Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Connecticut Parker Collectors
Unread 01-15-2014, 09:23 AM   #1
jsd245
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Connecticut Parker Collectors

How many of you folks are from CT and did that have anything to do with choosing the Parker Shotgun as one you'd collect? I 've always lived in CT, and I think our manufacturing heritage is very interesting, I've been in quite few old manufacturing buildings in CT, and actually work in one. These old turn of the century factories are fascinating. The number of firearms manufacturers that were (or still are) in CT is impressive. For me, I love old double guns, and the Parker's that were manufactured in CT are particularly satisfying for me. I'm fairly new to parkers picking up my first one just a couple months ago. I can see this getting addictive.
Jeff Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 10:16 AM   #2
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

It is addictive. The problem is it wont just end with parkers. Next it will be LCs and foxes and ow yea there are also english guns and german doubles exc exc. I hate to tell you but you are so screwed.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 11:30 AM   #3
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne goerres View Post
It is addictive. The problem is it wont just end with parkers. Next it will be LCs and foxes and ow yea there are also english guns and german doubles exc exc. I hate to tell you but you are so screwed.
Wayne, don't forget thoses "Foxes"
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 12:32 PM   #4
Double Play
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,780 Times in 636 Posts

Hi Jeff,
I'm also in CT and having grown up one town over and actually attending trade school in Meriden I believe had a big impact on my initial fascination with Parker Shotguns. I have been involved with manufacturing my whole life so reading the Parker Story about all the businesses the Parkers were involved in was really of interest to me. Many of these buildings are still standing although with new enterprises operating within. It would be nice to meet you, perhaps you will join us for a round of sporting clays in the spring when some of the local clubs open their ranges? Larry
Larry Frey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Larry Frey For Your Post:
Unread 01-15-2014, 12:43 PM   #5
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,202 Times in 4,907 Posts

Larry, do you have some information to give us about still standing buildings that once housed Charles Parker businesses?
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 01:44 PM   #6
jsd245
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Frey View Post
Hi Jeff,
I'm also in CT and having grown up one town over and actually attending trade school in Meriden I believe had a big impact on my initial fascination with Parker Shotguns. I have been involved with manufacturing my whole life so reading the Parker Story about all the businesses the Parkers were involved in was really of interest to me. Many of these buildings are still standing although with new enterprises operating within. It would be nice to meet you, perhaps you will join us for a round of sporting clays in the spring when some of the local clubs open their ranges? Larry
Absolutely. Sounds fun. I haven't really engaged any of the shotgun sports other than an occasional skeet shoot in my Dads field, hunting is my use for all my guns. But- I've been considering joining a local Rod & Gun club because my wingshooting could use some work. I've been doing my part to make sure the grouse population in Maine stays robust.

Its good to hear there are other folks still involved in manufacturing in CT. We're a dying breed. Hopefully we get a Governor at some point whose serious about making CT an attractive place to do business.
Jeff Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Davis For Your Post:
Unread 01-15-2014, 02:07 PM   #7
Double Play
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

[QUOTE=Jeff DavisHopefully we get a Governor at some point whose serious about making CT an attractive place to do business.[/QUOTE]

Amen to that brother!
Unread 01-15-2014, 03:20 PM   #8
Double Play
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
Larry, do you have some information to give us about still standing buildings that once housed Charles Parker businesses?
Bill,
I can't recall if you came north for the Meriden Day's Celebration back in I think 2003. Anyway, when we all split up for lunch I recall meeting for the first time and dining with Kevin McCormick and Dave (Researcher) Noreen. The establishment we ate at in Yalesville CT. was at that time called The Britannia Spoon. Back in the day this large brick building complex which is shown in volume one of The Parker Story was then called The Britannia Silver Company. When I was very young and attending grammar school at Yalesville School, that complex was storage and retail for one of the largest orchards in the area. Today it houses a number of offices as well as Westbrook Lobster.

Now that you have me thinking about it perhaps a Parker Pages article with pictures of several of these old factories and a little of their history would be of interest to some of our members.
The Following User Says Thank You to Larry Frey For Your Post:
Unread 01-15-2014, 03:26 PM   #9
charlie cleveland
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 7,802 Times in 3,968 Posts

great idea...i for one would enjoy a little history lesson...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 03:58 PM   #10
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,972 Times in 12,580 Posts

I believe it was 1974 when a fire destroyed some of the main Charles Parker Co. buildings.... much like the fire two days ago that destroyed a huge old brick & wood manufactory building in Lawrence MA, next town north of me. The Merrimack River, along which this building stood, during the last two centuries, was the source of power for manufacturing from Concord, NH, Manchester, NH, Dracut, MA, Lawrence, MA, Haverhill, MA, Amesbury, MA, and finally to Newburyport, MA where the mighty river meets the Atlantic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote