Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

its time
Unread 07-13-2010, 07:54 PM   #1
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

Default its time

its time to start getting ready for the fall hunt. i started bushhogging today will have to put disk on in a few days. will be putting outa few plots for the deer hope this will attract a few doves. dove crop looks good here and deer herdslook ok. charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 07-13-2010, 08:47 PM   #2
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,566 Times in 1,099 Posts

HI Charlie ,Hey ,are you going to use that little GH 20 on those Dove , it ought to be " BAD MEDICINE " on them !!!!!! Russ
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 04:55 PM   #3
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

yes sir ree im gona use that little 20 ga parker on those doves. ive loaded up some light loads of no 8 s for them doves. should be a good year i bushed hogged all day. thanks again russ for a swell gun. charlie
Unread 07-15-2010, 06:46 AM   #4
ch
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

whens your dove season open charlie. it opens here sept. 1 hopefully we wont have a cool spell and they all bug out. don't tell but i'm going to use my new 10 jest got to shoot it. ch
calvin humburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 07:32 PM   #5
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

our season opens sept. 1 also. i have also used the mighty ten on doves hope you kill a sackful with your ten ga. calven. i disked up part of my field today. planted wheat for deer and what ever critter that comes along. boy its hot here in old miss. hope it s better on opening day. charlie
Unread 07-15-2010, 10:19 PM   #6
Blind Dog
Forum Associate

Member Info

Charlie, It's been pretty hot here too, but things are looking up. The end of April I set fire to my ten year old 30 acre field of switch an other crap (my CRP contract had expired). I called the Polk volunteers first and they told me to go ahead and if they got a call they wouldn't respond unless it was from me. I had my Rhino with a barrel of water and a bucket and a broom and the field is bordered by 20' of green cool season grass. The wind was about 4 mph out of the ESE so I started on the west end with the Zippo and moved east a couple 100 yards and worked it again. When I was about 3/4 done, I thought I better check the perimeter; it was really cooking by then (little tornadic flames 40-50 feet in the air). Well, on the NW side it had jumped the cool season line and was headed through the dry leaves and dead wood into the hollow. I went to work the the broom and the bucket but it was gaining on me and in the steep hollow, being old an out of shape, I called 911 and asked the dispatcher to send their 1 ton 4WD with the 600 gallon tank and 150 foot hose. Well, Cap't Carl showed up first in his SUV with the Sheriff's star on it with 2 little extinguisers, one empty and the other half full. He got on the radio and called in the troops. Anyway it turned into a 3 alarm deal with Polk, New Pittsburg and Jeromesville responding. The result was that one of the units I asked for solved the problem, but the others had to do something so they proceeded to put out the parts I wanted to burn. Anyway, I got 90% of it done and the field looked like it had been napalmed, showing a lot of ant hills. Two and a half months later the switch grass is back, head high and thick; and a lot of crud (multiflora, briars) is gone, at least temporarily. Most of my friends don't like hunting the switch on my place (I guess they'd rather work their dogs on a golf course); but if they put a beeper on their pointer or put their shoulder to the cover and kept with their flusher, they'd get their game and the dogs don't mind at all.
Charlie, I also put out a couple of food plots in the field. I used the bucket on the tractor to push up a dike in a couple of drainages to make a water puddle in the center. When it rains, it works; when it's doesn't, it's dry. We'll se if that helps. The seed has been in the ground for a month and a half; the sunflowers are ready to bloom, the sorgum is starting to head out and the corn is knee high. I hope it attracts a few doves in a couple months.

Fred (Francis, how'm I doin')
Fred Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 10:34 AM   #7
James Brown
PGCA Member

Member Info

The "little dove field behind the house" is coming along. Millet has topped out and the sunflowers are getting there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drayton bd 020.JPG (157.2 KB, 14 views)
James Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 11:40 AM   #8
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

James, What wonderful picture! Please enter it in the "Parker of the Month" contest...
Unread 07-20-2010, 12:21 PM   #9
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,239 Times in 12,378 Posts

Great picture James!

It seems you have more than one .410
That one has a lot of original condition - very pretty!
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 04:28 PM   #10
James Brown
PGCA Member

Member Info

Mr. Suponski: Thanks, I'll enter it, although I'm a little confused as to which month the contest is for.
Mr. Romig: Thanks also, I'm down to the one you see. My other two now reside elsewhere, the upside being I got tuition covered. The case color is not that bright with gun in hand, must be the morning light.
James
James Brown is offline   Reply With Quote