Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

Unread 12-31-2022, 04:17 PM   #31
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,786 Times in 4,718 Posts

My studio photo of a grey haired Dubray is on page 274 of Ed's book "Parker Guns, Shooting Flying, and the American Experience. Ed credited Dick Baldwin, who gave me the photo years before Ed thought of writing that book. He credited Dick because I told him that Dick gave it to me. When Ed was writing the book, at his request, I took a car full of Parkers and Parker literature to his son's house across the river from my home. We spent the afternoon taking pictures the result of which was two of my guns and the Dubray photo appearing in the book. Still not my favorite curmudgeon, but at least he was one. When he was taking orders for the book, I asked if there was a surcharge for "No Signature". It went right over his head. He had no idea of the insult of picturing two guns in his book when I spent most of a day posing dozens of them for him. Good old Ed.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
A.W. DuBray's Parker
Unread 12-31-2022, 08:11 PM   #32
Larry the Gun Guy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,530 Times in 376 Posts

Default A.W. DuBray's Parker

Now! Back to the gun;

That is a prize for sure; Arthur DuBray's 4 frame, 10 gauge, 32" Damascus barreled, Quality D, top action hammer gun with special matting on the top rib, weighing in at a man size 10 pounds 8 ounces, having 3-1/2" of drop at the heel.
What a find! And what a great story. Congratulations on that one.
Larry Stauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2023, 11:19 PM   #33
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Yup, we would like to hear more about the gun. Unfortunately, this thread went dead for three years and resurfaced as a discussion about DuBray. That's not a bad thing, after three years. OK, back to the gun.
Unread 01-02-2023, 03:22 PM   #34
Ed Blake
PGCA Member

Member Info

The gun recently found a new owner on this board, and maybe he’ll post any subsequent research on it if he finds anything of note. When I found the gun I was sure it was meant to be used as a Fowler, and maybe it was. However, I believe it was purchased as a live pigeon gun. My rationale is information I got from Cyril Adams’ “Live Pigeon Trapshooting” book published in 2017. Chapter 3 discusses pigeon guns and on page 130 he describes the “normal” American pigeon gun as existent in 1880: 10 bore at 9-10.5 lbs, 13.75” to 14.5” LOP; 3-3.5” drop. This pretty much describes this gun to a “T”. The special treatment of the rib convinces me even more that this was made as a money gun. Was it a Fowler? Probably but I’m convinced it was also used to shoot box birds. I’m especially curious about why this rib treatment was so uncommon when it works so well to cut glare. Evidence as a pigeon gun might be entirely circumstantial but that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.
Ed Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ed Blake For Your Post:
Unread 01-02-2023, 04:00 PM   #35
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,471 Times in 3,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Blake View Post
The gun recently found a new owner on this board, and maybe he’ll post any subsequent research on it if he finds anything of note. When I found the gun I was sure it was meant to be used as a Fowler, and maybe it was. However, I believe it was purchased as a live pigeon gun. My rationale is information I got from Cyril Adams’ “Live Pigeon Trapshooting” book published in 2017. Chapter 3 discusses pigeon guns and on page 130 he describes the “normal” American pigeon gun as existent in 1880: 10 bore at 9-10.5 lbs, 13.75” to 14.5” LOP; 3-3.5” drop. This pretty much describes this gun to a “T”. The special treatment of the rib convinces me even more that this was made as a money gun. Was it a Fowler? Probably but I’m convinced it was also used to shoot box birds. I’m especially curious about why this rib treatment was so uncommon when it works so well to cut glare. Evidence as a pigeon gun might be entirely circumstantial but that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.
Ed, I think your "story" is a pretty good one, and I'd stick to it, too, until some other facts come to light.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2023, 05:08 PM   #36
JAMES HALL
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Ed look close at the picture Randy Roberts posted
JAMES HALL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JAMES HALL For Your Post:
Unread 01-02-2023, 05:42 PM   #37
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,606 Times in 1,842 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMES HALL View Post
Ed look close at the picture Randy Roberts posted
Makes you wonder doesn't it.
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Randy G Roberts For Your Post:
Unread 01-02-2023, 06:06 PM   #38
Ed Blake
PGCA Member

Member Info

I was thinking the same thing. The gun looks big enough.
Ed Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ed Blake For Your Post:
Unread 01-04-2023, 12:32 PM   #39
Craig Budgeon
PGCA Member

Member Info

I don't think you will find another Parker that duplicates the gun under discussion. The knurling itself is of such poor quality I cannot believe Parker Bros. would ever try to duplicate it again. The knurling is overrun, veers in either direction, is not strait, stops between lines, and is very faint in the center of the rib. I agree with ArtS that the work was done on a lathe using a narrowed diagonal knurl. A delivery made in less than 30 days or possibly an outside vendor may have contributed to the poor quality. I also noticed Parker did not charge for the chased rib. With that said, I can find room in my safe for that gun.
Craig Budgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2023, 04:27 PM   #40
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Lefever offered a similar chased rib that was very well done with no irregularities.