Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

2013 PGCA Silent Auction
Unread 07-12-2013, 10:16 AM   #1
Double Play
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,782 Times in 636 Posts

Default 2013 PGCA Silent Auction

Dear Friends and Members of the Parker Gun Collector's Association

The 2013 PGCA Annual Meeting and Banquet will be held on Friday September 27, 2013 and will include, among other exciting features, the much anticipated Silent Auction fundraiser. The Silent Auction has been extremely successful in generating much needed revenue for the PGCA and has included some wonderful donations of auction items from both PGCA Members as well as from businesses that specialize in sporting related products.

The items to be donated need not be new or expensive, just something you think might be of interest to your fellow PGCA members. In the past some of the best items were those homemade/handmade items from some of our more talented members. Please look around at your accumulations of shooting and sporting equipment for anything you thought you needed but find you can do without and let Dean Romig or Larry Frey know what you would like to donate. Thank you for your continued support.
Larry Frey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Larry Frey For Your Post:
Unread 07-12-2013, 10:39 AM   #2
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,734 Times in 1,590 Posts

I recognize that off site bidding for these items may be a logistical problem, but is there some way those of us who cannot attend could participate in the bidding? Would result in more $$ for PGCA
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Dallas For Your Post:
Unread 07-12-2013, 11:46 PM   #3
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 34,010 Times in 12,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dallas View Post
I recognize that off site bidding for these items may be a logistical problem, but is there some way those of us who cannot attend could participate in the bidding? Would result in more $$ for PGCA

John, that topic was raised last year and unfortunately we simply do not have the technology on site at the auction to accomodate or accept remote bids. We have a BOD teleconference coming up and we can discuss it then but I don't anticipate a positive outcome.

Dean
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 06:17 AM   #4
Double Play
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,782 Times in 636 Posts

John,
To add to what Dean said it is our goal each year to sell all the items at the auction. If somehow we were able to sell some items remotely we would then have to bring them home, package them appropriately, and ship them. This would add work and expense to the process.

Anyone whose been to one of these events the last few years knows that Dean and I only solicit the donations, it's really our wives that get stuck doing the work. I will run your suggestion by the girls but I don't have a good feeling about the result.
Larry Frey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Larry Frey For Your Post:
Unread 07-13-2013, 08:49 AM   #5
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,734 Times in 1,590 Posts

In my mind, you don't need any accommodations for off site bidding during the auctions. Let off site bidders send in one bid prior to the auction. If there are extra costs, add them to the winning bid. Opening up the process to a wider audience should result in more money for PGCA
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Dallas For Your Post:
Unread 07-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #6
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,856 Times in 1,296 Posts

I have a museum grade full shoulder mounted Impala from our safari to South Africa. The mount was done by a South African taxidermy outfit by the name of 'Lifeform'. They are one of Africa's premier taxidermists. The mount is in excellent condition. I would be happy to donate this to the silent auction if the powers that be think this would be an attractive bid item. Pics can be sent if needed before judgment is rendered. just pm me and if the powers that be feel it would not be a suitable silent auction, that's not a problem either. I shot 2 impalas and had both mounted so letting one go is no problem and keeping both is not an issue either. Just pm me either way.
allen newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 05:54 PM   #7
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 34,010 Times in 12,595 Posts

How about some pictures Allen... or at least tell us its dimensions, top to bottom. Most folks are travelling long distances with little extra space in their cars. It's a very generous donation so don't let me put a damper on it.

Mark Landskov just PM'd me letting me know I should watch for a package from FeDex.
Thanks Mark!!

I picked this up at an antique shop in Maine last week... it will go to the Silent Auction.
A 5-piece condiment set in its original box made by the Meriden Silverplate Co.
The design is known as "First Lady". It has some minor tarnish covering each piece but
the set appears to be very lightly used - no marks or scratches or polishing swirls.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0603.JPG (223.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0605.JPG (259.9 KB, 4 views)
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 06:05 PM   #8
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Dean, I'll take some pictures of it in a few minutes and post with some dimensions. Mr. Purtill has seen this mount in our family room while he was drooling uncontrollably over the BHE I had for sale awhile back. George can attest as well. If it is accepted as a silent auction item, I can bring it down to the event on the Friday. Stay tuned for pics. This was one of 2 Impalas that I shot. This one was taken late in the day after Jean and I had walked our butts off in the bush and I had asked out PH to drop us off at one of the waterholes where he had a blind set up. We sat there for over an hour taking movies of all manner plains game that around 5 pm decided to come to water for a drink. This one was one of about 20 or so Impalas that just showed up out of no where to drink. We were hunting bigger game during the day and all I had was my model 70 375 H&H mag. When I decided to take this one animal and shot it (at about 20 yds) - that slug knocked that impala back about 20 feet. Never seen anything like it. Couldn't resist the shot though. I'll post pics shortly. My apologies for droning on about this.
Impala Pictures
Unread 07-26-2013, 06:20 PM   #9
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default Impala Pictures

Dean, the impala roughly measures approx. 37" from the tip of the horns to the base of the neck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1477.jpg (472.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1478.jpg (468.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1479.jpg (475.1 KB, 0 views)
Unread 07-27-2013, 03:11 PM   #10
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Larry and Dean, do you want the Impala mount for the silent auction?