Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Loading 10ga shells with Lee Load All
Unread 11-15-2022, 06:43 PM   #1
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,803 Times in 1,369 Posts

Default Loading 10ga shells with Lee Load All

Where there is a will there is a way they say. There was a discussion on a Facebook page about loading 10ga shells with a 12ga Lee Load-All. I suppose it can be considered clever but I think it would be better to save up your money and get a single stage MEC. For those who are curious as to how it's done here is the link to a Youtube video on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6HEO9GxgQM
Unread 11-15-2022, 07:49 PM   #2
Joe Wheeler
Forum Associate

Member Info

That guy has lots of decent shotshell reloading videos.
Joe Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2022, 07:59 PM   #3
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,533 Times in 3,406 Posts

I thought it was going to be a Bubba Rountree video lols ! I understand wanting to go about it as economically as possible but I tend never to go in that direction . Initially one thinks they save money by reloading , but most will eventually figure it out that’s not the case after trying this that the other etc etc . So as to the Lee loader it isn’t for me , but to each his own !
Unread 11-16-2022, 06:54 AM   #4
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,967 Times in 1,125 Posts

I've never used a press to reload short tens. Always used hand tools to do so, like the duck hunters of old did sitting around a kitchen table at night, reloading hulls for the next day's hunt. My one concession to modern day 10 ga. reloading tools is a MEC Supersizer. I scrounge hulls, so resizing is a necessity. Since I only use a ten for waterfowl, or turkey, it's "slow loading" is fast enough for me.

I'm all set to reload again now, thanks to long distance friends who contacted me and offered hulls and wads, even some low pressure loads. All I need now is for eastern AR to get a lot of rain and flood the L 'Anguille R. bottoms!

Thanks for the link, Pete.
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post:
Unread 11-16-2022, 10:42 AM   #5
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,906 Times in 2,688 Posts

But, but ,but, but he's using the dreaded Cheddite primers!! (sarcasm font)
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 11-16-2022, 11:58 AM   #6
Joe Wheeler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Koneski View Post
But, but ,but, but he's using the dreaded Cheddite primers!! (sarcasm font)

I see you say sarcasm font but is there really anything I should know about the Cheddite primers cause I just bought a few packs.
Unread 11-16-2022, 12:11 PM   #7
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Cheddites are fine - I only used about 40,000 of them. But my one Parker hammergun and a Remington hammer lifter both would pierce the primers so I went to Winchester primers, not wanting to pay someone to make me new firing pins.
It's not so much saving money, at least not with the 12, but you can save a lot with the 10ga, 16, 28, and the 410. Where are you going to find 2 5/8 or 2 7/8 10 gauge shells ? Or low pressure shells in any gauge ? Or 2 1/2, 2 3/8, or any short 12ga shell for decent money ? Black powder shells ?
Reloading is half the fun of shooting shotguns, not to mention being able to make what you can't find. So yes you can find out you can save some money. I'm glad that point was brought up.
Visit Paul Harm's homepage!
Unread 11-16-2022, 12:24 PM   #8
Joe Wheeler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Harm View Post
Cheddites are fine - I only used about 40,000 of them. But my one Parker hammergun and a Remington hammer lifter both would pierce the primers so I went to Winchester primers, not wanting to pay someone to make me new firing pins.
It's not so much saving money, at least not with the 12, but you can save a lot with the 10ga, 16, 28, and the 410. Where are you going to find 2 5/8 or 2 7/8 10 gauge shells ? Or low pressure shells in any gauge ? Or 2 1/2, 2 3/8, or any short 12ga shell for decent money ? Black powder shells ?
Reloading is half the fun of shooting shotguns, not to mention being able to make what you can't find. So yes you can find out you can save some money. I'm glad that point was brought up.
Good deal. I agree on the reloading part of it. I am new to shotshell reloading having only really loaded for my original Winchester 1887 in brass shells. Now that I have a 2 7/8" 10 gauge that can handle smokeless loads I am seeing how much fun those can be also.
Unread 11-16-2022, 03:05 PM   #9
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,906 Times in 2,688 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Wheeler View Post
I see you say sarcasm font but is there really anything I should know about the Cheddite primers cause I just bought a few packs.
Some find that the Cheddite might increase your pressure by 100-300 PSI. I have had Cheddites for years and have neve seen any pressure issues. I don't load snotty shells nearing max pressures. No reason to shoot shells like that, IMO. Those are not kind to the old stocks on our vintage guns. If you're not sure about what a certain load is doing, make up a half-dozen shells and send them and your recipe to either Tom Armbrust or Ballistic Products and have them pressure tested. You might have to drop your usual powder charge by 1 or 2 grains, then again your load might need no change if you are well below max anyway.
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike Koneski For Your Post:
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 11-20-2022, 01:13 PM   #10
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

I've shot a LOT of Cheddite primers (especially in the last couple of years), always with results that were just fine. I tested some identical loads, Cheddite vs. other primers, and found several times the Cheddite actually came in 200 to as much as 500 PSI less. I'm with Mike, no "snotty' loadings. My conclusion is good patterns kill birds and clays, not velocity. Don't think beating yourself and fine guns up adds to the bag.
Keith Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Doty For Your Post: