Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

8ga DH 30" Gunrunner Auction
Unread 03-03-2011, 06:33 PM   #1
Craig Larter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,931 Times in 1,732 Posts

Default 8ga DH 30" Gunrunner Auction

Looks like a very cool old wildfowler. What does the book say?? Size 6 frame wow!
http://www.gunrunnerauctions.com/lis...mnum=983410368
Craig Larter is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2011, 10:08 AM   #2
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,229 Times in 1,196 Posts

That guy's description is comical when read by anyone who knows anything about market hunting or punt guns. Still an interesting firearm though.....

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2011, 02:29 PM   #3
Boxbirder
Forum Associate

Member Info

Then you read "Outlaw Gunner" and want a battery gun on the front of your sneak box.
Mark Parela is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2011, 03:02 PM   #4
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

For the most part, battery guns were used on punts just like punt guns. Sneak boxes were hunting boats, not something you'd use a punt or battery gun on. A boat had to be built a certain way to take up the recoil of one going off. Sneak boxes are square stern boats and would tend to take on water over the back as the guns recoil pushed them in reverse.

I'm not saying nobody ever used a double 8 gauge as some sort of a punt gun on a small boat, but it wasn't common. The heaviest factory loads they produced for them back in those days were only 1 3/4 ounce, punt gunning usually required something a bit heavier as far as load to produce the desired effect. If you were going to the danger and trouble of punting you wanted something that would throw a pound of shot not less than 4 ounces.

Everybody thinks 8 gauges are some sort of cannon and killed ducks by the hundreds everytime they were fired. You can buy 12 gauge shells today that were loaded heavier than those factory loads they were using 100 years ago. Do those 12 gauge shells kill ducks by the hundreds everytime they're fired? I don't think so.

I've hunted with an 8 gauge and a 4 gauge, both geese and ducks. The 8 gauge shells were hand loaded with 2 1/2 ounces, 4 gauge with 3 ounces. Even firing those loads I never killed more than one bird per shot. They aren't for mass slaughter, they were used more for long range pass shooting than anything. A perfect example are all the large bore guns used at Carroll's Island, they pass shot ducks at very long range off a long point with big bore shoulder guns.

There are a couple Parker 8 gauges out there built super heavy, 40 inch barrels, with 4 inch chambers. If ever a gun MIGHT have been used as some sort of a shoulder punt gun those are the ones.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post:
Unread 03-04-2011, 05:33 PM   #5
James Brown
PGCA Member

Member Info

Destry:
If you haven't, check your Smith site post re Mr. White.
James
James Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2011, 06:51 PM   #6
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

I don't see that one, I don't recall the posting. What thread is it on?

Destry
Unread 03-05-2011, 07:45 PM   #7
James Brown
PGCA Member

Member Info

March 2, had to do with emailing a picture to Cliff White.
James
James Brown is offline   Reply With Quote