Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Kent Bismuth in 12 gauge Trojan
Unread 10-01-2018, 06:48 PM   #1
Scott Chapman
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Kent Bismuth in 12 gauge Trojan

Looking for comments about using Kent's new Bismuth Waterfowl 2 3/4" 1 1/4 oz, 1325 fps, 10,800 psi loads in my 12 gauge Trojan 30".

I had the Trojan checked out by Kirk Merrington a couple years ago and he gave me the thumbs up that it was in good shooting shape.

It is my understanding that I should be more concerned about wear and tear to the wood than the barrels and action.

I ran a box or so through the Trojan a couple weeks ago in Canada. They did produce noticeable recoil, but the #5s sure did stone ducks at a goodly distance, especially high over head mallards with the left barrel.
Scott Chapman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scott Chapman For Your Post:
Unread 10-01-2018, 07:43 PM   #2
charlie cleveland
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 7,801 Times in 3,968 Posts

scott you will get mixed feelings about this load from every body...to me no more shells than you will shoot in your gun i would say shoot them....i have guns that i shoot steel shot at ducks with it is a long range lc smith 3 inch chambered gun i even shot several 3 inch steel thru it my barrels are modified choke...i have not hurt the barrels and the wood is still fine....this is my opinion on your gun but listen to others also....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 10-01-2018, 08:37 PM   #3
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 18,378 Times in 4,730 Posts

Why ask about shooting them in it now that you already did it? It must not have bothered you all that much at the time.

That gun has likely digested hotter loats than that in its past.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 10-01-2018, 08:53 PM   #4
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,339 Times in 3,302 Posts

You reference the pressure

Figure out the recoil

Pressure is for the metal

Recoil is for the wood
Unread 10-01-2018, 10:09 PM   #5
Scott Chapman
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Dudley View Post
Why ask about shooting them in it now that you already did it? It must not have bothered you all that much at the time.

That gun has likely digested hotter loats than that in its past.
Just because I did it once and got away with it (I didn't know the pressures were +10,000 psi at the time) means that I want to continue if the sage advise is against the practice.

I thought that I had read somewhere on this forum that 12 gauge Trojans had pretty stout frame #2 and that higher pressure loads from standard "high brass" loads in the old days (2 3/4" 1 1/4 oz lead) should not be a great concern.

My son hopes to use the Trojan to take a few ducks at the end of the month on the opening of youth only weekend. I wanted some reassurance that I can turn him loose with the Bismuth.
Scott Chapman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scott Chapman For Your Post:
Unread 10-02-2018, 06:30 AM   #6
Craig Larter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,898 Times in 1,725 Posts

Why not purchase RST bismuth with pressure and velocity ideal for vintage guns. No worries.
Craig Larter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Craig Larter For Your Post:
Unread 10-02-2018, 06:58 AM   #7
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,937 Times in 12,567 Posts

Indeed get some RST’s - why start your son off with those heavy flinch inducers?

A looong tome ago when I was about 13 I shot a borrowed Trojan with off-the-shelf heavy duck loads. I was too small for the gun to begin with let alone stuffing such cannon fodder into it. Yup, I developed a flinch and I kept on shooting the Trojan because it was way cooler than my cheap little single shot 20.

I guess my point is why shoot that stuff when there is something less punishing and about as effective?

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 10-02-2018, 01:46 PM   #8
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

I agree with Dean. I also don't think the hot 1 1/4 oz loads at 1325 fps. are the most effective. My duck guns patterned the old pigeon load of 1 1/4 at 1200 fps. better. I did a test in Sasketechawan of the +1300 fps loads vs. the 1200 fps. loads. In addition to a significant reduction in recoil, I definitely had more ducks dead in the air with the 1200 fps. loads. I could tell difference. I think it was the shorter shot string of the lower velocity loads that made the difference. I don't know for sure and my test was far from scientific, but I am covinced that the +1300 loads do not perform as well as the 1200 fps. loads. I never use +1300 1 1/4 oz. loads for anything after that test.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post:
Unread 10-02-2018, 05:18 PM   #9
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,371 Times in 3,285 Posts

All that you do to (or for) and old gun is cumulative. If its materials are stressed, it will catch up with you (and the gun) -- or the next owner -- in some fashion. Yes, they are tough, but why pound an old gun when you don't have to...and with the options for shells that we have now, you don't have to. If it's about the cost, well, I can't help there. That's between you and your wallet (or spouse, who may have your wallet anyway).

"'I promise you,' he said, 'on my word of honor, I won't die on the opening of the bird season.'" -- Robert Ruark (from The Old Man and the Boy)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Kent Bismuth loads
Unread 10-03-2018, 09:09 AM   #10
Pa. Parker Pal
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Kent Bismuth loads

SPORTING CLASSICS MAG. JUST DID AN ARTICLE ON THESE SHELLS WHICH I THOUGHT WAS A LITTLE MIS-LEADING. THE AUTHOR STATED THAT THESE SHELLS WERE GOOD TO USE IN OLDER VINTAGE SHOTGUNS. wITH THE LOAD SPECS THAT WERE PUBLISHED, i THOUGHT THEY WERE TOO HEAVY AND STATED SO IN MY COMMENT TO THAT ARTICLE. tHAT WAS MY HUMBLE OPINION.
nick balzano is offline   Reply With Quote