Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Unread 09-13-2022, 09:10 PM   #21
TerryFisher
Forum Associate

Member Info

One more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220913_191555.jpg (516.5 KB, 14 views)
TerryFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TerryFisher For Your Post:
Unread 09-14-2022, 04:57 PM   #22
TerryFisher
Forum Associate

Member Info

#21.jpg

#22.jpg

#24.jpg

#25.jpg
Unread 09-15-2022, 08:20 PM   #23
TerryFisher
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Steingraber View Post
Take the forearm off and push up on the plunger looking thing (that's a technical term) sticking out of the bottom of the action and the gun will open and the barrels lift right off. The "plunger looking thing" functions like a top lever to release the barrel lock up.
Did you have a chance to look the pics?
Unread 09-15-2022, 08:21 PM   #24
TerryFisher
Forum Associate

Member Info

Did you have a chance to look at photos?
Unread 09-21-2022, 12:37 PM   #25
Robert Luttgen
PGCA Member

Member Info

I am new here on the forum, but I just did some research on my Parker and might be able to steer you in the right direction. I had a little trouble reading the serial number, but I believe that it is 20084. If so, then your gun was manufactured in 1880. The other markings to too hard to read, but they are all explained in this website. Just go to the home page and look for "Parker Identification". You will find a step-by-step guide to reading the markings, and how to interpret them. I found out that your gun (assuming serial number 20084) does have Surviving Factory Records. I just paid the $42 dollars for a Parker Research Letter - you might consider doing the same. Hope this helps.
Robert Luttgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2022, 12:55 PM   #26
TerryFisher
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks Robert, I have done some more exploring and found a few more things. I was going to do that research submittal. I found some more markings that I don't know what they mean Like the T with a curved line over and under it. THINKING maybe it mean Plain Twisted???? Also a symbol that looks like a fat red cross symbol and some additional numbers. Well Guess I will send in my request too.. Thanks again..
Unread 09-21-2022, 12:57 PM   #27
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,674 Times in 2,633 Posts

If you want to refinish those bbls contact Breck Gorman in Beaufort, SC. He may be able to finish the action too, but you'll need to ask him. He does excellent finish work.
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 09-21-2022, 01:36 PM   #28
Robert Luttgen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Chuck Bishop just sent me his preliminary research on my gun. I am not sure if you read it, but in my "introduction" post I mentioned that my Parker was brought home from Japan at the end of WWII by my father. Sure enough Mr. Bishop found the word "Yokohama" in the Parker order book. Apparently my Parker was part of a larger order shipped to Japan on March 14, 1918 that included "5 GH's with Damascus barrels, 3 PH guns with Parker Steel barrels, and 2 VH's". That little bit of information just made my day - I highly recommend ordering the Research Letter.
The Following User Says Thank You to Robert Luttgen For Your Post:
Unread 09-21-2022, 01:46 PM   #29
Robert Luttgen
PGCA Member

Member Info

And I forgot to mention it, but I am from the Miami area and have been looking for someone to work on my Parker as well. The general consensus for a gunsmith of this quality near Florida seems to be:

Bill Schwarz
767 Brushy Top Rd.
Unit 6716
Ellijay, GA. 30540
(706) 276-7668

I am trying to get hold of him now.
Bill Schwarz
Unread 10-30-2022, 10:12 PM   #30
John Cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Smile Bill Schwarz

Robert, I can unequivocally recommend Bill. About 2 months ago, I picked up my 1879 hammer uplift from restoration by Bill. I went to him after several recommendations here.

He did an amazing job. I could hardly believe it was the same gun. In the thread below, Richard Flanders commented, “This gun will most certainly reset the standard of whether someone will get what seems like a total wreck of a gun restored or not.”

The thread linked to below was my initial post about my gun, with before pictures and after pictures.

https://parkerguns.org/forums/showth...ght=Waste+time

I think that comparing the “before” and the “after” pictures would answer any concerns about his work.

BTW, a big thanks to all the forum members who helped me out in my quest to restore “Lazarus”, as Todd Allen called it. Robert and Terry you are lucky to have this resources available.

You can only get Bill by phone. He does not do computers. You almost need 4wd to get to his house—-not really, but “almost” because I did it in my Tesla, but with the suspension at the highest level and creeping in places. . Totally worth it! Fortunately, I only live about an hour and 20 minute drive through beautiful mountain roads from him. You may want to ship from MIA, …or not. It would not be a bad drive from ATL (non-rush hour), and you could spend some time in the mountains. Just up the road in Blue Ridge there is some great trout fishing, if you enjoy that too.

Last edited by John Cleveland; 10-30-2022 at 11:42 PM.. Reason: Inserting thanks to forum members for their help
John Cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote