Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Parker Listing
Unread 07-25-2022, 10:11 AM   #1
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,063 Times in 407 Posts

Default Parker Listing

Just a quick alert. LS&B listed an interesting Parker in their biweekly GB listings last night. It is a Parker from 1900 that looks clean and original. Only cobble is a nice older Hawkens pad. Intersting thing is that it is a PHE. I don't really know how common a P grade with ejectors is, but it seems odd. Also, the barrels letter as 26" cyl and cyl. It is also on a 1-1/2 frame. Quite a few oddities in one gun in pretty original condition. The barrels are twist and look really striking in the photos. If anyone wants to take a look, the listing is:

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/940765356
Arthur Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arthur Shaffer For Your Post:
Unread 07-25-2022, 10:25 AM   #2
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,518 Times in 4,619 Posts

That is a nice gun.

With a 1900 manufacture date, the ejectors would have been added later on by the factory. as the ejectors were not implemented until 1901-1902.
This was likely done post 1910, evidenced by the stepped wear plate installed on the barrel bite.
There was likely not record of the return for ejectors in the records and that is why it is not in the letter.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 07-25-2022, 04:42 PM   #3
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,801 Times in 1,369 Posts

Well now that it's posted here I would expect it to sell at a higher price than if it was not.
Unread 07-25-2022, 05:31 PM   #4
Jim DiSpagno
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 2,573 Times in 774 Posts

You are so right Pete
Jim DiSpagno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim DiSpagno For Your Post:
Unread 07-25-2022, 05:45 PM   #5
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,256 Times in 1,129 Posts

I love those barrels!
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2022, 10:15 PM   #6
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

I took an early test bid when it was showing $100 or so. I was bounced since it was already over $500 with 13 days left. It will go at a ridiculous price. I tried to buy a D grade lifter 10 at the end of the auction on Sunday on GB in order to get some parts to swap out. I bid to about 150% of it's value and wasn't close. Parkers have been insane lately on there.

I thought by showing it, at least someone that could use it would have a chance to bid. Lately the prices have been blown through the roof by people with user ID's such as "FriedTater69 (NR)". It seems like half the people bidding on older Parkers have no rating or single digit rating numbers.They run the price up all by themselves without any help from collectors. They are so new to online auctions they don't understand the bidding system and will set and enter bids in minimum increments over and over. I bid on a really special Merkel a few weeks ago and there were over 130 bids posted. One bidder alone made over 80 bids.
The Following User Says Thank You to Arthur Shaffer For Your Post:
Unread 07-26-2022, 02:52 PM   #7
John Allen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,601 Times in 342 Posts

A lot of those bidders are shills. Just there to run the price up. That's one reason I quit GB long ago. Nice and unusual PHE though.
John Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Allen For Your Post:
Unread 07-26-2022, 05:01 PM   #8
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Allen View Post
A lot of those bidders are shills. Just there to run the price up. That's one reason I quit GB long ago. Nice and unusual PHE though.
The ones I mean are not shills. They have No Rating or single digits, and chase the bid up $5 at a time. Shills would bid some reasonable jump. They make so many bids it makes the whole bidding process hard to follow and gauge, and often tend to overpay due to any real knowledge except name recognition.

I have reported quite a few spurious bid to GunBroker. One was a Top 10 dealer, who I just happened to notice had two different guns where I was beaten by the same low rated bidder. I did a little combing and found the same bidders makeing winning bids on a regular basis with this dealer, leaving a rave review of the dealer, and then the same guns being relisted two months later by the same dealer. Duplicate ads. It wouldn't have been obvious except that he should have waited three months so there wouldn't be an accessable record of the transaction. I suspect he was the bidder and was simply running his ratings up. He likely also was reporting non payment to GB.

I bundled up all the info and sent it to them. They said they would investigate, and the dealer has disappeared. Unfortunatly, he is probably starting over with a different name and address.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arthur Shaffer For Your Post:
Unread 07-26-2022, 05:26 PM   #9
Joe from MO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,121 Times in 422 Posts

26" Cyl barrels on a 1900 PHE, would seem like a not too common setup?

Also, I am long way from expert, but do you think those barrels refinished?

Nice looking Parker. Make a nice close cover bird gun.
Unread 07-26-2022, 05:28 PM   #10
Joe from MO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,121 Times in 422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Allen View Post
I have never understood the guy who places a sub $300 bid, on a gun that everyone with half a brain would know will sell for a lot more than that.... What is the purpose of that? Seems like a waste of time, but I suppose there are those, myself included... Who sometimes order the search by bid count, to see what guns are getting a lot of attention..... So, does that make it a schill bid?