Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 11-02-2022, 07:51 AM   #21
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,515 Times in 3,096 Posts

My idea for converting my 9000GN works perfectly.

In crimping a 2 1/2" shell in 600Jr press, it's necessary to raise the shell up 1/4". However, that isn't possible on a progressive press. But on the 9000, it isn't possible to either raise the shell, or lower the crimp die.

My idea was to lower only the internal profile of the crimp die(Thanks, Dave), without changing the way the die is secured in the press. The cam needs to still contact the roller on the die.

I accomplished the lowering of the internal die profile, by buying two new Crimp dies. First, I bored out one of the dies, straight thru. I did this by clamping the die on my Bridgeport milling machine, being sure it was aligned vertically. Using a deep hole boring bar, and machining out the entire internal profile.
Next, I took the second new Crimp die, cut off the side mounted arms, and chucking it in my lathe, turned it to a diameter so as to have a sliding, interference fit inside the first, bored out Crimp die. Using a two part epoxy, I cemented in the turned piece into the bored piece, but 1/4" lower.

The only other changes consisted of removing a 1/4" off the bottom of the side mount of the wad guide, and readjusting the spindex pre-crimp die, and the final 'taper die, both down 1/4". There is sufficient thread travel of these two dies.

After installing the new, modified final crimp die, no adjustment to the cam was required.

I ran a few single hulls through the cycle with no issues, so then ran a couple dozen hulls through in the normal manner.
The whole recipe for the 2 1/2" shell is the same as those run on the 600Jr press.
As is often the case with single stage charge bars, the bar on the 9000 also delivers less than the 3/4 ounce that it's supposed to drop, by about 12 pellets (#8), so I just lowered the top punch of the final crimp die. All crimps were satisfactory.
So much for MEC telling me a 9000 won't load a 2 1/2" shell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bore trim die.jpg (92.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Bore trim die2.jpg (81.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Turn trim die.jpg (126.4 KB, 1 views)
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 11-02-2022, 07:57 AM   #22
Stan Hoover
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,288 Times in 628 Posts

Edgar,
I admire your knowledge and perseverance to figure out how to make it work.
Well Done,
Stan
Stan Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stan Hoover For Your Post:
Unread 11-02-2022, 08:33 AM   #23
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,400 Times in 598 Posts

After your answer to my PM i went and looked at my 9000 and of course you were right about the cam, all others could be adjusted. The wad guide was an easy fix. Now patent it and make MEC pay you a royalty to use it. Well done.
Daniel Carter is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Carter For Your Post:
Unread 11-02-2022, 08:36 AM   #24
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Stan, everything I did on this 28ga press, could be done on any other gauge progressive press. The steps necessary to change the inner and outer relationship of the crimp die could be accomplished very inexpensively by the vendor MEC uses to make the part by a very simple modification to the injection molding die it is made from. This modification wouldn’t change the injection molding die permanently. It would make crimp die’s for both sizes.
In the end, I’m not sure MEC would acknowledge that there are enough customers interested in loading 2 1/2” shells.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 11-02-2022, 08:45 AM   #25
Stan Hoover
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,288 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarspencer View Post
Stan, everything I did on this 28ga press, could be done on any other gauge progressive press. The steps necessary to change the inner and outer relationship of the crimp die could be accomplished very inexpensively by the vendor MEC uses to make the part by a very simple modification to the injection molding die it is made from. This modification wouldn’t change the die permanently. It would make die’s for both sizes.
In the end, I’m not sure MEC would acknowledge that there are enough customers interested in loading 2 1/2” shells.
Edgar,

I believe you're correct on there probably not being enough demand for offering the mods to load 2 1/2" shells.

I guess we're in the minority

I am however loading 2 1/2" 16 gauge shells on my Ponsness Warren press that is set up for 2 3/4". Takes a little adjusting of the final crimp die, but it can be done.

Stan
Stan Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stan Hoover For Your Post:
Unread 11-02-2022, 10:07 PM   #26
Bill Jolliff
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,175 Times in 270 Posts

Atta boy Edgar.

Another challenge successfully met.

Old engineers never die, they just keep on tinkering. And fixing things.

Bill Jolliff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Jolliff For Your Post:
Unread 11-03-2022, 01:18 PM   #27
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,864 Times in 2,674 Posts

Quote:
Stan, everything I did on this 28ga press, could be done on any other gauge progressive press. The steps necessary to change the inner and outer relationship of the crimp die could be accomplished very inexpensively by the vendor MEC uses to make the part by a very simple modification to the injection molding die it is made from. This modification wouldn’t change the injection molding die permanently. It would make crimp die’s for both sizes.
Edgar, you could make those crimp dies and sell them as an aftermarket item to the progressive presses. MEC, PW, Spolar, Pacific, Hornady......
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 11-03-2022, 02:12 PM   #28
David Noble
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,090 Times in 386 Posts

Quote:

My idea was to lower only the internal profile of the trim die, without changing the way the die is secured in the press. The cam needs to still contact the roller on the die.

I accomplished the lowering of the internal die profile, by buying two new trim dies.
Next, I took the second new trim die, cut off the side mounted arms, and chucking it in my lathe, turned it to a diameter so as to have a sliding, interference fit inside the first, bored out trim die.

Edgar, great thinking you did there but I was confused by your use of the term trim die. Perhaps I'm wrong, but should that have said crimp die instead?
I'm prepared to be scolded in the event that I am wrong.
David Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2022, 02:55 PM   #29
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,526 Times in 3,400 Posts

Edgar you think you could semi easily convert a 12 gauge 9000 to 10 gauge 2 7/8” ?
Unread 11-03-2022, 03:46 PM   #30
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Noble View Post
Edgar, great thinking you did there but I was confused by your use of the term trim die. Perhaps I'm wrong, but should that have said crimp die instead?
I'm prepared to be scolded in the event that I am wrong.
Dave, You're correct. Brain Fart I guess
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Koneski View Post
Edgar, you could make those crimp dies and sell them as an aftermarket item to the progressive presses. MEC, PW, Spolar, Pacific, Hornady......
Mike, The translation of the Latin on my Family Crest is "Buy High, Sell Low". The Crimp dies, from MEC, are $20 each, and you need to buy two to make one, using my mock-up method. Think I could get $22? Hmm, do you think MEC would rent me the injection molding die? All that needs doing is move the core plug 1/4" out
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigThompson View Post
Edgar you think you could semi easily convert a 12 gauge 9000 to 10 gauge 2 7/8” ?
No, But I could mess it up pretty good trying.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post: