Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 05-04-2010, 09:58 AM   #11
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

What alarmists don't seem to understand is that we all are walking a path that has the same destination (heaven or hell). I suspect that the hunters and fisherman tend to enjoy the stroll down this path more that any alarmist. They need to learn to enjoy life and worry less about the path ending because it IS going to end.
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robin Lewis For Your Post:
Unread 05-04-2010, 10:05 AM   #12
David Borrowman
Forum Associate

Member Info

My apologies. I should have titled the post "New UK study on how to ban all lead shot and then hunting". However, I do think the article is interesting from a ballistic point of view.

If we were really worried about dying I don't think we would be shooting 100+ year old shotguns.

DB
David Borrowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 10:50 AM   #13
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,240 Times in 12,378 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Borrowman View Post

If we were really worried about dying I don't think we would be shooting 100+ year old shotguns.

DB
Now wait just a daggoned minute.... are you sayin' these old guns are dangerous??
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 12:04 PM   #14
David Borrowman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Dean,

I was just agreeing with everyone else that hunters/outdoorsmen push the envelope more than the average person in order to get the most enjoyment out of life. I would venture a guess that many of us that enjoy shooting Parkers do it not only for the enjoyment of shooting a quality piece of American history, but also for the thrill of trusting that quality after 100+ years. I'll be experiencing that thrill tonight during a round of sporting clays with my Damascus bbls.

DB
David Borrowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 12:59 PM   #15
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Good Man David!

We all shoot them because we enjoy it but mostly because we can with the utmost confidence - much to the horror of the uneducated
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 05-04-2010, 10:10 PM   #16
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

The uneducated are oft' horrified. Many alarmists focus on the small picture to spread panic. For instance, all the worry over west nile virus, bird flu, chronic wasting disease and renewed concerns over lead as a few examples. Take any of those "small stuff" issues and research the fatal outcomes world wide. Then compare that outcome to fatalities resulting from something as well known as drunk driving (totally preventable). Qualifies as a jaw dropper if you never considered it. Another alarmist focus is on the individual versus the species. It would be sad to see a dead loon with an ingested lead sinker and call for an immediate ban on such a deadly product. The loon, as a species, is doing well. Now let's consider a big picture species level issue such as the current Gulf of Mexico oil contamination. There will be a drastic outcome for many individual life forms and there is also a potential species level disaster for the brown pelican, only just removed from the endangered list. But we humans aren't about to give up on oil. Now I don't want to be alarmist, but that little incident may kill more individual living creatures than the last century of sport (i.e. non-commercial) hunting and fishing has. Of course I can't provide the numbers, so I guess I could be held out to be offering mere conjecture as rebuttal for the proven dead loons rationale - sorry.

I did read the UK article and it did not deter me from eating game. A few scientific weasle words used and there was no effort taken to remove any pellets, just cook them all. Then, you had to replace all meat meals with just shot game and on and on. Now there was one pheasant in the study that was tenderized in the field. The average number of pellets per pheasant was 3+ but one bird had 18 pellets - 10 yards full choke??. But who would cook 18 known pellets. That skews the results somewhat, as well as not removing pellets as a first step skews the entire study somewhat.

I will do a small study in a few weeks. Since I have some routine blood tests due, I asked the doctor to add lead testing, given the concerns out there and that I have eaten so much game in my life. If I can remember, I'll give a report.

Cheers,
Jack
Unread 05-04-2010, 10:58 PM   #17
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Waiting for your report... if it ever comes
Unread 05-07-2010, 05:33 PM   #18
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,168 Posts

Dean,

How do you fix them loons? All the recipies I've tried didn't come out to well.

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2010, 06:36 PM   #19
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Destry, like I told Jack, "With a grain of salt."
Unread 05-07-2010, 09:01 PM   #20
ch
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

With a grain of salt, cooked on a shingle perhaps?
calvin humburg is offline   Reply With Quote