Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Shooting Doubles
Unread 07-16-2011, 07:04 PM   #1
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,567 Times in 1,100 Posts

Default Shooting Doubles

Not nearly as exciting nor as beautiful of scenery as the previous post of hunting Ptarmigan in Alaska ,BUT ,I managed to shoot my first Double today of the 2011,2012 Hunting season ! We have a Bird house full of Baby Chick A Dees hanging in a branch of a tree at the bottem edge of the front yard ,and a Flock of about seven Crows trying to raid the Bird House and going crazy attempting to get the young Birds ,I Got the latest Parker addition ,out of the safe ,a 16 /20 Ga. GH Grade Two Barrel set ,put the Ole Parker together with the 16 Bore Barrel and went out and waited for the Raiders ,managed to scratch down two ,Took the first one out with the Right Barrel diving from the trees in a dead left to right dive heading for the Bird House ,and the other coming head on !. Five more to go ! Russ
Russ Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Russ Jackson For Your Post:
Unread 07-16-2011, 08:30 PM   #2
Angel Cruz Ortiz
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,177 Times in 485 Posts

Good shooting Russ. You better put in for your Doubles Pin.
Unread 07-16-2011, 08:37 PM   #3
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Hi Angel ,Thank you ,How have you been ,haven't spoken with you in a while ! I have my Doubles Pin already ,a number of years ago ,I shot a Double in Quail with my 16 Ga. Trojan .,I just haven't made the list yet ! A good solid Point from my old Brit Maggie and a huge covey of Birds and a whole lot of LUCK !
Unread 07-16-2011, 08:51 PM   #4
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Nice goin Russ....Doubles on crows counts....I hate crows.....
Unread 07-16-2011, 09:15 PM   #5
Angel Cruz Ortiz
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Doign good Russ. Working like a dog! I booked a quail hunt come october, hopefully I'll earn my pin then. And I'll take all the luck I can get.
Unread 07-16-2011, 09:46 PM   #6
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Russ when there in the trees and a little far out for the 16 a 55gr Ballistic Tip from a 22/250 will really put them through the shredder.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2011, 09:15 AM   #7
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Rich ,I have a good Friend / Gunsmith ,that just built a Thumb Hole Custom 243 for me from a Model 98 Mauser Base ,the gun will cut the same hole all day long off the bench , even with me shooting it ,but with my Rifle shooting skills ,I am sorry to say ,that old Crow with me shooting off hand is a lot safer sitting in that tree ,than when he is flying if I have one of those old Parker guns in my hands , the trick is to get the rascals close enough to ya! In this case ,I guess you might say I was " Hunting Over Bait " .
Unread 07-17-2011, 09:30 AM   #8
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Cruz View Post
Doign good Russ. Working like a dog! I booked a quail hunt come october, hopefully I'll earn my pin then. And I'll take all the luck I can get.
Angel ,Sounds to me like you are anxiously awaiting Oct. ,I know I am and I have no hunts booked ,just the usual outings ! I don't know if you have done much Quail hunting ,I never have ,I was invited on a Preserve hunt years ago for Quail and Pheasant ,The Phes. were simple enough but my first encounter with Gentleman Bob ,was a little different ! After shooting up close to a box of 16 Ga. shells out of my old Trojan ,and having not one Bob to show for it and enough ribbing to last a life time ,one of my hunting cronies that carried a 16 Ga. Sterlingworth and seemed to be able to hit anything that flew ,ask about my chokes and I said Full and Fuller ,he handed me a handful of Spreader loads and things changed quickly ! Just a suggestion ,but if I were going on a Booked Quail hunt ,I would stock up with some Spreader Loads ,those little birds fly like little bullets ! Have fun ! We will all be waiting for stories and pictures ! Russ
Unread 07-17-2011, 01:49 PM   #9
Angel Cruz Ortiz
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Russ, it's gonna be my first time and I can't wait. I've been reading the hunting stories you guys put up and I've been taking notes. I got me a flat of spreader shot from Poly Wad. I also have tight chokes on my 16 ga.