Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

long range barrels
Unread 08-05-2013, 11:05 PM   #1
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,799 Times in 3,968 Posts

Default long range barrels

just got in a set of lc smith long range barrels today they are 3 inch chambered and so marked.. they are 32 inch long and chokes are tight modified and full...i have a long range gun that has 30 inch barrels but both chokes are light modified..these chokes dont suit me for turkey so i bought these 32 inch barrels off ebay...turns out the barrels are about a 1000 numbers off i took the 30 inch barrels off gun and tried the 32 inch set boy was i lucky they snapped rite on...then i tried the forearms what..would not snap on it fit the back end of gun purty good but would not completely latch to the barrel it lacked about 1/2 inch a closeing..went to shop and got my small files i worked for 30 minutes filing on the fore arm hole where the latch spring goes.did not hardly scratch that iron..decided to speed up the process went took the barrels out to shop and used a die grinder on the lower end of forearm lugtook off a wee bit.yep worked just fine now fore arm will fit both barrels.. will pattern it shortly on that dr pepper can at the 70 step mark.. charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2013, 11:34 PM   #2
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,688 Times in 3,460 Posts

Darn I wish I had a shotgun I could keep the entire pattern of shot at 70 yards on a drink can
Unread 08-06-2013, 12:44 AM   #3
Dennis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Craig,

While that would be a great patterning gun I don't think I would want to eat whatever you hit with it. I know Charlie would offer you half of Mississippi for it. (That was sure fun to type MISSISSIPPI). It takes me back to my 4th grade days.

Dennis
Dennis V. Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 08:30 AM   #4
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,688 Times in 3,460 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis V. Nix View Post
Craig,

While that would be a great patterning gun I don't think I would want to eat whatever you hit with it. I know Charlie would offer you half of Mississippi for it. (That was sure fun to type MISSISSIPPI). It takes me back to my 4th grade days.

Dennis
Actually if I had a shotgun that would keep the entire load of birdshot on a drink can at 70 yards I wouldn't call it a shotgun but rather a rifle . I "assume" he wants to shoot turkey so a gun that would keep them all on a drink can would be very beneficial for turkey . But on the other hand it would leave NO room for error on head shots !
Unread 08-06-2013, 09:03 AM   #5
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,955 Times in 1,402 Posts

Good luck Charlie, I hope they pattern nice and tight for you.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 07:44 PM   #6
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

Charlie Use a Dr Pepper can for each barrel. No cheating now.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 09:58 PM   #7
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

i patterened that old gun this evening on the dr pepper can..i shot the full choke barrel firstdistance 70 steps federal low brass field load used as ammo no 7 1/2 shot..i shot the full choke barrel twice it put 2 pellets in the can each shot..not bad i thought then i shot the tight modified barrel it put 4 shot in the can..2 nd shot with modified choke i missed comletely..all in all thought the old gun did ok will try the 30 inch circle at 40 steps next go around...yep i would trade 1/2 of mississippi for that gun... charlie
Unread 08-07-2013, 11:30 AM   #8
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

i shot the longe reange again this morninging used winchester xx magnum 2 3/4 inch 1 1/2 ounce of no 4 lead..modiefied barrel put 2 no 4 shot in the can at the 70 step mark..full choke barrel put 5 shot in the can with same load...i think this old lc would have dropped a duck at the 70 yard mark like the lc smith boys said it would do..i m a happy with the barrels and the way they shoot.got to do the 30 inch circle next... charlie