Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

A week of guns coming home.....
Unread 07-17-2013, 01:41 PM   #1
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,052 Times in 1,179 Posts

Default A week of guns coming home.....

It's been an interesting week for guns coming back to the home closet. After three years in gunsmith hands, my childhood Lefever Nitro Special finally has it's new stock, the Cairo Special 1st year A5 Magnum has it straight grip conversion and aftermarket engraving, and the Super Fox is back from a different stocker as well.

They all went to the trap range yesterday afternoon for a leg stretching and dove / early goose warm up. I swear the little Lefever 16 gauge wagged it's tail as I took it out of the case. I'd near shot the gun to pieces when I was a kid and it had lain in the closet for many years with various problems. It's got new wood on it that seems to fit me pretty well, I'll give it a real try opening day of duck season I believe.

I should have started the warm up with it. But, I was so keen to try the big Fox, by the time I got some purple Federals out of the bag, the little gun felt like like a wisp in my hands. It took me a few targets to settle down and hit anything with it but didn't do too badly once I got used to how light it is.

I hit the first target I shot at with the Super Fox, that made me feel good about it. The A5 Magnum did the best of all three I'm ashamed to say. I shot one round with it and I believe I broke 21.

I'm pretty rusty, haven't picked up a gun since Easter. I need to start hitting the range a little more often or the doves are going to be pretty safe come the Glorious 1st.

Opening Day for doves it's going to be Grandpa's 20 gauge JC Higgins with the straight stock that Dad made years ago. It's also back from the gunsmith but we had the work done down in Southern Illinois so I've not had a chance to see it yet. Dad finally made a walnut forend for it after saying he was going to do it for pushing 50 years. We had a little initial oval added to the forestock with Grandpa's name and his home town Shakerag, Ill.

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post:
Unread 07-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #2
chris dawe
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,794 Times in 605 Posts

Funniest thing Destry,I was on the Lefever forum last night looking through the photos and right at the last second realized I was staring at a photo of you as a kid holding that Nitro and a duck!!!
chris dawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 05:19 PM   #3
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Pair of crows actually, and wearing the first suit of real camo I ever owned. That gun was mighty hard on anything that walked crawled or flew, I killed my first goose with it even!

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post:
Unread 07-17-2013, 05:37 PM   #4
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

Nice story Destry!

USMC Retired
USMC Distinguished Marksman
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Benefactor - Ring of Freedom member
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 07:02 PM   #5
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,799 Times in 3,968 Posts

sounds like you have all your guns ready for the hunt...i ve got to get me one of those a-5 mags someday and a 20 ga stevens one of these times...it aint to long and grandpa s gun will be in use... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #6
Phil Yearout
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,218 Times in 1,096 Posts

May we see some photos of any or, preferably, all?
Unread 07-22-2013, 01:52 PM   #7
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

I can't even get around to having somebody take some pics for me of items I need to sell on the forum. Hah!

DLH