Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Dove 9-14-13
Unread 09-14-2013, 05:56 PM   #1
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,671 Times in 3,454 Posts

Default Dove 9-14-13

I got invited to a shoot today . It was on the gentleman's place we've benn DCP deer hunting . They had BIG shoots the first Monday and Saturday a week ago in this field and I was not expecting it to be to spectacular . I carried a circa 1930 AH Fox A Grade 16 gauge choked IC/M and circa 1951 Browning Superposed 20 also choked IC/M . It took me about 2 hours and 45 shells but I got my 15 birds ! This was the first time in 15-20 years I'd been in a dove field that there was actually a good shot at limiting out ! I am now on the same farm looking to shoot a deer or two and will post pics when I return home !
Unread 09-14-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,799 Times in 3,968 Posts

sounds like you shot mighty good on them doves.may you have luck on the deer...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 02:16 AM   #3
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
sounds like you shot mighty good on them doves.may you have luck on the deer...charlie
Charlie , I shot most of the dove with that 16 Fox . I had a handfull or so of handloaded 8's one ounce loads that I had concocted for my Parker GH 16 damascus and they did nicely on the dove . When I ran out of them I went to an old box of Remington factory 1 1/8 ounce of #5's . Figured I could finish out and make myself some more empty hulls .

But it didn't quite work out that way !

I was hitting the birds with the 5's but they were knocking feathers off and the birds kept going . So I switched over to the little Browning and got the last 6 birds with 9 or 10 shots .

Unread 09-15-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

big pile of birds you got there...i really enjoy dove hunting when there flying good..i woulda figured them no 5 shot woulda dropped them doves dead..anyway a good hunt.. charlie
Unread 09-15-2013, 11:29 PM   #5
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
big pile of birds you got there...i really enjoy dove hunting when there flying good..i woulda figured them no 5 shot woulda dropped them doves dead..anyway a good hunt.. charlie
I agree with you because I thought the same !

I looked on a shot table a little while ago . An ounce of #8's is over 400 , 1 1/8 ounce of #5's are about 200 pellets .

I'm hoping the owner will ask me back this coming saturday and if he does I'm taking a pair of 20 gauge superposed and my 20 gauge Sterlingworth . I was shooting the cheap Winchester Dove and Quail loads with 7/8 ounce of #8's and they were laying the smack down on them !

My farmer friend only hunts this field one day a week , so the shoot we did saturday was the third since the season opened !

It just might be good one more saturday !

Incidently I would load some more of my light 16 gauge shells but the reloader I was using went to my friends son after his passing and our distributer has yet to ship me a 600JR !
Unread 09-16-2013, 07:53 PM   #6
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

i hope the birds fly good one more time for you.. i too like giveing all my guns a chance in the field.. i ve not tried my winchester model 42 410 yet and my stevens model 311 410 double..they will get their turn on a squirl hunt soon maybe even a rabbit hunt or two.. hope you get another deer or two with the old ten... charlie