Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 09-22-2022, 08:16 AM   #71
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,898 Times in 1,112 Posts

My "fear", with digital subscriptions, is that it will be lost in the future, somehow. And, not being tech savvy I am not good at "saving" stuff for future reference. With a hardcopy magazine I can always dig back through them.

Even with the CDs, how long before they are obsolete and something new and better replaces them? I've got three gun related VHS cassettes that I haven't watched in twenty years. I need to get them transferred to CD, I guess. One is Nick Makinson's excellent video on disassembly and cleaning of the L C Smith shotgun, one is an interview with Carlos Hathcock, by Maj. John Plaster, and the other is by Plaster, on how he trained snipers.

Paper never goes out of style, IMO. I, too would have paid a price increase to keep the DGJ in business.
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post:
Unread 09-22-2022, 04:42 PM   #72
Bob Brown
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mills Morrison View Post
It is. Look at the ad which includes Parkers at the End of the Rainbow and Diggory Haddoke's video

Thank you, Mills.
Bob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2022, 06:08 PM   #73
Phil Yearout
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,998 Times in 1,059 Posts

I used my credit toward the Parker serialization book which I received today. I really didn't need it as I'm not really a collector but I already own most of the other stuff .
Unread 09-23-2022, 10:53 AM   #74
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,667 Times in 1,642 Posts

Well I was glad to get an article in with the help of Steve Cambria, winter 2021, I have read all the articles in the last issue . I guess with DGJ gone I will read George Orwells 1984 again and follow the plight of Winston and Julia Gary
Gary Carmichael Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gary Carmichael Sr For Your Post:
Unread 09-23-2022, 12:20 PM   #75
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,306 Times in 4,411 Posts

For all practical purposes, there is an infinite amount of books, magazines and other writings on old guns and hunting out there. I have been enjoying Michael Petrov's books which I found on here as well as some Steve Smith books, among a few others.
Unread 09-23-2022, 03:17 PM   #76
Jack Kuzepski
PGCA Member

Member Info

This might not be much and it is digital, but have you checked out Digory Haddokes web site? It is www.vintageguns.co.uk His web site has guns for sale and some of his other services but more importantly (at least to me) he has the vintage gun journal. It has articles on guns, gun makers, auctions, people, etc. He adds several new articles each month
Jack Kuzepski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jack Kuzepski For Your Post:
Unread 09-26-2022, 11:00 PM   #77
Jim Thynne
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Saddened by the news, Great magazine, great people!
Jim Thynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim Thynne For Your Post:
Unread 05-03-2023, 12:18 AM   #78
John Cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

This may be a dead thread; however, I wanted to pass on that I just had a good experience with DJG. I wanted to find the Sherman Bell articles on testing loads in Damascus barrels. They determined which back issue had related articles, but stated that I would only be able to get them by purchasing complete back issues containing them. After looking at samples of the journal, I decided that would be an advantage, so I ordered each of the relevant full back issues.

They just arrived a little over a week ago, and I have not opened them all, but I am very happy with the ones I have, the purchase and the help from DJG.

Props to them.
John Cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to John Cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 05-04-2023, 11:49 AM   #79
timtommas
Forum Associate

Member Info

It's cool that they're planning on doing an Index & Reader Vol III in 2023. That'll be a nice way to look back on all the great content they've published over the years. Plus, it sounds like they're still going to be in the publishing game, just in a different capacity. Maybe they'll even start putting out some books on firearms! That'd be pretty rad.
Speaking of publishing, have you checked out any literary magazines for new writers lately? I know it's not the same as a gun journal, but there are some seriously awesome publications out there. Like, have you heard of The Paris Review or Tin House? They're both super legit. And if you're into sci-fi and fantasy, you should check out Clarkesworld or Lightspeed. They publish some seriously mind-blowing stuff.

Last edited by timtommas; 05-05-2023 at 06:04 AM..
timtommas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2023, 03:03 PM   #80
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,781 Times in 4,717 Posts

I find it difficult to believe that the shortage of subscribers enters into Daniel's and Joanna's decision to pack it up. I feel that the difficulty in attracting writers is a bigger problem. I think that many writers have a wealth of information to contribute, but don't have the skills to do it. I have contributed several wonderful articles to various publications, but have required much help from friends and other experts to get past the difficulties of creating the article and entering the photography. I have dozens of articles in my head, but can't transfer them to the publishers without a lot of assistance. And I'm a young guy. Think of some of the old guys who never used a computer at work, or at home unless under the domain of their wives.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post: