Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

Unread 02-16-2022, 03:56 PM   #21
Buck
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy G Roberts View Post
Welcome aboard Craig from the other side of the river. We are not that far apart apparently. I am in SE Indiana not to far from Lawrenceburg which you probably recognize. What part of Cincy are you from ? WHO DEY !!
Randy, I'm from southwest corner of Cincinnati. Green Township (45247). I know you have to use your real first name for this forum, but most folks call me Buck. Yes, I recognize Lawrenceburg. As a kid and teenage, used to go to Friendship and watch all the musket guns and axe/knife throwing activities. Love it.
Craig Haberthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2022, 04:05 PM   #22
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,659 Times in 1,854 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Haberthy View Post
Randy, I'm from southwest corner of Cincinnati. Green Township (45247). I know you have to use your real first name for this forum, but most folks call me Buck. Yes, I recognize Lawrenceburg. As a kid and teenage, used to go to Friendship and watch all the musket guns and axe/knife throwing activities. Love it.
Ha, small world. My daughter lives in Cheviot in Green Twp. and I actually live about 15 minutes from Friendship. If you like to shoot keep an eye on the forum for the Hoosier SxS Classic posting. It will take place in August in Batesville IN which is just a jog down I74 for you. There are always several PGCA members there. You can search it on the forum to see what it's all about. I can add you to the mailing list if you like for the shoot. Just PM me your email address if you want to be added. Look forward to meeting you some day Sir.
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Randy G Roberts For Your Post:
Unread 02-16-2022, 09:07 PM   #23
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,798 Times in 2,013 Posts

Buck, welcome to the PGCA brotherhood and good luck on finding a graded 28(a GH 28 is a sweet little gun also). You have a very knowledgeable member (Randy) in your back yard. I have never been bitten by the 28 ga bug, but lately, have thought about a 28 repro. I'm a Buckeye also, just live on the wrong side of the Ohio River in Wheeling now.
Unread 02-17-2022, 08:09 AM   #24
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,460 Times in 969 Posts

Welcome Buck. I am going to go out there and say spending the $300-400 on The Parker Story will give you more information than you can digest and it's an invaluable reference if you're looking to spend big money on these guns. Also I would highly recommend the serialization book, the best $35 you will spend.
With two kids in college I'm relegated to "shooters" for the next number of years. I bought a 16g GH which I made a mistake on, the replacement stock and bluing/case coloring are not correct. Hence I'm throwing good money after bad and having Brian Dudley try to make her correct. My mistake is several thousand, not many like a 28g. The dream gun for me is a nicely kept but original 16g DHE as my grouse gun. Some day. Enjoy the forum, the folks are great and the research is half the fun. I'm just starting the second volume of The Parker Story, it's all fascinating. Oh, you will own many more than one, just to prepare you. They're fun as hell to shoot. I find the learning curve very steep to spot originality and correct alterations/modifications but that's half the fun.
Unread 02-17-2022, 08:10 AM   #25
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,460 Times in 969 Posts

Also, I have a 28g Repro, VERY HIGHLY recommend one, they're amazing and everyone wants to handle it.
Unread 02-17-2022, 10:03 AM   #26
Buck
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Bishop View Post
Craig, unless you just sent in your membership dues, you are a Forum Associate, not a PGCA Member.
Yes, I have sent them in. He indicated that they process those on Friday's. So eventually the tag will flip. But my cc definitely has been charged the annual membership, I can vouge for that sir.
The Following User Says Thank You to Craig Haberthy For Your Post:
Unread 02-17-2022, 10:05 AM   #27
Buck
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post
Craig, the last DHE 28 I saw sell at auction went for just over $30K including the buyer's premium. It was a beauty. As noted already, small gauge Parkers are very desirable to quite a few folks (and wonderful guns to have and use!). Good luck with your search. Folks here can spot things about originally, etc. in photos that many of us miss. Seek help, and you'll be glad you did.

Welcome!
Oh yes, another reason for joining as a member. I will post my 'short story' further down the thread as I want to respond to many of the friendly welcome remarks thus far, for which I am grateful.
Unread 02-17-2022, 10:32 AM   #28
Buck
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Sacco View Post
Welcome Buck. I am going to go out there and say spending the $300-400 on The Parker Story will give you more information than you can digest and it's an invaluable reference if you're looking to spend big money on these guns. Also I would highly recommend the serialization book, the best $35 you will spend.
With two kids in college I'm relegated to "shooters" for the next number of years. I bought a 16g GH which I made a mistake on, the replacement stock and bluing/case coloring are not correct. Hence I'm throwing good money after bad and having Brian Dudley try to make her correct. My mistake is several thousand, not many like a 28g. The dream gun for me is a nicely kept but original 16g DHE as my grouse gun. Some day. Enjoy the forum, the folks are great and the research is half the fun. I'm just starting the second volume of The Parker Story, it's all fascinating. Oh, you will own many more than one, just to prepare you. They're fun as hell to shoot. I find the learning curve very steep to spot originality and correct alterations/modifications but that's half the fun.
Hello Andy. I would love to spend the money on the Parker Story vols1/2 for two reasons. First - to educate myself on Parkers, Second - I am a collector of books (e.g. history, guns, and religious). I have already taken steps to begin this process by purchasing the serialization book ($35) that you mentioned. I know I have volumes to read on Parkers, but I've made a good start with read books from Doug Stewart (The Traditional Side by Side), Peter H. Johnson (Parker America's finest Shotgun), and Michael McIntosh (Best Guns). I've also reviewed information in the Blue Book of Gun values. I have more on the way (again, my love of books and of course my love of research) from Larry Baer (The Parker Gun Immortal American Classic), and Michael McIntosh (More Shotguns and Shooting).

My collection and love of Shotguns may be a bit different than most here perhaps. As I don't desire a one make collection, but those that represent an era of time from many manufactures. I have a Marocchi, Franchi, Remington, Ithaca, and more recently an Arrieta. Thus far my favorite are the Spanish Best (Terry Wieland), but that could change as I am an American FIRST and love my country - even with all the bumps and bruises like most countries. So the Parker piece of my collection is my Lord of the Rings Bilbo Baggins "I'm going on an adventure!" scene. Spending this time reading, researching and asking highly astute members of this organization, I hope to find my 28 gauge. I also am trying to vary my gauge acquisitions as well. I love to reload and adding another reloader or adaptable component to the bench would suit me just fine.

As stated in my opening remarks when I joined, I am FINALLY an empty nester. We've raised 4 kids and put them through parochial schools and college (last one is finishing up soon). My disposable income just whacked me in the face and now I have time to enjoy my passion for guns.

My father, who past three years ago, was an avid collector of guns. He didn't hunt, he didn't shoot much competitively, but he was a master mechanical engineer for some 45 years. He was fascinated with the mechanics of guns. Many of hours I spent with him on the bench in the basement as he was fixing many guns that people bought or neglected to care for. When he passed (God rest is soul), I didn't feel right to liquidate his collection for money. I kept a few gems that I will always cherish, but he would of approved of my strategy of selling the guns he enjoyed (mostly handguns) and use that money to invest in my passion, which are shotguns.

For collecting shotguns, I don't want wall hangers, but want to actually enjoy and shoot them. I'd be wary of firing these old early Parkers for safety reasons. I've read many of posts in this forum about cautionary elements of firing these gems. Even though they are deemed 'An old reliable'. I plan on using low pressure and lighter loads (3/4 or 1oz) to fire them, but I do want to shoot them. I love the after care after shooting them as well. Oh the smell of gun oil definitely sets off the testosterone.

I hope to make many friends in here. I'm sorry for the long verbose storyline here, but sometimes understanding the context of where folks are at can help bunches. I want to start out slow; perhaps buy a Repro, then consider others. Thank you so much gentlemen. I look forward to your advice and direction. God Bless

Buck
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Craig Haberthy For Your Post:
Unread 02-17-2022, 11:01 AM   #29
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,191 Times in 12,368 Posts

Buck, do yourself a huge favor and along with buying The Parker Story (two volumes) you should make every effort to buy these two excellent sources of Parker information along with well documented historical facts of that era, by the late Ed Muderlak.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg BAC140C0-C092-4667-8572-B1A037DF65EF.jpeg (64.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpeg B204309D-C14A-4F6A-9697-B0BC38C71E7F.jpeg (62.1 KB, 3 views)

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 02-17-2022, 11:05 AM   #30
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,960 Times in 1,418 Posts

Welcome to the PGCA Buck. If I can help, just ask.
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Bishop For Your Post: