Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

FORCING CONES
Unread 06-10-2021, 09:28 AM   #1
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 12,071 Times in 3,236 Posts

Default FORCING CONES

This is a subject that comes up quite often. The Forcing Cone is the tapered section of the barrel bore, immediately in front of the chamber, The larger diameter being the end of the chamber, and that point, where many of the questions originate, is the Chamber Length. The point of these questions is, invariably, so the shooter knows what the appropriate length shells can safely be used in the gun.

Because of the knowledgeable members, we accept that Parker Brothers bored their barrels to dimensions based upon the theory that a certain amount of the shell, upon opening when fired, extends into the forcing cone, in order to form a (better?) gas seal.

I have several questions, and hope to learn from knowledgeable people, and not just opinions, are the following;
A, Did Parker guns, made prior to the introduction of paper hulls, even have forcing cones?
B, Was the amount of opened hull withing the forcing cone, on an unaltered gun, always the same. To answer this, historical data most probably is necessary,i.e. factory records, or hang tags.

After the full acceptance of paper shells, a variety of lengths were available.
I have guns with 2 3/8" chambers, which I accept as fact, were intended for 2 1/2" shells. Likewise, I presume those of my guns with 2 5/8" chambers were intended for 2 3/4" shells.

Dean recently spoke of one of his guns with a 2 9/16" chamber, so my question was what shell was that gun intended to digest.

I have a hang tag (but not the gun) which states the gun was intended to shoot 2 5/8" shells (see the attached image) so what chamber length would that gun have been bored?

Are there any others out there, that lay awake at night thinking about this stuff, or are they all still trying to understand quantum physics and subatomic particles?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1955 (2).jpg (432.5 KB, 3 views)
edgarspencer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 06-10-2021, 09:39 AM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,936 Times in 12,566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarspencer View Post
This is a subject that comes up quite often. The Forcing Cone is the tapered section of the barrel bore, immediately in front of the chamber, The larger diameter being the end of the chamber, and that point, where many of the questions originate, is the Chamber Length. The point of these questions is, invariably, so the shooter knows what the appropriate length shells can safely be used in the gun.

Because of the knowledgeable members, we accept that Parker Brothers bored their barrels to dimensions based upon the theory that a certain amount of the shell, upon opening when fired, extends into the forcing cone, in order to form a (better?) gas seal.

I have several questions, and hope to learn from knowledgeable people, and not just opinions, are the following;
A, Did Parker guns, made prior to the introduction of paper hulls, even have forcing cones?
B, Was the amount of opened hull withing the forcing cone, on an unaltered gun, always the same. To answer this, historical data most probably is necessary,i.e. factory records, or hang tags.

After the full acceptance of paper shells, a variety of lengths were available.
I have guns with 2 3/8" chambers, which I accept as fact, were intended for 2 1/2" shells. Likewise, I presume those of my guns with 2 5/8" chambers were intended for 2 3/4" shells.

Dean recently spoke of one of his guns with a 2 9/16" chamber, so my question was what shell was that gun intended to digest.

I have a hang tag (but not the gun) which states the gun was intended to shoot 2 5/8" shells (see the attached image) so what chamber length would that gun have been bored?

Are there any others out there, that lay awake at night thinking about this stuff, or are they all still trying to understand quantum physics and subatomic particles?
The chambers were predominantly machined the same, within a specific gauge and within a less specific time period, and that isn't the factor in the equation that would ever change. The thing that would change from one paper cartridge maker to another is the open length of the cartridge.
I would therefor say that due to this factor, the length of the cartridge that opened into the cone varied accordingly.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2021, 10:52 AM   #3
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,121 Times in 2,436 Posts

This all gets really confusing. I find earlier hang tags even more confusing with these lines Length of Shell 2 5/8 Inches and then the next line Use Shell 2 3/4 Long?!? This gun targeted with 1 1/4 ounce --

108998 12-gauge, 2 3-4 inch, 1 1-4 ounce.jpeg

This gun targeted with 1 1/8 ounce --

125594 12-gauge, 2 3-4 inch, 1 1-8 ounce.jpg

Later 12-gauge tags generally state Use Shells 2 5/8 Long if they were targeted with 1 1/8 ounce --

211184 12-gauge, 2 5-8 inch, 1 1-8 ounce.jpg

214724 01 12-ga 2 5-8 inch.jpg

and Use Shells 2 3/4 Long if they were targeted with 1 1/4 ounce --

216599 12-gauge, 2 3-4 inch, 1 1-4 ounce.jpg

216599 12-gauge, 2 3-4 inch, 1 1-4 ounce.jpg

I have found that the vintage paper shells I've fired and checked for length were very uniform and right on for stated length. Not at all like modern plastic shells.
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Dave Noreen For Your Post:
Unread 06-10-2021, 10:56 AM   #4
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Dean, I'm not certain that answers any of my questions. I'm not actually sure I even understand what you said. My questions are based on my assumption that the manufacturers stated cartridge length is the Opened length of the hull.
Also, there some point between the beginning and ending diameters of the forcing cone that matches the internal diameter of the hull (wad diameter)
Unread 06-10-2021, 11:18 AM   #5
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Noreen View Post
This all gets really confusing. I find earlier hang tags even more confusing with these lines Length of Shell 2 5/8 Inches and then the next line Use Shell 2 3/4 Long?!? This gun targeted with 1 1/4 ounce --

Attachment 96765

This gun targeted with 1 1/8 ounce --

Attachment 96766

Later 12-gauge tags generally state Use Shells 2 5/8 Long if they were targeted with 1 1/8 ounce --

Attachment 96767

Attachment 96768

and Use Shells 2 3/4 Long if they were targeted with 1 1/4 ounce --

Attachment 96769

Attachment 96769

I have found that the vintage paper shells I've fired and checked for length were very uniform and right on for stated length. Not at all like modern plastic shells.
Confusing? Ya Think? I just measure a Remington Kleenbore, Box labled 2 5/8", and roll crimped, it measures 2 3/8"
The attached shows a NPE which measures 2 3/4", and the same hull, loaded, fold crimped with 1 1/8 oz measuring 2 1/2"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1956.jpg (490.6 KB, 1 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 06-10-2021, 11:27 AM   #6
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,366 Times in 3,283 Posts

Based on those hang tags, I believe we may never know the answers to Edgar's questions. One could surmise from the earlier period tags...but that would just be speculation without any corroborating evidence.

These are incredibly interesting questions, but as someone who cannot by any measure be considered "knowledgeable," I'll stick to quantum physics and sleep better at night. In the meantime, I'll use the milder, shorter shells, enjoy my shooting, and continue to follow discussions like this with great interest.

Thanks for bringing this up!

"'I promise you,' he said, 'on my word of honor, I won't die on the opening of the bird season.'" -- Robert Ruark (from The Old Man and the Boy)
Garry L Gordon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 06-10-2021, 11:29 AM   #7
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,936 Times in 12,566 Posts

Factory forcing cones have been measured at between 1/2" - 3/4" long depending on gauge and the accepted standard for the time period. Ideally, that point should be at, or just a mere few decimal points before, the terminal end of the cone.

For example, an open 12 gauge UMC(or any other shotshell manufacturer) 2 1/2" shell might actually measure as much as 1/16" shorter or longer than the 2 1/2" prescribed measurement while Peter's(or any other shotshell manufacturer) 2 1/2" equivalent might measure plus or minus a slightly different length, while others might measure exactly 2 1/2" on the nose.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 06-10-2021, 12:03 PM   #8
Austin J Hawthorne Jr.
PGCA Member

Member Info

I've had two early lifters that had an abrupt step at the end of the chamber. To the best of my knowledge (which is admittedly limited) these were made prior to the introduction of paper shells and were intended to be the length of the brass cases then in use.
Austin J Hawthorne Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Austin J Hawthorne Jr. For Your Post:
Unread 06-10-2021, 08:04 PM   #9
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,781 Times in 1,069 Posts

You MUST MEASURE!!! Years ago I bought a pretty generic Ball type choke gauge suitable for measuring 12 and 16 gauge only, and a Galazan brass chamber insert gauge to check the 10-28 gauge spectrum. Both cost less than $200 total at the time (c. 1980). As I began to purchase more and expensive smallbore guns, I blew it out and bought Jon Hosford's Barrel Wall Thickness Gauge and his combo choke gauge, which ran into the upper 600s of dollars.

I did some interesting comparisons between the ball-type gauge and Hosford's dial gauge; readings varied along the true bore diameter readings and the choke run at the end of the muzzle readings per each instrument, but the measurements determining the degree of choke were always congruent in the final readings. Was the investment in the higher end instruments worth it? Based on the mistakes I avoided over the years by investing in good measuring tools, there can be no question.
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kevin McCormack For Your Post: