Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 04-17-2023, 09:28 PM   #21
Bill Jolliff
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,181 Times in 271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Mason View Post
It’s been awhile since I’ve been this excited about loading and hunting upland again

My MEC press will be here and I can’t learn it all fast enough

I was wondering
Can you load them brass hulls or cases with todays powders instead of the black powder
They sell them in 2 1/2 inches and would be perfect

I was think about buy 50 to start
Just not sure about loading them with todays powder , I was going to get some stuff from that site track the wolf

If load them by hand with the dippers in 1 ounce for shot and get the right one for powders
Dick,

I am not real sure what you would like to load.

12 gauge it looks like. How much lead shot? 3/4. 7/8, 1 or 1 1/8 ounce?

Brass hulls? Not sure if most plastic wads available today would fit real well in a thinner walled brass hull.

I think best to use what is commonly available today in plastic wads for plastic hulls. For a 12 gauge Parker in good shape, 2 3/4 inch hulls will be fine.

I'm sure any 209 shotshell primers would be OK.

What powder do you intend to use? The amount of lead shot will be a factor.

Take your time and be certain of what your goal will be. Loading recipes on powder manufacturers web sites have a lot of data. Check them out.

Once you decide on what weight shot you want to load and what powder you would like to use, and available, please get back to us and we can give you more details if you need them.

Yeah, get something loaded up for your Parker - and shoot it.

In the meantime if that might be too long to wait, get some factory loaded low pressure loads, like RST.

Bill
Bill Jolliff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Jolliff For Your Post:
Unread 04-17-2023, 10:32 PM   #22
Richard Mason
PGCA Member

Member Info

Bill
If I could of got RST loads or any other on 2 1/2 , I most likely would of not got this reloading stuff
Very hard to get anything up here in Canada
Richard Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2023, 10:43 PM   #23
Bill Jolliff
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Mason View Post
Bill
If I could of got RST loads or any other on 2 1/2 , I most likely would of not got this reloading stuff
Very hard to get anything up here in Canada
Ah, Canada, eh?

Yeah, that could be kinda tough. Not sure what to suggest.

Tricky to get loading stuff down here in the US and near impossible in Canada.

Any body else have any ideas?

Bill
Unread 04-18-2023, 09:26 AM   #24
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,312 Times in 1,219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Jolliff View Post
Dick,
If you'd like to go a little lighter, here is my recipe for 12 gauge with a 1/2 ounce of lead shot.

Remington hull: Gun Club, Nitro Gold or STS. Older Winchester AACF hulls OK too.
Cheddite, Winchester or Remington 209 primer.
14 grains of Alliant Extra Lite powder.
CB 0175-12 pink wad for 3/4 ounce.
I put a Circle Fly 20 gauge 0.620" dia by 0.135" thick nitro card in the bottom of the CB wad.

I had them tested in 2015 by Tom Armbrust. About 5500 psi and 1350 fps.

I've shot about 15,000 plus over the past 8 years.

They work fine, burn clean and if you hit the bird it breaks, if you miss it, it won't.

They may not make diesel smoke out there at 30 yards but they do break birds. Nice mild recoil and the lead and powder usage is a lot lower.

And by the way, there isn't a clay bird that can't be broken with this load at our local Sporting Clay's course. (Emphasis by Frank)

I hope this helps.

Bill
I shoot clays quite often on regular sporting courses with 410's and 1/2 ounce of 8's and 9's (2-1/2" shells) and have to be dead nuts centered on the bird or it's a miss. That's why I call them Professor guns. 1/2 ounce in a 12-gauge has got to be just as critical if not more so owing to the much shorter shot column. Bill, I've never been at your local Clays course but I'm wondering if it’s set with a lot of "cupcape" presentations, to use the jargon of sporting clays shooters.

Me? My light 12 gauge practice load is 7/8 ounce of 7-1/2’s or 8”s at about 1150 speed and driven by Alliant E3 powder. That’s in Remington hulls, Cheddite primers and gray Claybuster wads.
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank Srebro For Your Post:
Unread 04-18-2023, 05:29 PM   #25
Bill Jolliff
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Srebro View Post
I shoot 1/2 ounce of 8's and 9's in 410's (2-1/2" shells) quite often and have to be dead nuts centered on the bird or it's a miss. 1/2 ounce in a 12-gauge has got to be just as critical if not more so owing to the much shorter shot column. Bill, I've never been at your local Clays course but I'm wondering if it’s set with a lot of "cupcape" presentations, to use the jargon of sporting clays shooters.
Hi Frank,

Yes, our course has a lot of "cupcake" presentations that do not include any real long, Bo Whoop type shots. Hence, a half ounce of shot in the right place will "kill" your bird. There are enough tricky ones tho that will make you humble.

Ya gota hit 'em tho. 1/2 ounce or 1 ounce, ya gota hit 'em!

Admittedly, some by what you have called, a "Golden BB" that produces that visible chip. (I sure wish they put more of those in a bag of shot.)

We don't keep score but we do like to do the best we can. For me, and the mostly old farts I shoot with most of the time, it's more social and it's good exercise. As in, a one mile plus walk carrying a 7 1/2 pound side by side. A Fox or Parker of course.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill Jolliff For Your Post:
Unread 09-04-2023, 02:07 PM   #26
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

I've been shooting 3 /4oz 12ga loads for as long as I can remember. This is clay targets mine ya. Maybe back when CBers first came out with their 3/4oz wad. Bill, at first you'll probably make a few mistakes in what you buy, but keep it. It can usually be used latter for something else. In the past I never had much luck loading nitro powders in brass shells. It all has to do with the crimp [ I think ]. The military had brass shells and Buck Shot, but they used a swedged crimp - a vey slight roll crimp. Most of us guys don't want to roll the end because it would wear out. I believe Charlie has had some luck with nitro in brass shells. I've made it work with 410s [ 444 Marlins fire formed ] and plenty of hot glue. Because you want a thin, .028, onershot card, I was always afraid of using too much of anything on top of the shot [ a thick OS card will give you donut patterns ]. But another guy using plenty of HG and 410s, well, I gave it a try and it works. Good luck.
Visit Paul Harm's homepage!