Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 04-11-2015, 09:07 AM   #51
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

Alternatively to my last post one could buy an original AH Fox parts kit from Pumpkin Mountain and PAY a qualified gunsmith to hand fit all the parts, engrave the barrels and action, and finish to a high level. The labor alone would exceed $10k! A 20 gauge kit starts at $4,205. Add to that $700 to $1,000 for high grade English Walnut and the cost will exceed $15k!
Attached Images
File Type: png Pumkin Mountain Fox Parts Kit.png (391.5 KB, 250 views)

USMC Retired
USMC Distinguished Marksman
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Benefactor - Ring of Freedom member
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2015, 09:23 AM   #52
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,618 Times in 989 Posts

XXX
Unread 04-11-2015, 09:24 AM   #53
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

I have more into Gunner's Gun than it will ever bring on the secondary market but to me it's priceless. To have a gun commissioned to your specifications is truly one of life's greatest pleasures.

I really haven't looked at shotguns much recently as I have been working on my M70 collection but seeing that Fox once again has me drooling once more. Where there is a will there is a way. If any gun ever screamed home equity loan it's this one IMHO but then again I'm a little creative when it comes to nice small bores
Unread 04-11-2015, 10:47 AM   #54
Ruff Hunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Anderson View Post
Steve is a great guy to deal with period! I would have had the CSMC DE 28 IF he could have traded but like I said before it's a consignment gun and I have two Parker 28's.

Ruff Hunter please tell me where I can buy a Boss, Purdey or Holland & Holland small bore for $20K. I have a very nice Holland & Holland Badminton 20GA (also purchased from Steve) that was significantly more than a CSMC Fox.
In just a few minutes, I found this one comparable example that's in the ball park of the numbers that are being thrown around...with a little more research, I suspect several more could be located.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=476422582

And if one is not firmly wed to the smaller bores, examples like this Purdey best 12 gauge start looking cheap compared to the CSMC Fox.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=477759751

I'm not saying the Fox isn't worth it, just that I'm initially skeptical due to CSMC's gross over-pricing of its inventory of used guns from other makers. Some time ago I checked CSMC's feedback on GB, and from what I could tell, it was all the result of selling accessories. It did not appear, at least at that time, that they had ever actually sold a used gun on that site. When a seller over prices some of its inventory like that, they should expect that people are going to become cautious of the cost of their other products, and that's my only point regarding the CSMC Foxes.
Justin Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2015, 11:20 AM   #55
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,557 Posts

Not sure I agree with the "gross overpricing" assessment . They must sell them, otherwise they'd be outta business. You have to turn your inventory.
Unread 04-11-2015, 11:47 AM   #56
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Ruff Hunter the H&H is a solid $10K over the cost of the asking price of the 28ga Kenny bought. The Purdey is a 12 so it's less expensive than a small bore.
Unread 04-11-2015, 01:55 PM   #57
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,089 Times in 1,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Anderson View Post
Ruff Hunter the H&H is a solid $10K over the cost of the asking price of the 28ga Kenny bought. The Purdey is a 12 so it's less expensive than a small bore.
Also you better take a close look at the Purdey barrels (very possible sleeved). I have a couple of English guns and I love them and I also love my Fox FE, they are different animals.
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2015, 05:04 PM   #58
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,874 Times in 4,756 Posts

I'm glad that Greg brought up the fact that the CE Grade CSMC Fox was originally offered at $5650.00 (my recollection) or $5600, his recollection. That is quite an appreciation, more than any other mentioned here for other guns. I saw an AE Grade CSMC Fox offered for $5995.00. I may be mistaken about that price. How much would that sell for today? On clearing my memory, I recall that the AE CSMC 20 gauge was priced at $9995.00 at a time when the CE was selling for quite a bit more. I would have bought the gun from Tony if it were a 28 or .410, but it was a 28" 20 gauge.
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2015, 08:28 PM   #59
Ruff Hunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Eis View Post
Also you better take a close look at the Purdey barrels (very possible sleeved). I have a couple of English guns and I love them and I also love my Fox FE, they are different animals.
There is nothing in the description that discloses sleeved barrels, and I don't see the typical vertical line that results from sleeving. What do you base your suspicion on? It would be unlike Vintage to offer a best gun for sale without disclosing something so material.
Justin Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2015, 11:30 PM   #60
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,089 Times in 1,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Julian View Post
There is nothing in the description that discloses sleeved barrels, and I don't see the typical vertical line that results from sleeving. What do you base your suspicion on? It would be unlike Vintage to offer a best gun for sale without disclosing something so material.
Justin, I am not saying it is or not, but look at the date of the gun and I wonder how many fluid steel guns were made and the price even for a 12 ga Purdey is very low (did you call and ask). I know Jay and he prices his guns fairly so again I wonder why the low price. I am not trying to pick a fight here, all I was saying was the Fox gun by CSMC is a very high quality gun with a ton of hand craftsmanship into it, and yes it is expensive but a new Purdey is also very, very expensive. Now I am done with this thread as you seem to want to poison this thread with your feeling about how Tony runs his business and not about the craftsmanship of the Fox guns which is what started this thread.
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote