Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 08-26-2010, 06:03 PM   #11
Gerald McPherson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Jay; Be very very careful. Dove shooting is a thing that will really get in your blood. I don't know how many years I have hunted them but it is one of the most enjoyable things I've done so far. About this time each year I start soaking my trigger finger with WD40. My hunting buddies start saying LOW BIRD instead of hello. Have fun and don't worry about the numbers. Enjoy. Gerald
Gerald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2010, 09:37 PM   #12
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,795 Times in 3,967 Posts

...its a day of good fun and sport...a day to remember how bad a shot we really are...what the heck take a shot at that dove thats not in range...forget aboutcounting the number of shells youve shot..just keep up with the numbers of doves youve shot down in case wardin comes by.... a safe and good hunt to all...... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 08-30-2010, 04:45 PM   #13
Andrew Thompson
Forum Associate

Member Info

We go to great lenths to manage an area of our farm for doves and opening day is a celebrated event. It's the kick-off!! The first season of the year!! Time to take the guns out of the cabinets and brush up on our excuses for missing. I love the 20 for doves. My VH (32" F/M) and I will be posted at my designated spot. My father and I have an arragement that if after one box of shells either of us need another box to kill a 12 bird limit, the price is $50 for that second box. I have never left the field with my $50 bill. If you are shoting birds at distances greater that 25 yards, I recomend using tighter chokes with smaller gauges. Many of the birds you will be shooting are yearlings and they are small. The denser patterns serve well. Enjoy!!
Andrew Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Thompson For Your Post:
opening dove season
Unread 09-01-2010, 11:55 PM   #14
james van blaricum
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default opening dove season

We have been driving the roads of south central kansas looking at the dove populatin Up until last weeks cold fronts and rain it looked pretty good then all of a sudden we didn't seem to have the doves in fact it was looking pretty bleak. We went out this evening to our usual pond and set up our decoys and the roto dove and got settled in. Had my 20 bore repro and plenty of shells. At approximately 6;30 all hell broke loose. The doves were coming in by droves. In fact, I was just standing out in the pasture and shooting as fast as I could load my 20 Parker. Finally at about 7;30 we called it quits and loaded up three limits and headed for the house and a glass of
whiskey. What a time.
james van blaricum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to james van blaricum For Your Post:
Fun opener in southern Colorado
Unread 09-02-2010, 10:44 AM   #15
Duckman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Fun opener in southern Colorado

I still can't shoot due to recent shoulder surgery but took my 11 year old son Wyatt out last night to a favorite spot on our farm for the dove opener. (he has been featured on this site before with ducks and his first turkey) He had his M12 16 ga with the Cutts compensator and his spreader tube installed. Our limit is 15 and he did his best ever bagging 14 using a whopping 3 boxes of shells. When we got back to the house he kept saying "if I only had one more shell" he could have had his limit. Being that he is only 11 numbers in the bag are important to him. Of course when he emptied his pockets he found he did indeed have one more shell!
I had fun working our dog, helping Wyatt and moaning about the many shots I could have had. A good time was had by all.
Peter Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Clark For Your Post:
Unread 09-02-2010, 11:20 AM   #16
james van blaricum
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Peter; it sounds like you got your limit by watching your grandson. That is great. I wish my sons were close. Have you ever used the roto dove? it has batteries and the wings go in circles. It is amazing how it attracks doves. Hope the shoulder gets better.
james van blaricum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2010, 04:19 PM   #17
Tom Holcombe Jr.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Just remember to follow through and have fun!!!!!!!!!
Tom Holcombe Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2010, 04:46 PM   #18
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,795 Times in 3,967 Posts

sept. 4 is opening day for us here in mississippi...i wiull be shotting a 20 ga parker with 26 inch barrels an cly and cly chokes...for back up i will have the lc smith 16 ga... the wait is killing meall time having nightmares that all the doves have flown farther south....hope to hear some good stories from you fellas..good shooting and be safeeveryone......charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2010, 07:37 PM   #19
Mike Stahle
Forum Associate

Member Info

My first opportunity for Dove will be this Sat. afternoon.
I’m very anxious to give this BP loading a try on Dove.
It is a very enjoyable load to shoot from a #1 frame.
Kind of wish MAGTECH would make a 2” brass short shell for my light load.
But the 2.5” gives me much versatility.

Mike Stahle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2010, 09:10 PM   #20
Jeff K.
PGCA Lifetime

Admin

Member Info

Thanked 2,793 Times in 651 Posts

Why don't you just cut a box of them down to 2"?
Jeff Kuss is online now   Reply With Quote