remember ever feeling a gun recoil when I was shooting at a bird. I doubt most people do but I do know one guy who shot at a goose with two factory 3 1/2 inch 10 ga loads of Bismuth out of an Ithaca NID and the recoil knocked him over. Remember that day Bill Janelle
Yha, but remember the 3rd shot ? The 3 1/2 inch shell paid off than.
What hunting stories we could tell about each other over the last 45 years
Scott
Unread 12-24-2021, 03:04 PM   #17
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott kittredge View Post
Yha, but remember the 3rd shot ? The 3 1/2 inch shell paid off than.
What hunting stories we could tell about each other over the last 45 years
Scott
Yup about 70 yards and both him and goose fell. LOL.
Unread 12-24-2021, 07:31 PM   #18
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
I don't think I can remember ever feeling a gun recoil when I was shooting at a bird. I doubt most people do but I do know one guy who shot at a goose with two factory 3 1/2 inch 10 ga loads of Bismuth out of an Ithaca NID and the recoil knocked him over. Do you remember that day Bill Janelle?
I seen someone selling some of those loads recently on GI. Currently all my 10 gauges are 2 7/8"s guns. I have shot one 3oz 10 gauge load before and in a 9lb single barrel never again. I think at that point it may be time to step up to a 4 bore haha. I took my NH 10 ga to the range today to test some handloads I think it has some nice figure in the wood especially when the sunlight hits it.
Unread 02-08-2022, 05:46 PM   #19
Gene Danielson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Would you be willing to share info on your loads? I'm trying to get effective bismuth loads working in an NID Super 10. Have been using the DGJ Sherman Bell 4756 recipes and ignition is erratic in colder weather (30-40 deg F.) Have weighed powder/shot each load and feel confident on that issue. Powder and primers (WW209) work fine in other loads at same temps (lead target) so believe they are ok. Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks
Gene Danielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2022, 06:26 PM   #20
10 bore
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Danielson View Post
Would you be willing to share info on your loads? I'm trying to get effective bismuth loads working in an NID Super 10. Have been using the DGJ Sherman Bell 4756 recipes and ignition is erratic in colder weather (30-40 deg F.) Have weighed powder/shot each load and feel confident on that issue. Powder and primers (WW209) work fine in other loads at same temps (lead target) so believe they are ok. Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks
Hi, ok this is what i have been shooting for awhile now. Yes the 4756 and The 76 something powder all suck in cold weather I load.Fed or winchester hull, 38 grs blue dot, fed 209A primer, rem sp 10 wad, with a.100 16 or 20 ga card wad under shot and fold crimp. Put .100 under shot i found if you put it on top it opened my patterns up by 50%. And my goose loads same powder, primer,wad with 1 3/8 ths oz bismuth but no .100 filler card under shot. Now with that said this is what i shoot i am not telling anyone to do the same. I shoot 4s for duck and decoying geese. And goose only i shoot 1, s and bb,s.
Scott