Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 01-10-2022, 02:08 PM   #11
Robert Brooks
PGCA Member

Member Info

I have not seen a single bobwhite in my part of NE Georgia or heard one whistle since last winter! Bobby
Robert Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2022, 06:07 PM   #12
John Marscher
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Hillis View Post
Well done, John!

We still find wild birds "across the river" from SC, from time to time. I stumble into them often while farming here, and we occasionally get into them while "wood cocking". That backdrop looks so much like home.
Are you across the river from the bomb plant? We are a little further South, across from Clyo/Sylvania.
John Marscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2022, 07:21 PM   #13
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,471 Times in 3,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Sacco View Post
Where is the best place in the US for wild quail? Bobwhites specifically? Bucket list. I'm just glad I got in some great Atlantic Salmon fishing 25 years ago at affordable prices. Hope i'm not late to the quail party in my lifetime.
Andy, As Reggie points out, there are good public land opportunities for wild Bobs in Kansas and Oklahoma. Texas is great, but access is much more limited. We have hunted Kansas and Oklahoma off-and-on for years. For a do-it-yourself, public land hunt, I'd pick Kansas. Kansas' has an exemplary private land access program and some good public opportunities. The terrain varies and the populations can, too, depending on changes in land use (read that as farming in this case) and, especially, the weather. The kind of habitat that Kansas offers is varied, from cultivated field edges and CRP fields, to tall grass prairie, to mixed grass prairie. Kansas has pheasants, too. We find that folks will drive more to get pheasants than quail, and so go to areas that are not known for pheasants. The Kansas DNR has good information on population trends (but, remember, they are trying to sell licenses).

If you really need to kill a lot of birds, go to a plantation in the SE and pay to play. But, there is no better feeling than guiding yourself to a covey of honest-to-God wild Bobs with your own pup on the prairie. (Unless it's doing like our original poster here, hunting on public land in the Old South.)

Just my two cents. Adjusted for inflation, I probably need to send in some cash.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 01-10-2022, 07:38 PM   #14
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,898 Times in 1,112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Marscher View Post
Are you across the river from the bomb plant? We are a little further South, across from Clyo/Sylvania.
That's exactly where I am, John. I live two miles from Stoney Bluff Landing on the Savannah River, and one mile from the Screven Co./Burke co. line, on the Burke side, on Stoney Bluff Rd.
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2022, 10:30 AM   #15
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,415 Times in 952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post
Andy, As Reggie points out, there are good public land opportunities for wild Bobs in Kansas and Oklahoma. Texas is great, but access is much more limited. We have hunted Kansas and Oklahoma off-and-on for years. For a do-it-yourself, public land hunt, I'd pick Kansas. Kansas' has an exemplary private land access program and some good public opportunities. The terrain varies and the populations can, too, depending on changes in land use (read that as farming in this case) and, especially, the weather. The kind of habitat that Kansas offers is varied, from cultivated field edges and CRP fields, to tall grass prairie, to mixed grass prairie. Kansas has pheasants, too. We find that folks will drive more to get pheasants than quail, and so go to areas that are not known for pheasants. The Kansas DNR has good information on population trends (but, remember, they are trying to sell licenses).

If you really need to kill a lot of birds, go to a plantation in the SE and pay to play. But, there is no better feeling than guiding yourself to a covey of honest-to-God wild Bobs with your own pup on the prairie. (Unless it's doing like our original poster here, hunting on public land in the Old South.)

Just my two cents. Adjusted for inflation, I probably need to send in some cash.
Thank you Garry. I don't mind pay to play and don't mind going it alone. Kansas keeps coming up as a great place to visit with a shotgun.
Unread 01-11-2022, 10:35 AM   #16
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Sacco View Post
Thank you Garry. I don't mind pay to play and don't mind going it alone. Kansas keeps coming up as a great place to visit with a shotgun.
A New Yorker won't know what to do with himself (but I'm sure will quickly figure out) in the wide open spaces of sparsely populated land. Try it! Your pup deserves to get a few cockleburs and to fetch a wild Bob.
Unread 12-08-2022, 04:47 PM   #17
John Marscher
PGCA Member

Member Info

It seems to be a decent year for wild birds. Need it to cool off some down here.
IMG_5316.jpg
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to John Marscher For Your Post:
Unread 12-08-2022, 05:05 PM   #18
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
It seems to be a decent year for wild birds. Need it to cool off some down here.
Attachment 112209
So, John, where are you? Our North Missouri/Southern Iowa covers have areas with good bird numbers…and, some, not so good. I guess I’d call it spotty.
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 12-08-2022, 05:34 PM   #19
John Marscher
PGCA Member

Member Info

This is in the South Carolina Lowcountry. Our numbers are nowhere near what yalls are but can still find a couple coveys if you're willing to walk. I find it much more enjoyable than release birds.
The Following User Says Thank You to John Marscher For Your Post:
Unread 12-08-2022, 05:38 PM   #20
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
This is in the South Carolina Lowcountry. Our numbers are nowhere near what yalls are but can still find a couple coveys if you're willing to walk. I find it much more enjoyable than release birds.
I'm not so sure we have more birds here, but I absolutely agree that a hard-earned Bob is a real gift...and so much better than a released bird.