Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Rusty ammo
Unread 10-19-2009, 07:06 PM   #1
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,637 Times in 635 Posts

Default Rusty ammo

Sounds like the punchline for a bad joke, I know.

Friday I pulled out a couple of old boxes of American Eagan (Federal) Copper Plated Field loads for my 20 ga. Now, I have not touched these boxes in several years but they were the only 20 ga ammo I could find so I took them. When I opened one of the boxes I discovered that several of theem were pretty rusty. Around the primers and around the base of the brass. Some were so bad I doubt that I could even get them to seat properly in a chamber. Most were not that bad, with just a little coorsion on the brass. I cut open a couple of the worst shells and found the shot to be in perfect condition.

What say you experts? Would you shoot the non-rusted shells that are not really bad and dispose of the rest or would you just dispose of them all?

Thanks,

JDG
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2009, 07:25 PM   #2
C Roger Giles
PGCA Member

Member Info

Hell I would shoot all of them, guns are not sissys.

PTG Roger
C Roger Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2009, 07:57 PM   #3
George Blair
PGCA Member

Member Info

Jay, shoot those not rusted. Those that are rusted run the risk of hull seperation, or gas leakage. Just not worth the risk! George
George Blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2009, 10:04 PM   #4
Pittypatdugan
PGCA Member

Member Info

I had several flats of winchester 20 ga that had steel hulls or the silver kind whatever they were made of, that were in an old ice chest to keep them dry.
Somehow my men moved it outside and it filled with rain water. They were so badly rusted, I had to put each shell on the wire brush wheel to clean them.

All worked fine on the skeet field, all 500 of them.

PDD
Pat Dugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2009, 11:18 PM   #5
C Roger Giles
PGCA Member

Member Info

There is an old saying on the trap field that if you can get the round in the gun you can shoot it. This saying is praticed all the time even by those shooting Perrazzi's.

Roger

Last edited by C Roger Giles; 10-19-2009 at 11:20 PM.. Reason: said it better
C Roger Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2009, 12:18 AM   #6
George Blair
PGCA Member

Member Info

Another old saying, shells are cheap, eyes aren't. George
George Blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2009, 12:42 AM   #7
VH20
Forum Associate

Member Info

I did this recently with some rusted 20s. I cleaned them gently with a wire brush in a Dremel - they don't have enough power to heat up the primer! If they were pitted, I wouldn't have shot them, but none were pitted - it was all just surface rust so I shot them with no concerns whatsoever.

Jim
Jim Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2009, 06:02 AM   #8
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

I've given a lot of rusty old paper ammo a try. I do clean the corrosion off and am careful to check the bores after shooting. I've had a few paper hulls separate entirely and go out, leaving the base in the chamber and have had a lot of base brass split longitudinally and even all the way around the extractor rim fold, but it's amazing what will still go boom and kill birds.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2009, 08:48 AM   #9
VH20
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Flanders View Post
I've given a lot of rusty old paper ammo a try. I do clean the corrosion off and am careful to check the bores after shooting. I've had a few paper hulls separate entirely and go out, leaving the base in the chamber and have had a lot of base brass split longitudinally and even all the way around the extractor rim fold, but it's amazing what will still go boom and kill birds.
Federal paper hulls have a tendency to split around the rim like that even when new. I bought a bunch of once-fired Fed. paper hulls from BPI or Precision that looked like they were in pristine condition - except when inspected closely about 20% were split exactly like that. I sent them back and they replaced them with good ones.

Jim
Jim Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2009, 01:32 PM   #10
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

The ones I had split around the rim were/are likely at least 50yrs old if not 60 so the brass had turned brittle. I have one in front of me that is split completely around the rim but nothing separated. I give nearly anything a try but will always be very careful to check the bore after shooting them. I have a lot of old rifle ammo from my grandfathers collection. Most of old 6.5mm mauser ammo has split around the neck where the bullet put tension on the neck. I've seen that in a lot of old bottleneck type rifle ammo.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote