Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 03-27-2023, 07:00 PM   #11
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,669 Times in 2,629 Posts

I need to send some 2 1/2" 1 oz 12g loads to them too. Is their pressure gun fixed?
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 03-27-2023, 07:10 PM   #12
Jeff Sweeter
PGCA Member

Member Info

BTW,Tom Armbrust doesn't like my theory of using a Remington 1100 for pressure testing,and I agree with him.I did have him test a load for me a couple years ago that was a little warm.It started out as a 1 3/8 ounce,2 3/4 inch bismuth load towards the higher end of velocity and pressure and I switched out the wad for one that fit better and allowed a nicer crimp.The wad swap raised the pressure over 2500 PSI.Tom called me immediately after testing them and told me don't load any more,they are darn near proof loads.Im pretty cautious about swapping components since then.This was a load from hodgdon site,with the wad being the only thing different.
Jeff Sweeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2023, 07:14 PM   #13
Jeff Sweeter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Hey Mike, I was there last week and spoke with them and they said their pressure gun was up and running again.They didn't test my loads till they got it fixed as I was told by them.Jeff
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Sweeter For Your Post:
Unread 03-28-2023, 08:05 AM   #14
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,771 Times in 2,005 Posts

Thanks for sharing your load results, will put them in my reloading 3 ring binder for future reference. Dont have those powders currently, but you never know what you are gonna find.
Unread 03-29-2023, 06:15 PM   #15
Jeff Sweeter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Hey guys, I had a visit with Tom Armbrust this afternoon and I discussed with him some of the loads I had tested.In particularly the low pressure Long Shot loads.As noted by a couple posts they were quite erratic for pressure.I don't dought any of the results I got from Precision.Toms explanation of the Long Shot loads was with that particular powder being a slow burning powder,when you possibly didn't use enough to get pressures up towards 6500 - 8000 PSI it became erratic,as noted by the test results.This is possibly why Hodgdon doesn't list any loads that are in the 1200 fps range as the pressure drops too much and is not consistent.Makes sense to me as by testing results.Im going to bump up the powder a bit on a couple of those loads and get tested again just to see what happens.Im also going to send Tom a couple more short ten loads with the new BP1044 wads.I will try to load them to compare with a tested load with the Remington SP10 wad.Jeff
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Sweeter For Your Post:
Unread 03-30-2023, 08:58 AM   #16
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,595 Times in 1,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Sweeter View Post
Hey guys, I had a visit with Tom Armbrust this afternoon and I discussed with him some of the loads I had tested.In particularly the low pressure Long Shot loads.As noted by a couple posts they were quite erratic for pressure.I don't dought any of the results I got from Precision.Toms explanation of the Long Shot loads was with that particular powder being a slow burning powder,when you possibly didn't use enough to get pressures up towards 6500 - 8000 PSI it became erratic,as noted by the test results.This is possibly why Hodgdon doesn't list any loads that are in the 1200 fps range as the pressure drops too much and is not consistent.Makes sense to me as by testing results.Im going to bump up the powder a bit on a couple of those loads and get tested again just to see what happens.Im also going to send Tom a couple more short ten loads with the new BP1044 wads.I will try to load them to compare with a tested load with the Remington SP10 wad.Jeff
Jeff I had this same thing occur with Longshot in a 10 gauge. I was using a published recipe that called for 30 grains as I recall it with 1 1/4 oz of shot. I decided to down size the payload to 1 oz keeping the 30 grains and adding another fiber filler. The velocity was all over the place with my chronograph to the point that it was useless. Not enough pressure to make it function.
Randy G Roberts is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Randy G Roberts For Your Post:
Unread 04-15-2023, 03:53 PM   #17
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

Jeff, I have had some very good success with Longshot in working low pressure loads up for my Damascus guns. I did have some inconsistency issues when the pressure was below about 5K but that is plenty low for the old guns. I "pirated" one of your 12 ga. loads, Thanks! Will try it soon.
Keith Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Doty For Your Post: