Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

8 gauge/bore shooting
Unread 05-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #1
George M. Purtill Member #28
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,291 Times in 861 Posts

Default 8 gauge/bore shooting

I know it is mentioned here and there on our forum but I need up to date 8 bore shell information:
Is there a source for new loaded shells?
BPI sells industrial hulls- will they fit/work in a british 8 bore- WC Scott?
Are there any other hulls besides Remington industrial?
Are there any sources for light load recipes?

Thanks in advance.
George M. Purtill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 12:53 PM   #2
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

george there is lots of info for the 8 ga shell...yes there are light loads....winchester makes 8 ga industrial hulls...precision reloading and ballictic both offer hulls and componets to load with....you can buy ammo loaded lite or heavy loads...but best to learn to load your self not really much to it....theres a fellow named TOM ARMBRUST that has a fine book about loading 4 bores and 8 bores got a lot of info in it...punch in TOM ARBRUST NAME ON THE COMPUTER AND YOU CAN GET HIS TETEPHONE NO.hes a great guy to talk too a busy man and he will return your call if you leave your no... you will enjoy shooting the old 8 ga...i hunt a lot with my old 8 ga s turkey crows squirls deer with buckshot and round ball loads...theres several folks that can help with your 8 bore on this site... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 05-02-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

george have you measured your chamber lenths of your w c ive never seen or heard of a 8 ga with chambers under 3 1/4 inches and some of these old 8 s chambers are up to 4 1/4 inch...the winchester or remington hulls should be fine for your gun...i dont think they will be shorter than 3 1/4 inch if they are it would surprize me...you can also shoot modern smokless powder instead of the old black powder stuff if you want to by following reloading instructions...tell us something about your gun ...my old lifter parker is 3 1/4 inch chambers and my old f a loomis gun has 3 1/2 inch chambers wish they were 4 inch.... charlie
Unread 05-02-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,873 Times in 4,756 Posts

What is the latest tech for resizing industrial shells to fit in sporting gun chambers?
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 02:17 PM   #5
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

What is the latest tech for resizing industrial shells to fit in sporting gun chambers? Are the latest industrial shells compatible with 209 size primers?
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 05-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #6
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

yes bill the 8 gauge industrial shell that is made now accepts the 209 primer....ALLEN MYERS MAKES A 1 PIECE resizer to re shape the hull in 1 swift motion using a press... dont know the price...you can resize yourself also by using the pipe squezers i used it is told how here in one of the old threads about 4 6 months back..it does not make a pretty factory look like mr allen myers...tom arbrust uses mr myers dyes for this...the brass hull looks factory and it slips the brass into a old 8 like it was made for it....once you resize a industrial hull all you need is a set of the old lee hand loader tools in 10 ga they work fine...buy a roll crimp from ballastic products in 8 ga and your in business...in fact some one was making a reloading kit outof the mec 10 ga magnum reloader..i want one of the reloading of the old 8 ga is prettthese but have not found one...mr myers also made these but has quit making them...reloading and shooting the old 8 ga is as easy now to reload as the 10 ga... charlie
Charlie the answer man
Unread 05-02-2012, 04:46 PM   #7
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default Charlie the answer man

Charlie
You are a fricking encyclopedia.
That's a complement.
Unread 05-02-2012, 06:58 PM   #8
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

i said that it was ALLEN MYERSwho made the one step 8 ga resizing dies but i have to correct myself it was JOHN MILLAR WHO MADE THEM... A 1 1/2ounce load is in TOM ARMBRUST RELOADING BOOK... at 6800 lb s of pressure... you could shoot these lite loads all day... charlie
Unread 05-03-2012, 11:32 AM   #9
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Charlie, how do we contact John Millar? I am using my RMC brass shells now, so don't really need to resize the industrial shells, but it would be nice to have one of those dies. For our information, the 8 gauge MEC conversion loader was priced like it was made of gold and would not have been of interest to anyone I know. My factory loaded Gamebore and Eley Bismuth loads are loaded in Remington and Winchester industrial hulls and are very attractively resized. I guess there is a possibility that the British companies talked Remington and Winchester into selling them commercial sized hulls without the ring.
8 bores
Unread 05-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #10
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default 8 bores

Mr. Murphy
How/where do you get 8 bore commercially loaded shells?