Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

I'm going to have to break down......
Unread 10-25-2009, 09:13 PM   #1
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,124 Times in 1,189 Posts

Default I'm going to have to break down......

and wash my Carhartt bib overalls for the first time in 12 years. I've been hunting pretty hard already this season and they've reached a state of fragrance that's usually only achieved around late December. By then waterfowling is almost over and I can lay them aside to air out till the following September.

For some reason this year it's just not working out, the smell is slightly unbearable even after I've had them on all day and should be used to it. I'm afraid that the dirt and dried blood is the only thing still holding them together. I'd hate to have to buy a new pair, these are still perfectly good. I even spent $7 taking them to the upholstery shop to have a split in the leg sewed up just just last year.

Wish me luck, they're only the third pair I've ever had in my life. I made the second pair last from age 16 until 28 by using the same system of only allowing the rain to wash them and the sun to dry them. My first pair was hand me down from my older brother so they don't count as he washed them all the time and nearly wore them out before I got them.
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2009, 09:59 PM   #2
C Roger Giles
PGCA Member

Member Info

Destry;

Take a ride up to Swan's in Howell,Mi, probably 30 min from your place, as they have the best and longest line of Carhartt products in the midwest and an assortment of other things of interest that have possibilities for the hunter/nimrod.

Carhartts do start out kind of smelly to make you feel at home. Also consider a new hat or cap purchase.

Rog

Last edited by C Roger Giles; 10-25-2009 at 10:05 PM.. Reason: omited something
C Roger Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2009, 12:45 AM   #3
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Holy Cow Destry..... I've worn Carhart pants out in 30days before. They certainly never last more than one 3-4 month season; after that they become my 'dress pants' for town use only.....
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2009, 09:16 AM   #4
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,724 Times in 1,016 Posts

One could only imagine the story that seamstress of the upholstry shop has to tell every time someone walks through the doors wanting something out-of-the-ordinary done. It might go something like this: "Yes sir, we can do anything, one time we had this grizzly old duck hunter that came in wanting his stinky old 5XL bibbed overalls sewn up, I myself had to wear a heavy duty jump suit, industrial rubber gloves and a gas mask to git'r done...but we did"
Greg Baehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2009, 09:34 AM   #5
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

I had a pair of Filson Tin pants that I wore for work for 20yrs... and yes, they were still waterproof and I had never rewaxed them as they did not give out a can with them back then. I had saved the leg portion I cut off when I shortened them for my stumpy legs and at about 15yrs had to use that to splice on new leg bottoms. These things looked pretty rude and funny but were still pretty much functional. Finally they started to tear out and I boxed them up and sent to Filson in Seattle to use for advertising... never heard from them I suspect they evacuated the office when they opened them. Always wondered what happened with them. Maybe I should have sent them as hazardous cargo....

Last edited by Richard Flanders; 10-26-2009 at 10:51 AM..
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2009, 09:50 AM   #6
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,918 Times in 12,560 Posts

Rich, that Beaver in the Filson catalogs has been patched several times with sections of your donated Tin Pants.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2009, 09:59 AM   #7
Don Kaas
Forum Associate

Member Info

Omar, your personal tailor in Dearborn (Allah be praised...), should be able to make you a custom pair out of ballistic cloth...
Don Kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2009, 10:04 AM   #8
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,918 Times in 12,560 Posts

"Omar" . . . ? How ever did he win that monniker? Inquiring minds want to know
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2009, 11:07 AM   #9
Bill Bolyard
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Destry,

From what I have herd you should also toss that hat of yours in there with the pants. One more thing, take them to the laundry mat so you don't gum up your own washer and dryer.

Bill

"Let me hasten to explain, ere the cat people bristle their back fur,that we have nothing against little kitties who stay by the fire and restrict their diet to canned salmon. Our members wouldn't dream of shooting a cat in the lap of an elderly lady sitting in a rocking chair in the front parlor, provided the window is closed".

Corey Ford
Bill Bolyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2009, 11:31 AM   #10
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,168 Times in 4,895 Posts

Dean, Don is referring to the tailor and tentmaker, not to the customer. The customer goes by his real given name, or his awarded moniker, "You da man".
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote