Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

reloading help...
Unread 03-31-2013, 07:38 AM   #1
chris dawe
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 2,798 Times in 608 Posts

Default reloading help...

I reload some rifle ammo ,but the scarcity of short shotgun ammo for my old guns is forcing me into the shotshell world.

On advice of the supplier I have on order some components for short ten's (ITX shot ) and 16's,and the appropriate manuals for 10,16 and ITX shot

the components are as follows

10 Federal hulls (trimmed )BPD 10 wad's,and 12 gauge filler wads ,#2 ITX shot

16 Fiocchi hull's, commander wads,7 1/2 magnum shot (both 10 and 16 will be roll crimped )

The powders and primers I have to buy seperately from another Canadian supplier who sells Hogden,Winchester and IMR powders

I've went through Petes gracious post on short ten loads,but couldn't find one that listed the component's I have,and as I haven't received my manuals yet my question is how critical are the exact component's to each load recipe? (as in cartridge loads )

And also ,what powder and primer combo would be a good compromise in both gauges ,as I'm trying to keep costs down

Thanks before hand for any help you guys can give me,

Chris
chris dawe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chris dawe For Your Post:
Unread 03-31-2013, 07:50 AM   #2
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

Chris,

ITX is harder to load for our older guns because the ITX maker, Ballistics Products believed in high velocity. That philosophy usually mean higher pressure.

The load below is from BPI, at 10500 PSI which is only 500 PSI below the SAAMI maximum working pressure! You better make sure your old gun's barrels have plenty of wall thickness!

BPI L0AD#100907-2465-4/2/BB
HULL: FEDERAL 10ga. 2-7/8” (2.85”)
PRIMER: FED209A
PROPELLANT: HODGDON UNIVERSAL CLAYS 33.0 Grains
WAD: Helarco VP100
SHOT: 1-1/4 oz ITX #4 or #2, or BB (546gr.)
BUFFER: none
ROLL CRIMP: For over shot card use a COS12 or a N710 card.
Result: PSI 10500 FPS 1435

Other BPI loads include:
BPI L0AD#
HULL: FEDERAL 10ga. 2-7/8” (2.85”)
PRIMER: FED209A
PROPELLANT: PB 30.0 Grains
WAD: Helarco VP100
SHOT: 1-1/4 oz ITX #4 or #2, or BB (546gr.)
BUFFER: none
ROLL CRIMP: For over shot card use a COS12 or a N710 card.
Result: PSI 9500 FPS 1325

I have bought ITX but use it a little. Most of mine sits on the shelf because Nice Shot is so lethal and so much easier to load!

My favorite load for the Short Ten is:

HULL: *FEDERAL 10ga. *2-7/8” (2.85”) * *
PRIMER: FED209A*
PROPELLANT: Longshot 33.0 Grains*
WAD: *SP-10
SHOT: *1-3/8 oz Nice Shot*
BUFFER: *Mica*
ROLL CRIMP: *For over shot card use a COS12 or a N710 card. *
Result: PSI 8780 FPS 1335

There is also a new non-toxic American E-Shot
http://www.reloadingspecialtiesinc.c...ican_Shot.html

E-Shot looks good but I haven't tried it yet.

USMC Retired
USMC Distinguished Marksman
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Benefactor - Ring of Freedom member

Last edited by Mark Ouellette; 03-31-2013 at 08:30 AM..
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Ouellette For Your Post:
Unread 03-31-2013, 09:44 AM   #3
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,073 Times in 1,730 Posts

Chris, Send me your email and I will send you everything I have on Fiocchi 16 gauge loads.
Unread 03-31-2013, 10:42 AM   #4
chris dawe
Forum Associate

Member Info

Guys thanks so much for your help so far ,my current 10 is a N.I.D ,shes heavy enough

Dave PM sent.

Best,
Chris
Unread 04-02-2013, 07:24 AM   #5
chris dawe
Forum Associate

Member Info

So back to one of my original questions ...how critical (re: pressure ) is the use of the exact components (well,wads really) in a particular recipe?....sorry if I sound a little ignorant on this ,I still haven't received my manuals yet ,and I like to do things by the book.

Other than that ,the generosity of Pete Lester and Dave Suponski have me all set up !
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chris dawe For Your Post:
Unread 04-02-2013, 07:28 AM   #6
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

Chris,

Changing a component can change pressure very much! Follow the loading tables and do not substitute.

Mark

USMC Retired
USMC Distinguished Marksman
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Benefactor - Ring of Freedom member
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark Ouellette For Your Post:
Unread 04-02-2013, 08:51 AM   #7
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 5,055 Times in 1,426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris dawe View Post
So back to one of my original questions ...how critical (re: pressure ) is the use of the exact components (well,wads really) in a particular recipe?....sorry if I sound a little ignorant on this ,I still haven't received my manuals yet ,and I like to do things by the book.

Other than that ,the generosity of Pete Lester and Dave Suponski have me all set up !
Chris, I am a little more daring then some and will switch some components when advertised pressures of a known recipe are lower rather than higher. Case in point I would be comfortable using a Remington SP-10 in place of the Ballistic Product Wad (VP100) since they are very similar in construction and identical in capacity. The BPD was is a steel shot wad. It provides no shock absorber and is very tall. I believe it is a greater surface area in contact with the bore than the two wads above which may lead to higher pressure so I would not use it in lieu of the VP100.

I would also be inclined to back the powder off about 10% on that load using 33 gr of Universal Clays, not only is it high pressure but it's a screamer at 1435 fps.

Have fun with the Short Ten.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pete Lester For Your Post:
Unread 04-05-2013, 11:03 AM   #8
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Ballistic Products promotes mostly their products. That's why I don't usually buy from them. I feel they're over priced and all the reloading data I have doesn't include their products. Anyways, you may want to check the base wad in a Fed hull - it could be paper. Those have been known to come loose and lodge in the barrel. That's why I buy the Rem 10ga hulls [ from Precision Reloading ]. As far as changing components, most guys don't, especially if your load is near max pressures. Now if you're loading at low pressures, like I do, there's a little lee way. Win, Noble Sport, Cheddites, CCI, Rem primers are all medium primers where as Fed and CCI M's are hot primers. If your data calls for a medium primer and all you have is a hot one, then going down a full grain in charge is ok in IMHO. I have many reloading guides from the powder companies and any load is shown with about a 4gr spread depending on what velocity you want. The faster the load, the more pressure. So if you only have a load with high velocity you can always go down a couple of grains. Try em and look down the barrel to see how dirty it is. Too dirty and you're not burning all the powder. Also, you can always use fiber wads from www.circlefly.com - with a fiber wad pressure won't be higher - if anything lower. In rifle reloading, a tenth of a grain or two difference in powder makes a big difference where as in shotgun reloading a three tenth spread is a lot of times normal. Just about all powders can be loaded with a four grain spread [ not tenths ]. You have a bigger safety factor. Good luck - Paul
Visit Paul Harm's homepage!
Unread 04-05-2013, 11:48 AM   #9
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 5,055 Times in 1,426 Posts

WRT the Federal 10ga hull and the paper basewad coming loose. I think that worry is akin to worrying about shooting nitro powder loads in composite barrels, ie nothing to worry to about. The guys who reload the high pressure fast steel in 3.5" hulls are not worried about it, I am with them. FWIW hulls with paper/composite base wads will have lower pressures than hulls with plastic base wads.

I agree with Paul loading for shotguns does not require the same precision as metallic cartridge.

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum...?f=14&t=118668
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pete Lester For Your Post:
Unread 04-08-2013, 11:13 AM   #10
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Pete, I've read where the paper base wads have come loose and a blown barrel is the result and a lot of other reloading forums warn of this problem. With a SxS it's easy enough to check the barrels after every shot. The reason Federal shells [ in 12ga ] have lower pressures is because they're a straight walled case and have more volume than a tapered wall case like a Remington or Winchester. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but there are loads listed for you to use. It doesn't matter what size shot you use or what type - the bismuth, IXT, or lead, as long as you load the same weight as what's listed. Also, I believe Remington is the only one making a 10ga wad - the SP10. BPI may list it as theirs, but it's still a Remington SP10. So, using the type of shot you want and a Federal hull with the SP10 wad there should be many loads for you to chose from. Good luck - Paul