Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Grouse loads : Is # 8 shot too small ?
Unread 09-20-2010, 04:23 PM   #1
Double Trouble
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Grouse loads : Is # 8 shot too small ?

I was planning on using RST spreader loads in my Parker for grouse this year.

In an effort to get a wide pattern, I fear that using too large a pellet will lessen my pattern density. As a result, I've certainly rules out # 6 shot. However, is # 8 too small for grouse ?

Please let me know of your experiences with # 8 vs. # 7 1/2.

Thanks !
John Mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2010, 04:32 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

John, I use #8 shot early in the season when there is still foliage to break up your pattern and the grouse flush relatively close but I switch to #7 or #7 1/2 when there is no foliage and the grouse flush farther out. #6 isn't a bad choice for very late season and if you don't have a dog.

My reasoning for the larger shot sizes later in the season it its (marginally) better down-range energy. I use whatever choke combination that my "gun of choice" for the day happens to have.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2010, 04:34 PM   #3
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Yup, I agree with Mr. Romig
Unread 09-20-2010, 04:35 PM   #4
Double Trouble
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks Dean.

I'm going on a hunt with the Ruffed Grouse Society in November, so I want to have as much "help" as possible hitting birds. (...since there will be witnesses !)

I think 7 1/2 may be the way to go...
John Mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2010, 04:58 PM   #5
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

Dean's advice is sound and in my experience it's dead on. I think 7-1/2 is probably a safe bet when the leaves are down so you should be OK.
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay Gardner For Your Post:
Unread 09-20-2010, 07:03 PM   #6
Hammer
Forum Associate

Member Info

I have a box of #8's in my bag to back up the half box of 7 1/2's I have been using in the early season. I think 7 1/2 to 8's is splitting hairs and I've had good luck with both.

FWIW, in November, I get away from spreaders. Maybe a #7 shot in the right tube and a #6 shot in the second.

Good luck.
David Hamming is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to David Hamming For Your Post:
Unread 09-21-2010, 08:36 AM   #7
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,566 Times in 1,099 Posts

My two cents worth is this ,regardless of the gauge of gun I am carrying ,I always load the more opened choke barrel with # 7 or 7 1/2 ,figuring ,the bird should be closer upon the flush ,I will have more shot in the air and still have good shot penetration at a close target ,and I load # 6 ,in the tighter barrel to make sure I get the most penetration possible for a down range target ,also if you have a runner and the bird flushes wild down range ,it may give you the ability for a longer than usual first shot ,and still give you a " Clean Kill " ,and really ,that is what it's all about , when hunting Pheasants ,sometimes later in the season ,I will even drop down to # 5 shot in my tighter barrel , this combination seems to work well for me ! Good Luck Hunting !
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russ Jackson For Your Post:
Unread 09-21-2010, 09:28 AM   #8
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

Russ,

In the past I have employed a similar strategy, especially in the early part of the season when hunting areas where there were more woodcock than grouse. Right barrel was loaded with 7/8-oz of #9 and left with 1-oz of copper plated #8's. Looking back on it, taking a shot at a grouse with a skeet load was probably a little irresponsible and I'd should have gone #8 and#7-1/2.

JDG
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay Gardner For Your Post:
Unread 09-21-2010, 09:46 AM   #9
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,566 Times in 1,099 Posts

Jay , I am sure you have had success with this ,but in our neck of the woods ,only a week or so into the season and we are hunting Pheasant also ,a real mixed game bag , and I just never felt the need for the very fine shot . I have a Male Britt ,that just loves Woodcock ,and seems to point them from a mile away ,there are areas where I hunt that the only bird in the covert will be Woodcock , at one point I owned a OO Frame 28 Ga. w/ a set of Briley 410 tubes and I would take ,the little " 410 " ,the only way ,I will probably ever own one !! A box of # 8's ,my old Dog Chip ,and head out for Woodcock and just make the Woodcock areas my hunt for the day ! A good time was had by all ,and the # 8's worked just fine ! The other truth is ,I never get that much shot into my Grouse ,that I have to worry about excessive mutilation !.
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2010, 12:50 PM   #10
Roundsworth
PGCA Member

Member Info

Great advice from all! I use 7-1/2 with excellent results in my 20. Right now, the foliage is quite thick and the grass at the edges of trails is pert near waist high. I don't have a dog to enhance my hunting and always hunt alone, so I have to rely on sight and sound to find the birds. I have located lotsa grouse when they make the little 'gleep-gleep' sounds or when they start scampering away. Very rarely, the birds fly across or down the trail, allowing me a chance at a decent aerial shot. Otherwise, if they take off, they usually head for the deep woods. Even if I hit one way out in the brush, the odds of me finding the bird get slim, unless it is wounded and flapping. I do all right, though. I can only recall 2 or 3 times when I could not find a bird. Cheers!
'Desert Storm'
'Southern Watch'
Mark Landskov is offline   Reply With Quote