Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Unread 05-31-2022, 01:55 PM   #11
Chris T.
PGCA Member

Member Info

I still think if it had more typical wood it would have sold by now. I'm in the market for a 28 ga. repro right now and have been paying a lot of attention to the prices. They are up some, but I've noticed that the really high-priced ones are not moving. It's a typical case of you can ask whatever you want, what you're going to get is another story. There are a lot of overpriced PRs on the market right now but you can still find a decent buy if you're quick.
Chris Travinski is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2022, 03:44 PM   #12
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,600 Times in 984 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
It may be stamped Mod and Full but experience with Repros tells us that measuring choke constriction and patterning will tell the REAL story..
You're absolutely right Dean. I love my 28ga. 28" factory original M/F set of barrels. On a typical sporting clays course I score just as well with them as I do with either the IC/M or Q1/Q2 sets of barrels.

Because of all the negative comments that have been made regarding 28ga. Repro M/F chokes being overly tight and thus useless, many have ground metal out their 28ga. Repro's choke area. I know of several that have done so in the name of making it into their dream gun, only to learn that the grinding of the metal didn't do what they were expecting it to do. These same dreamers eventually sold their guns.

Moral of the story: If you're considering buying a 28ga. Repro w/28" bbls. stamped as having M/F chokes, measure them, know EXACTLY what you're buying as the gun may have been owned by one of the dreamers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Baehman For Your Post:
Unread 05-31-2022, 05:01 PM   #13
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,386 Times in 3,073 Posts

When I read Dean's comment, I took it to mean 'measure the chokes because they don't conform to the stamping'.
My last 28 Repro was stamped IC and Mod, but measured Mod and Full.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 05-31-2022, 05:18 PM   #14
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

From what we've seen Edgar, they can be stamped one thing but constriction and pattern can be anything but.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2022, 05:54 PM   #15
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarspencer View Post
When I read Dean's comment, I took it to mean 'measure the chokes because they don't conform to the stamping'.
My last 28 Repro was stamped IC and Mod, but measured Mod and Full.
I think we both had similar, but different understandings of what Dean said. Your understanding was to "measure the chokes because they don't conform to the stamping", mine was that "M/F (or IC/M) patterns can vary with load selection".
Unread 05-31-2022, 05:58 PM   #16
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

My original meaning was that of the first, that they don't always conform to the markings. After the constrictions are determined different manufacturers' loads/shells can be experimented with.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 05-31-2022, 07:17 PM   #17
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Baehman View Post
I think we both had similar, but different understandings of what Dean said. Your understanding was to "measure the chokes because they don't conform to the stamping", mine was that "M/F (or IC/M) patterns can vary with load selection".
I'm not sure any load will give IC and MOD patterns with .015" and .021" chokes.
Unread 05-31-2022, 07:20 PM   #18
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarspencer View Post
I'm not sure any load will give IC and MOD patterns with .015" and .021" chokes.
Why wouldn't spreaders do it?
Unread 05-31-2022, 07:58 PM   #19
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Baehman View Post
Why wouldn't spreaders do it?
From a purely academic perspective, they would. From a practical perspective, Spreader inserts for 28ga are likely not available, for the handloader. Also, Spreaders are generally only available in target shot. There are those who would want the 28 for hunting. Are there spreaders in 5, 6 71/2?
Let me counter with a question; Why not bore it, as stamped, or stamp it, as bored?

Call me a 'dreamer' if you like, but I bought the gun wanting a true IC and MOD. If I didn't already have a couple Meriden made 28ga guns, I'd have those barrels up to Mike Orlen in a heartbeat
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 05-31-2022, 08:49 PM   #20
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Edgar, 99.96% of my shooting is done with reloads. About the only time I buy and shoot new shells is to replenish hulls for reloading. As a reloader of 28ga. I still have a bag and a half (500/bag) of 28ga. Spred-R inserts, but having 28ga. Repros choked Q1/Q2, IC/M and M/F I have little need to load up Spred-R's for my shooting needs. I can just use another set of barrels, but if the need arises I have a lifetime supply of the inserts on hand just in case. I don't know why the Spred-R would't work just as efficiently with #5, 6 or 7 1/2 shot as they do with 8s or 9s.

As for your counter question, I haven't any idea -- you'd expect that the gun would produce patterns commensurate with its choke designation. I also have to believe that your IC/M stamped Repro with .015/.021 constrictions falls outside the norm and is an exception rather than the rule.

Maybe you should have measured that IC/M stamped barrels before you wrote the check, eh?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220531_180602.jpg (489.4 KB, 4 views)