Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Opening Day Pheasants
Unread 10-15-2011, 12:53 PM   #1
Pheasant Slayer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Opening Day Pheasants

Another hunting season is upon us. This years opening day of pheasant season just happen to fall on my birthday. I awoke this morning well before the sunrise. A year older and ready for the hunt. We (my Springer, Benny) and I set out into the darkness. I had my 1924 Parker VHE in one hand and a new box of Poly-Wad Spread-R loads that I have been dying to try out. We arrived in the parking area about a half-hour before sunrise. I geared up and headed off into the marshes. Light was just beginning to appear in the starry sky. A cool wind was comming in from the south. Benny and I stopped on a hill side at the edge of the marshes and watched the sunrise. I took a deep breath of that cool air. It felt good to be in the woods once again. Finally, the sun was high enough in the sky for legal shooting, I could hardly contain my dog any longer. He was eager for the hunt as was I. The tide was in and the ground was spongy beneth my muck boots. Within 15 minutes my Springer was on the scent. Nose to the ground and tail stub wagging happily. Suddenly the flush! A hen shot up and flew to the right. I had a Poly-Wad Spread-R in the right barrel #6 shot. I put the ivory bead on the birds head and led it just a little while gently squeezing the front trigger..The crack of my Parker and the bird folded up. Nice! first bird of the season. Once Benny had retrieved the hen. We quickly got back into the hunt. Looking around I noticed that no one else was in sight. Great, I had the area to myself.. at least for the moment. Within thirty minutes I noticed Benny with his nose stuffed to the ground with that familar criss cross pattern that he makes, and his "stub wag". I knew he was onto another bird. Within about a minute a nice rooster flushed... This time straight up and to the left.... Again, placing the ivory bead on the birds head with a slight lead, I squeezed and let loose another "Spread-R" load. The bird dropped to the ground.. Nice... That is my limit for the day. After gently placing the bird into my vest we started for the truck. While heading back, the sun was shining and I was thinking, "what a beautiful day". There is nothing better than a fine gun, a great dog, and a beautiful place to hunt. After all, it is my birthday......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oct 15, 2011.jpg (129.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg P1050610.jpg (545.7 KB, 1 views)
William Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit William Maynard's homepage!