Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Shotshell search
Unread 12-07-2022, 11:22 AM   #1
Loren Tillett
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Shotshell search

Well, I guess the option of locating 2.5" shotshells has come to an end. RST is out of them, Polywad is out of them, and I'm not able to locate a lead anywhere on the planet. Am I missing something, gents? Or do I have an old Parker 12 ga. Damascus on the way that won't get used on the pheasants next year in S.D.?
Loren Tillett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2022, 12:50 PM   #2
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,400 Times in 598 Posts

You may be putting the cart ahead of the horse . You say gun on the way so you have not measured the chambers and do not know for certain what they are. Many threads here on so called short chambers. Parker made them that way for a reason. You might find that 2 3/4 will work just fine in your gun. Report back after you have measured them using the machinist rule method.
Daniel Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Carter For Your Post:
Unread 12-07-2022, 01:01 PM   #3
Dylan Rhodes
PGCA Member

Member Info

Next year as in fall of 2023? you will find shells by then. RST has occasional restocks, not more than 4-5 times in the past 12 months so stay vigilant. If you just want to throw money at the problem, then there are usually some RST shells on GB - far more frequent than RST has them available. Expect to pay a premium. If you have time, knowledge, and the ability - there are threads abound online within the past 3 years about loading for short chambers at low pressures.
Dylan Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Thankyou for the help
Unread 12-07-2022, 02:21 PM   #4
Loren Tillett
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Thankyou for the help

Dylan, thank you for the encouragement. I will keep looking. What is GB? And, yes I think I have time before next year. But, I also want to shoot the Damascus and figured I should use 2.5" and low pressure. Daniel, the seller has confirmed that the chambers are proper length for 2.75" shells, but I'm also being a little cautious (should I?) and thinking that smaller and less pressure shells might be a good idea for an 1880s vintage Damascus. I'm a shooter first and foremost, and want to run some rounds through the 12 ga. Damascus, and my 1929 20 ga. regularly to know how the SxSs perform before I go into the field. I don't want to pound away with 1200 fps / 1 oz target loads if there is room for potential damage, or worse. I'm new to the "old double" club and want to make the right decisions. My Brownings, Francis, and Remingtons are all modern, so I had never had to think about this. I really appreciate the advice and assistance. This is a superb forum.
Unread 12-07-2022, 02:26 PM   #5
Dylan Rhodes
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren Tillett View Post
Dylan, thank you for the encouragement. I will keep looking. What is GB? And, yes I think I have time before next year. But, I also want to shoot the Damascus and figured I should use 2.5" and low pressure. Daniel, the seller has confirmed that the chambers are proper length for 2.75" shells, but I'm also being a little cautious (should I?) and thinking that smaller and less pressure shells might be a good idea for an 1880s vintage Damascus. I'm a shooter first and foremost, and want to run some rounds through the 12 ga. Damascus, and my 1929 20 ga. regularly to know how the SxSs perform before I go into the field. I don't want to pound away with 1200 fps / 1 oz target loads if there is room for potential damage, or worse. I'm new to the "old double" club and want to make the right decisions. My Brownings, Francis, and Remingtons are all modern, so I had never had to think about this. I really appreciate the advice and assistance. This is a superb forum.

GB = gunbroker. I can't comment on if you should be nervous. No one on the internet can intelligently answer if your guns set of barrels are safe for use or not. Any time I have had a damascus gun I take it to someone who knows what they are doing to have a wee looksie at the barrels and take some important measurements. If that all looks okie dokie - I am of the opinion to run low pressure shells through it, because why not If I can get them, and the wood is very fragile and crack prone.

The 2.5 vs 2.75 and high vs low pressure debate will probably rage on long after I am dead....

Not sure this helped you any - but it is what it is
Dylan Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dylan Rhodes For Your Post:
Unread 12-07-2022, 02:32 PM   #6
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,455 Times in 967 Posts

There have been some BP 2.75 available and some of those are low pressure. There's a thread here somewhere but darned if I will be able to find it.
Unread 12-07-2022, 02:34 PM   #7
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,400 Times in 598 Posts

In that the chambers are 2 3/4 that broadens you ability to find low pressure ammo. In that a shell is short does not mean it is low pressure, a case in point, many have used the Federal 2 inch thinking they were low pressure and they are not. RST will have some shells suitable to your gun in the future or a member here will guide you to some. Again length alone is no indication of pressure.
Daniel Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Agree with all...
Unread 12-07-2022, 02:59 PM   #8
Loren Tillett
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Agree with all...

Gents, thank you. Yes I agree with all. 2.5 doesn't mean low pressure. And yes, no one can assuage my fears with advice or opinions. I've measured the 20 ga. using Researcher's advice the other day. I'm pretty sure it was originally built to carry 2.75s. I'm waiting on the 12 ga. Damascus and will, now with the insight provided here, have a qualified gunsmith do all the measurements and assessments, as well as confirm whether the chambers were modified. It seems that the 12 ga. has some records on file that I will order. Perhaps the original chamber details are published there. In any event, I want to shoot these and think that 2.5 inch low pressure might be a good way to treat them. Whether at the range or chasing upland birds.
The Following User Says Thank You to Loren Tillett For Your Post:
Unread 12-07-2022, 03:01 PM   #9
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,455 Times in 1,368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren Tillett View Post
Well, I guess the option of locating 2.5" shotshells has come to an end. RST is out of them, Polywad is out of them, and I'm not able to locate a lead anywhere on the planet. Am I missing something, gents? Or do I have an old Parker 12 ga. Damascus on the way that won't get used on the pheasants next year in S.D.?
I purchased 2 boxes of 12s just this week from RST. Basically you have to check their website daily. After I bought the 2 boxes I checked back next day and they were sold out.
Unread 12-07-2022, 03:06 PM   #10
Breck Gorman
PGCA Member

Member Info

I ordered a flat of B&P Competition1, 7/8oz, 7.5 shot, 1160fps 12g from Natchez Shooting Supply. Arrived in 3 days.
My favorite 12g shell for shooting out of my Damascus Parker. Soft on the shoulder and the gun, but devastating on birds and clays.
Just checked and they have them in stock as of now.
Breck Gorman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Breck Gorman For Your Post: