Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

By George, she's really got it now
Unread 11-25-2012, 10:53 AM   #1
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

Default By George, she's really got it now

CHARLIE has now taken to retrieving like she was born for it. Her Husky blood kind of screwed up retrieving - or maybe I just didn't work hard enough or drop enough roosters or..... I get older and more forgetful. I really did have the camera along but of all things the memory card was full when I tried to take a pic or two. Okay, next time. Should be Tuesday.

This past week I drove from Regina to Winnipeg via Radville, Torquay and Oungre. That is a few hours out of the way and even more while hiking pheasant cover. The trip out was quite succesful. First rooster took me a bit by surprise. As I fumbled with gun and gloves, it made it to safety. I headed back towards the truck and put up two flocks of huns. The second flock was well within range. I hit one and it wobbled and plummeted into heavy cover, over a small hill and down toward the creek. I'm thinking lost bird or long search. CHARLIE watches intently. When a shot rings out, she has a keen eye and in this case was off on the run, diving through all the cover. I'm thinking, if she finds it, I hope she remembers she is now a retriever. And so she did. She was gone maybe two minutes and came trotting back, bird in mouth. Now that made me pretty happy, to say the least. From there, we went to another good spot and had hiked for about an hour. We approached a small stand of poplar near the creek, with a lot of 6 foot high grass and cattails. I had lost sight of CHARLIE and KYRA but a rooster jumped from near the poplars and was dropped about 40 yards away into the high grass. I didn't have time to think about that shot, as four more roosters rose from the same area. I dropped a second bird dead onto the ice of the creek. Now I was concerned about finding the first when the grass in front of me began moving and I could hear the sounds of CHARLIE fighting her way through. When she appeared, to my delight, she had the limp rooster in her mouth. She gave it to me and I pointed to the iced rooster. Off she went and back she came. Gotta love a two for one spot. Then it was off to an old gravel pit. There was a lot of cover that was basking in the micro-climate of the sun's rays, while the air was in negative temperature range. CHARLIE put up several birds and then a rooster with a broken leg took off. The leg didn't need further attention. Again, from that 6 foot high grass, CHARLIE emerged, rooster in mouth and given to hand. Well that was my three birds, so we headed for Winnipeg. My 92 year old father-in-law and I dined on fine fare for a few days.

The return trip, while succesful, was a bit disappointing. I chose to go through country I had not been in for six or seven years. I had an inventory of great spots in my mind. When I arrived, every little piece of cover that a pheasant might find comfy was posted. Don't know what went on in the last few years, but the landowners must have gotten royally pissed off. I'm talking an area about 10 miles square with great habitat that I had hunted for probably 15 years. I found two spots where the signs did not appear. There were plenty of birds but no shots fired. I left the area and drove 20 miles to another spot I hadn't been for several years. Nothing much had changed there. I checked an old shelter belt. Two bald eagles decided they didn't want to hang around. Two pheasants left from the end of the shelter. One carried on. CHARLIE brought the other to hand. As we headed to the truck, another rose from cover but the trees interfered with a shot. Light was now into the magic half hour after sunset. We wandered along the creek for a bit and another nice rooster jumped up with the benefit of trees blocking my shot. I decided to try a less treed, dry slough. We were no sooner into it than a hen decided to not bother to roost there for the night. As we worked the cover toward a point, KYRA got very birdy and jumped into the weeds. Mr. Rooster jumped out and crossed left to right. A puff of feathers showed he had strayed into the pattern of #4 lead from some unknown manufacturer - still have some of that and use it for the late season birds. CHARLIE was on it right away and delivered it to me. So, all in all it was a good trip. Visited with the father-in-law. Hunted my way there and back. Dined on my favorite game birds. Shared the excitement of witnessing CHARLIE's new found talent. Tuesday will be another frozen pheasant hunt. Thursday will see the dogs with the sitter while I find some sun and sand in Maui for a couple weeks. If it is warmer than -40 when I get back, CHARLIE and KYRA will get a couple more days rustling up the big wily winter roosters. Maybe I will have the camera and a memory card with room then. Cheers, Jack
Unread 11-25-2012, 06:02 PM   #2
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

now thats got to have been a trip to remember for a while...and that charlie has turned into some dogjack it would be hard for me to leave that land of beauty for some sand but if you must have fun..the dogs will forgive you..... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 06:18 PM   #3
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

It's fun when the light comes on in a dog. I wouldn't hunt birds without a dog, just watching them makes me marvel at what their nose can do. Don't forget the camera in Hawaii there lots of photographic opportunities there esp at the beach, so I'm told
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 06:26 PM   #4
Paul P.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Glad that Charlie is comming arround. Enjoy the Islands, there is hunting on the big island. They have hogs and Axis deer there. Axis is arguably the best deer meat there is. Enjoy.
Unread 12-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #5
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Well, back from sun/sand/surf to snow/ice/cold but there has to be something good about freezing your duff off in a Saskatchewan winter. Finally a couple pics of Charlie with her new found skill. She also did a few amazing flushes, mostly hens but there were five decent roosters. Three, for some inexplicable reason, will help the population next year - unless I find them before New Year's Eve !! All in all, we had a very good day.

These two came home.

Cheers,
Jack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Charlie1pgca.jpg (442.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Charlie2pgca.jpg (358.2 KB, 1 views)
Unread 12-19-2012, 02:57 PM   #6
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

welcome back jack... looks like charlie has got the hang of it my little squirl dog shes really coming around too...i guess it like they say the more you hunt the better it is...mighty nice roosters their color against the white snow is beautiful...hope you find some rusty iron soon with a few birds.... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 12-19-2012, 05:41 PM   #7
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

It's good to know your back in the hunting fields and behind the camera. No pictures of the tan?
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich Anderson For Your Post:
Unread 12-19-2012, 06:25 PM   #8
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

All slathered up with sun screen and I came back as lily white as when I left
Unread 12-19-2012, 06:38 PM   #9
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Here she is practicing for tomorrow. My nose would be frostbitten sniffing the trail like that. Can't help noticing the visible eye is not at all on the ground. Nose telling her where to go and eyes scanning ahead. She makes the hunt just that much more enjoyable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Charlie3pgca.jpg (326.6 KB, 1 views)