Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Manson wall thickness gauge
Unread 07-18-2010, 08:01 PM   #1
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,336 Times in 3,302 Posts

Default Manson wall thickness gauge

I am posting this based on a response to my post in the hammer gun folder, so as as not to hijack the original thread. My joking comment was about a pocket sized wall thickness gauge, since I have passed on a couple hammer guns ( a Parker lately and an interesting early German piece last spring) since the I had no way (neither was at a gun shop or show) to determine the safety of the barrels.

The Manson tool was recommended and really looks like a reasonable alterative, not too expensive and small enough to keep in the truck and carry into an antique show just in case. I felt bad about the Parker, at a give away price, but I could tell the tubes had been cleaned up, how much was the question.

So--My question is for anyone who may have one is --> do you need a vise to work it accurately? The description on the Brownells website references mounting it in a vise, The tool I can haul around all day, a bench vise, maybe not.

And of course have a tool like that handy will mean I will never have the chance at a piece like that again
Unread 07-19-2010, 12:22 AM   #2
Jim Kucaba
PGCA Member

Member Info

I have the gauge you speak of ... My experience is that the tool is almost impossible use and to get any kind of consistent readings ... The tool must be kept completely stationary while attempting to measure barrels ... And the barrel being measured must be kept perfectly parallel to the rod of the tool during the measuring process ... If the barrel is wiggled the slightest amount the needle of the dial indicator goes crazy and the reading varies wildly ...

I got a demonstration of a new wall thickness gauge that's made by a company in Michigan at the January 2010 Las Vegas show ... I don't recall the company name but I'm sure a PGCA member will know the name and post it here shortly ... This new gauge is compact, portable, comes in a fitted wooden box, and above all. it's easy to use ... It gives consistent readings and has none of the problems I encountered with the other tool ... If my memory is correct, the price was over 500 bucks ... But this gauge works like a champ ... And, as we all know, you get what you pay for.

Jim Kucaba ... AriZOOna Cactus Patch ... Email: JimKucaba@aol.com

"Those who matter don't judge me ... Those who judge me don't matter"

Last edited by James T. Kucaba; 07-19-2010 at 12:35 AM..
James T. Kucaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2010, 07:11 AM   #3
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

James,

You did not read my post about the SxS shoot at Lapeer where Jon Hosford and his barrel thickness guages and other tools are regular guests!

Jon Hosford and his barrel wall thickness gauge

Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Ouellette For Your Post:
Unread 07-19-2010, 07:13 AM   #4
Bob Jurewicz
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,191 Times in 603 Posts

This may be info on gauge Jim refers to. I saw it at the recent PA shoot and show.
Jon Hosford
1204 N Main St
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
734-395-9818
hosford@hotmail.com
I think they were $575.
Bob Jurewicz
Bob Jurewicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2010, 09:11 AM   #5
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,177 Times in 4,897 Posts

The Jon Hosford gauge is a wonderful tool. However, it needs a stationary rest for the barrel holder. Several internet forum threads have described the use of the Manson gauge while hanging the gauge from a beam or SUV tailgate by a string or rope. That is the way I used mine for a long time. It gives a good reading if you are careful and patient. Jon Hosford's gauge gives better results, but not quickly at a gun show table. Bob could have gotten a rough idea of the walls of the Parker he discusses by measuring the bores and outside diameters of the barrels. Sure, the bores may not be concentric, but the rough measurement would at least weed out an unacceptable gun quickly without the use of a wall thickness gauge. I would like to have a Jon Hosford gauge, if just to give some business to a guy who is extremely innovative, is one of us, and is just a nice guy. Jon shared some secrets with me about the use of my gauges with no expectation of selling me one of his. What could be more friendly than that?
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2010, 09:16 AM   #6
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,197 Posts

I have one of Jon's gauges and it works great. Easy to use everything fits in the box. the clamp that holds the gauge can fit on any table or you can use the wooden box if needed. You can measure close to the rib rotate the barrels a quater turn measure there rotate again so you measure any part of the barrel that you want. Also you can measure the depth of a pit. Well worth it
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2010, 10:01 AM   #7
Dennis Wolfe
Forum Associate

Member Info

Jon is a good friend of mine and have his great tools listed on my website along with a link to a youtube instructional video .... ATTN: John Dunkle is this post is inappropriate please delete and I'll know better next time.

http://www.sportingcollectibles.net/gun-misc.htm
Dennis Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Dennis Wolfe's homepage!
Unread 07-19-2010, 12:26 PM   #8
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,197 Posts

Bill I think you are confussing the two gauges. "Jon Hosford's gauge gives better results, but not quickly at a gun show table. " I think you mean the Manson gauge, because with Jon's gauge setup is quick, like I said before, I can clamp it (clamp is in the box) on the table and check both barrels in a few minutes or clamp it to the box that it comes in and use the gauge. I could probably set it up check a couple of barrels and put it back in the box in the time it would take to setup the Manson gauge
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2010, 12:32 PM   #9
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

I also own a Hosford Barrel Wall Thickness Gauge. It is very easy to use.

Now, if Jon could only figure out how to make one that would fit in my pocket...
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2010, 01:04 PM   #10
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,177 Times in 4,897 Posts

Eric, you are correct. I was talking about "standing in front of a gun show table evaluating a gun". I guess either the Hosford gauge or the Manson gauge would have to be taken somewhere away from the gun show table to do the job if it weren't my gun show table. Without price consideration, I would rather have Jon Hosford's product.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote