Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Man's Best Friend

Notices

MIDDLE SEASON DOVES
Unread 11-27-2022, 10:37 PM   #1
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,665 Times in 867 Posts

Default MIDDLE SEASON DOVES

I missed most of the "middle" season for doves. So after putting off getting up before daylight I went three days in a row,as Mosby was going nuts every time I put on my camo. Results were 15, 8, and a final limit of 15. The first day was with a Beretta 12 with ejectors. One has to load fast; ejectors are a necessity. Second day was with a non-ejector 16 Bernadelli Gamecock. This found me with an open gun reloading as a dozen birds in a flock flew by. Thus limited success. The late season means when they start flying, there is one hour of constant shooting usually at daybreak, then its over. The last day I took my favorite 12 A5 made in 1966, modified choke. This solves the quick loading problem. I would often have two birds falling and Mosby was so excited. Two days with a limit in thirty minutes. I know many don't like autos, but the Browning A5 Light Twelve is a different animal at 56 years old!

Looking forward to the third season, December 23 to January 19. No hunting competition at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2021.jpg (577.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2026.jpg (528.0 KB, 6 views)
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jerry Harlow For Your Post:
Unread 11-28-2022, 11:25 AM   #2
Joe D.
PGCA Member

Member Info

Love the way the Browning Auto-5 loads a round right into the chamber from the magazine when loading an empty gun! Very quickly puts you back in action... Good shooting, Jerry!
Joe Dreisch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Dreisch For Your Post:
Unread 11-29-2022, 10:53 AM   #3
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dreisch View Post
Love the way the Browning Auto-5 loads a round right into the chamber from the magazine when loading an empty gun! Very quickly puts you back in action... Good shooting, Jerry!
Joe,

I believe Val Browning was the one that came up with the auto-load feature for a shell put into the magazine. This feature I understand was one of the reasons production moved from Belgium to Japan as the many parts and complicated feature cost too much to make in Belgium, and eventually resulted in the demise of the expensive A5 compared to other autos. But one can't beat the quality of the original A5! A couple of times with a bird that just hit the ground, and one falling, I was pulling the trigger on an empty chamber. The winter doves are the greatest hunting of all here. To heck with sitting in a deer stand.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jerry Harlow For Your Post:
Unread 11-28-2022, 07:38 PM   #4
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

the a-5 is one fine gun....our doves have all left....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 11-29-2022, 11:04 AM   #5
Joe D.
PGCA Member

Member Info

That feature enabled me to kill 4 Pheasants in less than a minute as they poured out the end of a long hedgerow ahead of my partners Brittanies in Glen Rock, PA years ago. The Auto 5 has been a very special gun for me over the years.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe Dreisch For Your Post:
Unread 11-29-2022, 05:05 PM   #6
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

my hats off too the a-5....charlie
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 11-29-2022, 05:09 PM   #7
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,471 Times in 3,042 Posts

I still can't understand why Missouri doesn't have split season. Most of our birds leave shortly after the season opens, but we find clusters of birds just a bit south of us in December while quail hunting...which I would definitely take if it was legal.
Garry L Gordon is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2022, 08:39 PM   #8
Joe D.
PGCA Member

Member Info

I have wild bird feeders in my front yard and although large numbers of doves have left our area I usually see five to a dozen doves eating discarded safflower seed out there. Maybe what I am seeing are transients? Not sure.
Unread 11-30-2022, 10:54 AM   #9
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dreisch View Post
I have wild bird feeders in my front yard and although large numbers of doves have left our area I usually see five to a dozen doves eating discarded safflower seed out there. Maybe what I am seeing are transients? Not sure.
My understanding is that the birds that remain are almost all males. Later on we do get migratory birds. I find this to be true as 9 out of 10 birds I kill are males, as identified by the purple/pink marking on the sides of their necks. Late in the winter it is 100% male. There are certain farms I hunt where the birds congregate each year. Often by the hundreds. These are farms that have allowed dove hunting each year and thousands upon thousands have been killed there since I was a kid. But they come back. Other farms will have none. I find the key is that there is a power line through the fields where they may congregate and observe the ground before flying down to a predator. The last day I killed my limit was a place where I had finished hunting elsewhere the day before and drove by the field and it looked as if the power line would break as doves were lined up side by side for a quarter mile.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jerry Harlow For Your Post:
Unread 11-30-2022, 05:58 PM   #10
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

I like to see those power lines swagging...charlie