Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 11-19-2021, 03:24 PM   #11
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,000 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
that's a neat crimp roller with all those different heads I have a 8 ga roll crimper like the one you show except much older...also use the ballistic crimper with a drill it makes fair looking crimps...the old roll crimper is much better this is the only old hand crimper I ever ran across in the 8 ga...seen one for a 4 ga but it was expensive let it pass....I got the 8 ga crimper from the Darrel middlebrook estate....charlie
I could have gotten a original one a few months back but when it hit $600 at auction I passed. It seems the guys who do alot of roll crimping say the one reloadersnetwork sells is the best I think because its a 4 pin design while the BPI is 1 but ive read some different ways of improving the way the BPI crimps .
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2021, 12:46 PM   #12
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

Milton, I use that exact hull trimmer, have made mandrels for all the various gauges I shoot 10 thru 20. It works very well, quick and consistent. Just wish I had another source for blades, BPI is proud of them and a sharp blade is a must.
Keith Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2021, 12:48 PM   #13
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

Reloader network 4 pin roll crimp tool IS the best. Now have one for each gauge. I have tried several others and will gladly mail them to anybody that wants to try them, I'll never use them again!
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Doty For Your Post:
Unread 11-21-2021, 07:34 PM   #14
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Doty View Post
Milton, I use that exact hull trimmer, have made mandrels for all the various gauges I shoot 10 thru 20. It works very well, quick and consistent. Just wish I had another source for blades, BPI is proud of them and a sharp blade is a must.
Thats the only downside ive read on the hull trimmer is they dont sell new blades. I pulled these loads apart today and noticed in the high velocity loads Winchester only used a 1/4" fiber wad but for the low velocity a 1/2" fiber wad both of these are 2oz loads I believe seemed odd to use such thin wadding for the high velocity load.
Unread 11-21-2021, 07:38 PM   #15
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Reloader network 4 pin roll crimp tool IS the best. Now have one for each gauge. I have tried several others and will gladly mail them to anybody that wants to try them, I'll never use them again!
I wish they made it in 8 gauge also, now in the UK there is a 2 pin one sold for the 8 ga but they cant export reloading supplies/equipment.
Unread 11-21-2021, 10:04 PM   #16
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

Blades for that trimmer are available from BPI, bought some recently.
Unread 11-22-2021, 06:21 AM   #17
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Blades for that trimmer are available from BPI, bought some recently.

I just ordered about $250 in reloading supplies bought some 10 and 8 gauge components since I saw BPI had 10 gauge hulls back in stock . Ordered a Reloaders Network roll crimper for the 10 ga and some other items. Havnt bought shot yet still deciding what I want to load.
Unread 11-22-2021, 06:23 AM   #18
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks, on 10G I use the arbor press too & imperial die wax.

On trimming to length, 16 & 10 have a couple jigs to trim 4 at a time on the bandsaw no reason same thing would not work 8G.

It’s just a wood block with holes, split with a wing nut to tighten. 4 set up run it through the saw using the rip fence. Thing about the twist and cut trimmers my wrist won’t last long twisting. After sawing the case mouth needs conditioning, do it in the drill press with another shop made tool also convertible to 8 G . Will see if I can find a photo to post

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2021, 06:41 AM   #19
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Here you go, from idea on the bottom to ones that work best top. Wood insert builds friction and heat faster. Any gauge, have made from 410 to 10, no reason 8 won’t work.

http://parkerguns.org/forums/picture...ictureid=11039

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to William Davis For Your Post:
Unread 11-22-2021, 08:04 PM   #20
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Davis View Post
Here you go, from idea on the bottom to ones that work best top. Wood insert builds friction and heat faster. Any gauge, have made from 410 to 10, no reason 8 won’t work.

http://parkerguns.org/forums/picture...ictureid=11039

William
I was wondering what people were using for conditioning 8 gauge hulls Ive seen homemade skimmers as well made from broadheads. Not sure how short you can go with 8ga loads but I want to say I remember someone making 2 3/4" loads once the case mouth became worn. I only have bluedot on hand so I will have to flip through the manual to see if theres a 1 1/2oz load in there I seen one but it was using clays .