Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

UP Parkers
Unread 11-06-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 8,185 Times in 2,102 Posts

Default UP Parkers

Just returned from 14 straight days hunting grouse in the UP.I am exhausted, my dogs look emaciated, but we would go back tomorrow if we could. I met COB, alias Rich, on FRiday night for the traditional Friday fish fry, and then the next night at his cabin where I got to see a few of his Parkers, drank a little single malt(Laphroiag), and met his dog Daisy. I brought along my DHE 16 O frame and the scotch. Nice man, nice guns, nice dog!!! I got to see "Gunners Parker", a DHE 20,and a GH 16. Had a nice evening and look forward to future conversations.
Hunted one day with another Parker fan who was carrying an original AHE 20ga because he had fallen and rebroke the stock on his BHE(repro) fitted with 16ga barrels. Sorry, but I dont think I could carry an AHE in the grouse woods.
This may get me kicked out of the Parker club, but because of tennis elbow, I put away the VH 16 and started carrying a little Lion Country Ugartechea 20 (5 1/4 lbs), and shot better than I have ever shot any gun. In 2 days, I shot 11 times at 10 grouse and killed 9--a feat I doubt i will ever repeat. I have already reserved my cabin for 2 weeks next year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0516.jpg (537.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0517.jpg (581.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0530.jpg (535.2 KB, 4 views)
Harold Lee Pickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2012, 05:09 PM   #2
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,197 Posts

Harold, I knew the scotch had to be yours.... Rich would never have such a thing in his cabin.....Pretty dogs ( I have a Tri color setter)

"Nice man" ? Are talking about Rich Anderson, ie COB of the PGCA ? What part of the UP were you hunting, cause it wasn't around Channing, nope you most have been hunting the eastern UP and met someone with the the same name...

Glad you had a good time and sorry I couldn't make it up there that weekend and meet you. Eric
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2012, 06:01 PM   #3
Jeff Christie
PGCA Member

Member Info

Where do you stay in the UP? I hunt the North Woods of Wisconsin in Iron, Vilas, Price, Oneida, Lincoln, etc., counties most every mid October. I have family in Lac du Flambeau. It isn't that much further up to the UP.
Jeff Christie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2012, 06:40 PM   #4
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,269 Times in 1,207 Posts

I think Rich must have fooled, nice really doesn't come into it. I know him well......

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2012, 10:04 PM   #5
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,330 Times in 2,084 Posts

Harold it was great to meet you. I did well Sunday in Crystall Falls and posted about the hunt. I'm not much of a Scotch drinker but that was some good stuff. Maybe next year we can chase a couple of birds together. Thanks to you I have made contact with Chicago from the 16ga forum. He is my old neighbor from Marquette.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2012, 11:57 AM   #6
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 8,185 Times in 2,102 Posts

Easy on Rich, guys--Im sure he has stories to tell about most of you. Was going to take the dogs to work today and go after pheasants in the afternoon, but opted to grab the bow and go out to my farm in eastern Ohio and sit in a tree since the rut is in full swing. I am not much of a bow hunter but I do go out a few times per year. There are some huge deer on the place but I will take the first doe that comes along. I restored this log cabin on the property( circa 1830).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0009.jpg (538.5 KB, 1 views)
Harold Lee Pickens is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harold Lee Pickens For Your Post:
Unread 11-07-2012, 12:12 PM   #7
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,197 Posts

That cabin is beautiful... Take it easy on Rich....that ani't going to happen !
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2012, 06:47 PM   #8
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,330 Times in 2,084 Posts

Yeah you guys, be nice....I have feelings to.
There are some dandy bucks in that area from the pictures I saw. One more weekend of birds then it's off with the big guns for deer.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2012, 07:24 PM   #9
10ga Hammer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Harold, Thats an awsome deer camp!
"Double guns are a sport and a pastime built into a beautiful package to which I attach myself when entering the great theater of autumn, those days now grow more precious because we are given so few".. Robin Lacy
Robert Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #10
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,362 Times in 3,307 Posts

Harold, you posted that cabin once before in a thread, I loved it then and still do. Its a little more rustic than our 1830 stone house and a lot more character from the surviving original log cabin up the creek from us.

it would make great background for some pictures of my longrifles.

hope you aren't buried knee deep in Samdy's white stuff.