Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Cold Bay Alaska with a Parker
Unread 12-25-2013, 06:45 PM   #1
Larry the Gun Guy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,605 Times in 392 Posts

Default Cold Bay Alaska with a Parker

During the month of September my brother and I took a trip to Cold Bay Alaska to hunt ducks, geese and ptarmigan and catch a few fish. This was a seven day hunt starting on the 14th of September and ending the following Saturday on the 21st.
Just getting there is a small adventure by its self. Located roughly 687 miles southwest of Anchorage, it's at the tip of what is referred to as the peninsula, before the archipelago of the Aleutians start. After arriving mid-day Saturday we immediately went to the "pier" to fish for halibut and cod. Catching one halibut, a few black cod and multiple sole, we headed back to the lodge to prepare for the first day of hunting. As we experienced each day, the pintails and brant geese were very numerous along with lesser Canada geese and various other ducks and all of them decoyed very well. It was never a problem to harvest our daily limit of two brant each plus a few different types of ducks, including mallards, pintails, teal and a few harlequin ducks that weren't colored up yet. We ended up taking 5 banded brant and one that was double banded. Two of which I am having mounted. One day we took 48 pintail, 12 brant and a few Taverners lesser Canada geese. Out of the 48 pintail 37 were drakes. Almost every day we saw Emperor geese, which have been illegal to hunt since 1985 and they are beautiful. Also there are several brown bears, foxes and we did see one wolf. There is some incredible shooting up there and you're typically the only hunters around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Big Pintail Day.jpg (532.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Ptarmigan.jpg (513.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Berry Patch Boar.jpg (86.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Bear and Brant at Low Tide.jpg (170.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Decoying Brant.jpg (425.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 48 Pintails, 12 Brant.jpg (223.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Col Bay Sony 026.jpg (259.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Ptarmigan on the trail.jpg (230.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Col Bay Sony 061.jpg (225.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Col Bay Sony 010.jpg (117.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Cold Bay from JR 153.jpg (490.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Col Bay Sony 117.jpg (492.7 KB, 2 views)
Larry Stauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2013, 07:08 PM   #2
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,799 Times in 3,968 Posts

man what a hunt that was..really good pictures of every thing i loved the bear and the black wolf.. thanks for the trip... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2013, 08:30 PM   #3
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,175 Posts

That's a trip I've long wanted to make. What outfitter did you use?

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2013, 09:36 PM   #4
Larry the Gun Guy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Four Flyways Outfitters.

Jeff is a biologist and former federal employee who worked in the waterfowl tracking program. He has great dogs and very good assistant guides.
Unread 12-25-2013, 09:48 PM   #5
Larry the Gun Guy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Charlie, the little black guy is a fox and he allowed us to get within a few feet while he rested. The grey wolf was also somewhat unafraid of us and did not run off. The bears fear nothing and the guides carried 12 gauge pumps with slugs as we fished.
The brant are there by the thousands.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cold Bay from JR 006.jpg (564.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Cold Bay from JR 010.jpg (133.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Cold Bay from JR 014.jpg (86.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Cold Bay from JR 212.jpg (509.5 KB, 1 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Larry Stauch For Your Post:
Unread 12-26-2013, 07:01 AM   #6
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

Larry,

Thanks for sharing your adventure with us! The photos are excellent and the narrative builds for us a basis for imagining the events of the hunt.

Please tell us about the Parker you used?

Thanks again,
Mark

USMC Retired
USMC Distinguished Marksman
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Benefactor - Ring of Freedom member
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Cold Bay
Unread 12-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #7
Twice Shooter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default Cold Bay

I flew both airplanes and helicopters out of Cold Bay in the mid 70's. They had a rule that you could never lock your door's in any house there (primarily government workers). The kids played in the streets in the housing area and bears frequently walked through the housing area. When a bear appeared the kids would go into the nearest house and close the door behind them. Barking dogs were their early warning system. Cheers, Tom
Tom Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Carter For Your Post:
Unread 12-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #8
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

I have an Anchorage friend who hunts Cold Bay every October. A couple of years back I almost got on his trip when there was a potential opening. He has his own rig there and hunts the geese and ptarmigan. I would sure wax the bejeezus out of any Parker I took out there and hope to tag along on his hunt one of these years.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2013, 04:48 PM   #9
Larry the Gun Guy
PGCA Member

Member Info

The Parker I used on this hunt was a 1902 3 frame 12 gauge DH with 32" barrels. The gun moves very smoothly. The first group of brant that came in on us landed outside of the decoys at about 60 yards. After a few minutes the guide said that someone was going to have to scare them off or all the birds coming in would go to them. As one of the other guys stood up and started yelling and waving his arms they got up; when they did I picked one out and killed him cleanly with the Bismuth rounds I was shooting. As long as it was not raining I would shoot the Parker, if the weather turned bad I would switch to the Beretta Extrema. And to your point, I was very careful about cleaning and oiling my Parker daily. I made several very long shots and in fact as a group of brant came over I reached out and took two with one shot. I can say that all of the sporting clays I've been shooting has really helped me understand where to put the gun, which is very pleasing when you go that far and spend the money it takes to do this. It was a trip to remember.
I've included a picture of the "lodge" that we stayed which was a converted administration building at a defunct fish hatchery, my brother holding the double bander that he shot with me behind him and some misc pictures of some brant and emperors. Neat, wild and remote place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cold Bay from JR 016.jpg (357.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Cold Bay from JR 021.jpg (411.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Cold Bay from JR 015.jpg (86.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Cold Bay from JR 099.jpg (503.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Cold Bay from JR 233.jpg (357.9 KB, 0 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Larry Stauch For Your Post:
Unread 12-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #10
Blue Collar
PGCA Member

Member Info

Larry, the prices Four Flyways charges seems very reasonable. A trip to Stuttgart will run more than that per day at most outfitters. Heck a deluxe hunt in South Dakota can cost more than this entire trip with airfare. So including lodging, meals and guide services their prices seem good. The success rate your trip shows is a poster kind of hunt. For a hunt of a lifetime, for many, this seems to be priced inline with a Parker kind of gun. Of course I can get to Arkansas a lot cheaper than I can get to Alaska but you just have to roll the price of travel in with the fun. Thanks for introducing us to this hunt and great photos. Russ