Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Non-PGCA Shooting Events, Shows, and Conventions

Notices

Scary stuff
Unread 11-16-2023, 02:50 PM   #1
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,557 Posts

Default Scary stuff

Got this Note from OGCA. (Ohio Gun Collectors Association) I suppose the next thing will be ATF clearance to go to a quilt show.

Send notes to your representative and senators

Dear Members and Collectors:

We need your help on or before December 7, 2023, to contact your US Senators and Representatives as well as The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (“ATF”). The ATF is proposing new regulations that change who is required to have a Federal Firearms License (“FFL”) in order to sell a firearm. These regulations have not been adopted and with your help the regulations may be rejected.

The proposal provides rebuttable presumptions of who is selling firearms to “predominately earn a profit” and thus are “engaged in business” and they are a dealer who must be licensed. What does all of this mean? The Proposal is that a person must be licensed if they sell firearms with intent to predominately earn a profit. In the Proposed regulations this is defined to include tagging a firearm with a sale price, renting a table at a gun show, or maintaining records regarding purchased and sold prices. Further, offering firearms of a similar kind or type for sale. These are rebuttable presumptions. What a “rebuttable presumption” means is that if ATF establishes one of these facts, such as renting a table at a gun show that offered firearms for sale, one is presumed to be a firearms dealer, who is required to have an FFL license. The burden to prove otherwise then moves to the seller to establish that they are not “engaged in business”. These presumptions are for civil, not criminal proceedings.

These proposed changes in the regulations have come from a directive of the President and the Attorney General. They are asserting that these changes are proper based upon changes in federal law enacted in the Bipartisan Safer Communities Act (the “BSCA”). The BSCA does not provide for these presumptions. BSCA was passed by Congress as law, the proposed regulations are being put forth by the administration through ATF as a “reasonable interpretation” of the BSCA. We disagree.

The proposal if enacted is not good news for gun shows or OGCA. Exactly how everything would fall out is not known.
Unread 11-16-2023, 03:10 PM   #2
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,669 Times in 1,861 Posts

Links were included within that email that would allow folks to contact their Senators, Congresspeople, and the ATF. The OGCA even went so far as to draft a response that could be copied and pasted. I have sent mine out already, hopefully enough others will as well.
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Randy G Roberts For Your Post:
Unread 11-16-2023, 03:30 PM   #3
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

I just copied and pasted your message to GOAL of Massachusetts.

Thanks for the heads-up!!

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2023, 03:58 PM   #4
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Randy - I was trying to save some of John Dunkle's electrons. If anyone would like the whole thing, pls let me know
Unread 11-17-2023, 09:05 AM   #5
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,906 Times in 2,688 Posts

I knew of this a few months ago. Dopey Joe is attempting to end-run congress by having ATF reinterpret who is considered a dealer. The antis want anyone who buys and sells less than 5 guns per year to have a FFL. The way the law is now there is no maximum/minimum number of guns one has to sell to be considered engaged in selling firearms. It only states that in order to make a profit on firearm sales you need an FFL. The Bidenistas are also trying to implement a ban on purchasing more than 1000 rounds of ammo in a week and they want you to have any ammo purchase of 50 rounds or more run through a background check and have the sales entered into an FFL's A&D book. The newest is a mandatory gun storage bill that forces you to have all your firearms in a government approved safe and gives Big Bro the authority to do house inspections to make sure you comply (more to it than just that but you get the gist). Those are JUST a few bills that the left is trying to pass. There are many more, but I won't get into them. Any firearm owner who continues to vote for (D)s and thinks they don't want your guns is delusional!
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mike Koneski For Your Post:
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 11-17-2023, 10:58 AM   #6
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,345 Times in 4,421 Posts

Based on the "profit" I have from the few gun sales I have made, this adds insult to injury.
Unread 11-17-2023, 11:01 AM   #7
winplumber
PGCA Member

Member Info

Hope they adjust for inflation in the word of profit.
Steve Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Huffman For Your Post:
Unread 11-17-2023, 11:03 AM   #8
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,669 Times in 1,861 Posts

I actually received a response from our Congresswoman. Might be a boxed version but it is a reply.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Reply.pdf (828.4 KB, 44 views)
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Randy G Roberts For Your Post:
Unread 11-18-2023, 08:59 AM   #9
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

I'm guessing canned response. No reference to the gun show issue
Unread 01-20-2024, 07:04 AM   #10
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,680 Times in 1,644 Posts

The few gun sales I do every year is normally to get funds to buy more expensive and higher grade guns. My accountant has me list all gun sales , and show any profit or loss I do not like this but I have yet to show a profit, I have been with this firm for over fifty years and he has stood up for me any time the IRS had questions, so damn if you do damn if you don't, Gary
Gary Carmichael Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gary Carmichael Sr For Your Post: