Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Old Style Mec metal crimp starter
Unread 08-15-2012, 11:13 PM   #1
Tom Zirolli
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Old Style Mec metal crimp starter

Hi:
I'm looking for some help in finding a 6 pt metal insert for a old style Sizemaster sn77 press. I believe any of the old 600 jr, or versamatic will work. I have the press with a metal 8 pt. starter die. I order one from Mec last week , but I received one of the new 6 pt starter crimp dies. I call them up and told them that there catalog shows the old style metal and gives the order number (under discontinued models) I was told that the catalog was never changed , but only the new plastic ones are available. The reason I need one of the old ones is because I am loading some 12 Gauge 2 inch shells. After I cut the 2" 3/4 ones down the newly cut shells (2.1 inch do not hold the 8 pt crimp). Two shooter have informed me that if I'm able to get a metal insert for my die 6 Pt. it will work and hold the crimp better. I've read in some of the older posts (march) that several members may still have the insert. If anyone still has the metal 6 pt insert for 600 jr/versamatic/sizemaster I would be willing to purchase and pay for the shipping. I've been told that once you cut the hull down to 2"s The plastic is thicker and is more difficult to form the crimp with the newer plastic die. Thanks for any help .

Tom Z.
Tom Zirolli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2012, 01:18 PM   #2
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

I loaded 2" shells at one time and used the 8 point crimp. Seemed to work just fine. Why not try your 8 point crimp?
Unread 08-16-2012, 02:38 PM   #3
Tom Zirolli
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks for the rapid reply. I will try and reload some shells this afternoon with the 8 pt. crimp. The main reason I was interested in getting one of the metal 6 pt. crimper was from information I received from a shooter who has been reloading for the 12 gauge 2" shell for countless years. His Father had acquired a extensive library of 2 " load data from England , and he has suggested the change. His Info had enabled me to modify my press
to produce 2'" shells. Some of the reasons given, and I'm know where as versed in the subject was about the problem that can occur when shortening the hull to 2 ". (straight wall verses tapered , compression formed vs. 2 piece, thicker hull at the 2" portion of the case.) etc. He feels that the 6 pt , after many years of experience reloading 2 " will form much better than the 8 pt. Mec tech help agreed with him. That the main reason for my search for the 6 pt. Again thanks for the reply and i will try some more loads with the 8 pt.

Tom Z
Unread 08-16-2012, 02:39 PM   #4
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,577 Times in 926 Posts

Tom:
A much better (and probably cheaper) solution is to get one of Ballistic Products' special brass 6-point crimp starters for the MEC. They beat anything MEC ever made, and are about $20 each.

Best, Kensal
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2012, 06:21 PM   #5
ch
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I was able to make a nicer crimp on my short sixteens with the 6 star, started with the 8 they were ok.
calvin humburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #6
John Farrell, Charter Member #33
Forum Associate

Member Info

You might also consider going to a roll crimp for the 2" hulls. In the long run a lot less anxiety. BPI and Precision Reloading both have hand drill roll crimpers. The Precision roll crimper is the better of the two and the price is right. JF
John Farrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2012, 12:01 PM   #7
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Tom, I looked through my MEC "Stuff and I only have a metal 6 point crimp starter for a 28 gauge. Sorry....
Unread 08-17-2012, 03:59 PM   #8
Tom Zirolli
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks all for the good advice. I have purchased a roll crimper from Precision Reloading along with various wads and gas seals. I am going to give roll crimps a shot, but for mass
production I would like to use the Crimp die. If I can't get the Mec 6 pt. insert, I will probably order the Brass Crimper from Ballistic Products or Precision Reloading . At my last order they were out of stock on the brass crimper but expected it back in a week or so. Last price was 29.99. While setting up my old Sizemaster last night, the weld let go where the shot bottle attaches . Will have to see neighbor about using his welder . I will hand load a few cut down hulls this weekend and see how the 8 pt. metal insert works compared to the plastic 6 pt i should receive by Sat. Thanks again

Tom Z
6 pt MEC starter
Unread 08-17-2012, 04:56 PM   #9
John Farrell, Charter Member #33
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default 6 pt MEC starter

Ha! I have 3 of them and if you will pm me your address I will be happy to send one to you.
John Farrell is offline   Reply With Quote