Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Late model Fox Sterlingworth
Unread 04-02-2013, 04:51 PM   #1
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,735 Times in 1,252 Posts

Default Late model Fox Sterlingworth

I am still looking at this Fox Sterlingworth 20 ga double w/26" bbls. The serial number happens to be 270633. It is a Savage Arms/Utica SW. I can't find a serial number table for this double without paying someone some $ for the info. But I'm guessing it is a very late model mid 1940's production gun. Does this sound about right?
Gun is tight as a drum. Stock was cut to 13 1/2 " and has a pachmayer recoil pad installed making the LOP a little more than 14 1/4 inches or so. The wood on the gun is good, no cracks, splits, chips etc. Metal work is good. Barrels ring ok. Checkering shows wear. The shop owner has it tagged at $1,200 but continues to ask me to make him an offer which I will probably do after another appointment I have in the area of the shop (my tax accountant! argh!). I'd like to pick it up for around $900 but not more than $1K. What I don't know is whether being a late model Savage Arms model SW makes it worth the money. Any feedback? I have no pics and didn't want to take the camera into his shop.
I'm thinking that if the $ for this is in the ballpark, that it would make a nice double for my oldest grandson who in a couple of years would be able to handle it as he gets into more shooting with Papa. A brief stay at the Bachelder Hospital for wayward doubles to do a little cleaning and rejuvination would be in order.

I'll await those of you who are more familiar with SW's than I for your comments and suggestions.
allen newell is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 05:38 PM   #2
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,617 Times in 988 Posts

It looks like it left the factory in about 1938 according to this chart:

http://doublegunshop.com/dgsnos1.htm. Scroll down to the 20-ga. Sterlingworths.

Utica-built Sterlingworths typically have a lower perceived value than those that were Philly-built. It has been reported that the build quality also went downhill in the latter years of production and some of the refinement (a more bulbous forend, funky looking trigger guard, no grip cap, etc.) usually associated with Philly guns was also lacking. Having said this, they have 2 3/4" chambers and likely have higher, more modern dimensions than the earlier guns have. Without good pics it's impossible to say with any degree of certainty what the value is, but you rarely find a 20-ga. Sterlingworth in decent condition offered for much less than $1200 anymore.
Unread 04-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #3
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Greg, thanks for the info. I looked at the table, does the table encompass Savage Arms/Utica SW's? From this chart it would appear that SW's ceased production around 1940? I know Savage came out with a later SW B model.
Unread 04-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #4
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,617 Times in 988 Posts

Yes, it does and I believe they ceased production in 1942. "Researcher" will probably see this thread and maybe, if you're lucky, he'll post his canned story on the Sterlingworth.
Unread 04-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #5
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

shoot him a low ball offer of around 700.00. 1200.00 is way high for the gun you are discribing. He will probable counter at 800.00 to 900.00. IMHO Values plummit if it isnt a philly
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wayne goerres For Your Post:
Unread 04-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #6
tom tutwiler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Sounds like a thousand dollar gun at most unless the case color is outta this world. The late Foxes were the least desirable because of the issues already mentioned by previous posters. Those late 20 gauges make nice shooters unless they are muzzlelight. Those made late in the game without the capped pistol grip weighed more. Maybe that's why they added that bulbous forearm to make them balance better. I think the late ones are just uglier, but most folks can shoot them pretty well.
tom tutwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #7
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

The next time i'm in the shop, I'll see if the owner will allow me to take a few photos (for research of course) and post them. The frame has been blued on this gun. I wouldn't describe the forend as bulbous but pic will tell for sure. I have to see my tax accountant again tomorrow (argh@#) and the gun shop is in the same area so maybe I can swing by.
Unread 04-03-2013, 06:23 AM   #8
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I'm going to pass on this SW. Too much uncertainty and I'll hold out for something better I can pick up for my grandson - there's plenty of time. Some of you have inquired about the shop in case I decide not to pursue this double.

If someone wants to pursue this 20 ga SW, send me a pm and I'll give you the contact info.

Last edited by allen newell; 04-03-2013 at 06:56 AM.. Reason: change text
Unread 04-03-2013, 07:06 AM   #9
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,829 Times in 2,017 Posts

It is hard to find any 20 SW for less than a grand unless it is in poor shape. One of the good things about the Savage Foxes is that they are 2 3/4" chambered, and they also generally have more modern dimensions. I have 2 SW16's and 2 SW 20's, all savage era ,and would not consider any offer less than a thousand.
(no, they are not for sale)
Harold Lee Pickens is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harold Lee Pickens For Your Post:
Unread 04-03-2013, 07:26 AM   #10
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,277 Times in 2,428 Posts

I agree Harold. I have a number of Foxes, all Philly guns except for 2, a 16 and a 20 SW. They may not have the mantra of a Philly gun but they still are a very well built great handling smallbore SxS. With my 16 SW Deluxe this past season in So. Dakota I managed a true double on wild roosters. No doubles pin for that one but as they say "A Fox gets the game".
Daryl Corona is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daryl Corona For Your Post: