Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 03-28-2013, 08:45 PM   #21
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

got up early this morning and was in the woods before daylight..nary a gobble did i hear it was fairly cold had a frost on the grass..its got to warm up before long in the mornings it was nice this afternoon...i went back to the woods about 2.30 at 4.30 a group of 5 turkeys came out on the field i was hunting they paid my decoys and calling no mind..at 6.30 they finally came close enough for me to see them good they were all big hens...they stayed on the field till 7.00 was dark just about time i got home..heh and i had the 16 ga with me still working on the old 8 ga.. charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 05:58 PM   #22
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

this was a warmer morning than usal..i was in the woods by 5.30 i went to a little hill to listen and sure enough i heard a turkey gobble...in about10 minutes i heard another gobble but it was not the same turkey..he gobblled again and i had a good line of direction on him and after him i went...after a quarter mile of double timing it i stopped and called that turkey gobbled but i bet it was still a quarter of a mile to him...i closed the distance and set up my chair and put the face mask on and yelped a coupla times that turkey gobbled again but it was the last gobble he made. i dont know what happened buti believe he had hens with him and they led him away from the calling... will go after him in the morning if it isnt stormy weather..one thing for sure this 16 ga is a lot lighter to tote than my 8 ga or the 10ga s... charlie
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 03-30-2013, 09:52 PM   #23
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

was up early again this morning boy could i have stayed in bed a coupla more hours...anyway got up and done the chores and was in the woods well before daylight.. at 6.30 that old gobbler cut loose he gobbled 8 times in about 15 minutes then he shut up and not a peep did he make... i kept hopeing to see him even though he was silent i gave him the most alluring calls i knew how but he did a no show..but two large jakes did come looking but i let them pass...i want that old gobbler who s been talking these last coupla morning s... will not hunt him tommorrow morning on account of EASTER but will be listening for him monday morning we hope... charlie
Unread 03-31-2013, 12:42 PM   #24
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,345 Times in 4,421 Posts

Saw a buzzard and eagle get in a fight this weekend. Gobblers on the move, but still lots and lots of hens. You hear one gobble and then about three hens clucking and heading straight for him.
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 11:50 PM   #25
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

now thats my first to hear of a buzzurd and a eagle haveing a fight...i d say few humans have seen this...mills it hard to do any thinh with a cobbler that s got hens running after him...good luck that birds waiting on you out there.. charlie
Unread 04-01-2013, 06:05 PM   #26
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

todays hunt started early as usul but lord it was foggy...i had the old gobbler figured out i thought each day he has gobbled more and more..only thing i did not figure on was the fog it was so thick you could have cut it with a fork...the fog stayed on till 9.00 and it began to lift..evidently turkeys are not very vocal during a fog i never heard a sound this morning..was going this evening but wife got me started helping her make some girl scout crafts and well here i am tellin ya ll instead of being in the woods...i ll have to see if mr gobbler will talk in the morning...charlie
Unread 04-02-2013, 10:38 AM   #27
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

Charlie, just gotta say I'm getting a second hand thrill from your stories. Never shot a turkey but may have to add that to the bucket list. Had a look at the recipe forum and don't see any turkey recipes. Maybe you could fix that, just in case I find myself having to prepare a wild turkey meal one year. Hope you bring number three home soon. How long is your season?
Cheers,
Jack
Unread 04-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #28
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

thanks jack...our season lasts till may 1 st...im gonna be honest ive killed and cleaned a lot of turkeys but ive got my first one to cook too..im gona have to call on someone else to post a turkey recipe..now come on boys jack and me need some help here..hope you have to cook a turkey someday jack a wild one... charlie
Unread 04-02-2013, 08:41 PM   #29
tom tutwiler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Fajita's baby. Marinade turkey strips in Fajita seasoning and then cook in a real hot cast iron skillet for just a few minutes. If you overcook them they will be tough. If you think they are done yank them out of the skillet right then. Then add a bit of oil to the pan and heat it up again real hot and throw in some sliced onions and sliced red peppers. Get those browned good and then yank them off the heat. Put everything in a warmed flour tortilla and throw in some homemade pico de gallo and some sour cream. Roll it up and eat away. You will think not much in the food world is better then this. PS. Wash it down with some good Mexican beer with a side dish of Charro beans.
tom tutwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tom tutwiler For Your Post:
Unread 04-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #30
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,345 Times in 4,421 Posts

I like em fried, but then I am from the Deep South.
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote