Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Eastern SxS Classic - West Virginia Panhandle
Unread 05-17-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
chuck brunner
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Eastern SxS Classic - West Virginia Panhandle

I want to thank everyone that has attended to this point. Jent Mitchell held a fabulous dinner for the Virginia Vintagers and all were in attendance. Rich Anderson, Mark Ouellette and Mike Smith as well as Chuck Bishop manned the Parker Display for the masses while Kevin and Murph held court. There was the B Grade 8 bore that Jonathan Engle graced us with as well as his outstanding Fox collection that was displayed. Roger Bain won the single barrel trap shoot in a shoot off over George Calamaris. Three squads shot from 27 yards rise and the winner took home a jar of Palmetto Moonshine and folding money for the first place prize to win the West Va. Cup. A great time by all the shooters was had. We have 1 more day and great weather and I hope all my friends will attend. I want to thank everyone that has graced us with their presence and will see everyone next year............. What a fabulous time to this point...........Someone will win the Argentina trip tomorrow........Come shoot.

Last edited by Mark Ouellette; 05-19-2013 at 12:09 PM..
chuck brunner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chuck brunner For Your Post:
Unread 05-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #2
Jay B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Chuck, it was a nice shooting day. You, Tracy, and John put together an enjoyable event, in a very nice venue. I liked the sporting clays format and the ZI-ZI birds supplied a lot of laughs for paticipants and spectators alike. A good time was had. Should be more fun tomorrow.
Jay Baskette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 09:37 PM   #3
chuck brunner
PGCA Member

Member Info

Jay
Great to see you and thanks for the kind words.....John and I would not have pulled this off but for the kindness of you and the rest of our friends that drove forever to be here. We have had some great shooting and guns and hope this event will grow legs and become the shoot to attend. I want to thank all the vendors as well as the collectors associations (Parker, Fox and L.C. Smith) for their attendance ( Pastor Charlie Brooks for pushing the single barrel event) as well as all of our friends that took off WORK this week to attend. Bob Ermilio, Gary and Lisa Downey, Phil Futrell, Roger Bain, Bill Blackstone, Kevin and Tom McCormack, Britton Condon, Jerry Smith, Tom Hugger, George Calamaris, To'mas Frontier and Gordie White, Traci Brunner, JD Shank and the Parker Collectors Association. A special thanks to Jent Mitchell and the Va. Vintagers for gracing us with their first class presence. We had a ball and look forward to tomorrow..............
Unread 05-18-2013, 08:37 AM   #4
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,943 Times in 4,790 Posts

Thanks, Chuck, Tracy, and John, for a great shoot. Thanks to the Virginia Vintagers for a great buffet Friday night. Chuck, I took off work too. OOPS, sorry, I didn't really take off. T, I hope we spelled your name correctly.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 05-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #5
chuck brunner
PGCA Member

Member Info

Murph
Thank you for your support over the three days. My friends were there for the haul...........Your the best...........What a great shoot and show. Traci, John and I really appreciate all that attended. COB (aka Uncle Rich) was the long haul with a 12 hour drive. Thanks Rich! Mike Smith hung around to do some photo ops and will post.... Next Year! Great Time.........
Unread 05-18-2013, 09:07 PM   #6
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,943 Times in 4,790 Posts

Chuck, it is the best side by side shoot I have ever attended and I have attended a bunch. You and John are the heroes of all attendees. The awards ceremony is the best I have ever witnessed, and you probably know why. The Lovely Linda joins me in congratulationg our long time friend Britton Condon for his big wins. As I have forever preached, International Skeet is the best building block for an all around competition shooter. Of course, big muscles and youth are not impediments. Chuck and John have made a bunch of new friends and gotten a new perspective from some old ones. You don't want to miss this shoot next year.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 05-19-2013, 10:43 AM   #7
chuck brunner
PGCA Member

Member Info

Murph
I am humbled by your kind words. The show was great because of its attendees and your endorsement means everything. I hope it will grow and our attendance next year will include all of our friends. There were some Great guns there and some fabulous competition. The shoot-off between Roger Bain (Winchester Custom Shop 30" Trap ) and George Calamaris ( Parker VHE 32" Trap ) on the trap competition was exactly what we had hoped for ..... Down to the last shot with 1 bird separating the winner. We saw some beautiful old single and double trap guns including Kevins BHE vent rib 32" trap as well as Charley Brooks old LC Smith warrior.. Rich Anderson shot a borrowed a mint c grade single shot ... Roger graciously offered a honorary toast to George and proceeded to pass the West Va. Mason Jar around the horn.....George provided the Palmetto Distillery "Shine". A fitting end to a great day..... Britton as you said is a fabulous shooter and had some very tough competition from the entire field. He informed me that the course was tough but all targets could be broken and it showed....No one ran it but there were some high scores all 3 days..John and Jimmy did a great job of setting it up. And then there will be the pictures...Lots of pictures... Taken by Mike Smith of North Carolina ... He graciously stayed until the very end to take the photos of the winners from all the events and will be uploading many photos from all 3 days ... Thanks again Mike ..... Then there were the guns ... a smoking original vhe 410 skeet ... Darryl's cache of 28ga guns that continued to come out of cases from everywhere and Johnathan's Family Foxes ..... Never again in this lifetime ... these were fitting for a museum ... they shot the course .. Gary Downey shot the Dean Whitter 20 ga over/under Woodward (well) at 5 stand with all the other Pegs filled with England's best ... I had a blast to say the least ...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chuck brunner For Your Post:
Unread 05-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #8
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

Below are a few photos of our Parker group shooting. There was me, who you do not see as I had the camera, and Jonathan Engle shooting a Becker built Fox, Mike Smith shooting a Fox Skeet and Upland, Rich Anderson, Daryl Corona, and Chuck Bishop. Harold Pickens joined us on the second day and unfortunately in not in these photos!

Photo #2 shows Mike Smith, Chuck Bishop, a great trapper, Jonathan Engle, and Rich Anderson.
Photo #5 shows Daryl Corona watching Mike Smith shoot.
Photo #8 shows my 36" DH 10, Jonathan's Becker built Fox CE, and Mike's Fox Skeet and Upland.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Panhandle13_001.JPG (366.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Panhandle13_002.JPG (312.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Panhandle13_003.JPG (377.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Panhandle13_004.JPG (381.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Panhandle13_005.JPG (334.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Panhandle13_006.JPG (250.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Panhandle13_007.JPG (278.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Panhandle13_008.JPG (312.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Panhandle13_009.JPG (338.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Panhandle13_010.JPG (399.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Panhandle13_011.JPG (311.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Panhandle13_012.JPG (338.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Panhandle13_014.JPG (343.9 KB, 2 views)

USMC Retired
USMC Distinguished Marksman
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Benefactor - Ring of Freedom member

Last edited by Mark Ouellette; 05-19-2013 at 12:37 PM..
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 12:17 PM   #9
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,872 Times in 2,035 Posts

Chuck,
This was my first time at an event like this and I had a great time. Prospect Hall is a beautiful place and the people were wonderful. Met a lot of good people and saw plenty of nice guns. My favorite guns were those seen during the "show and tell" out of the backs of our trucks. Daryl's 28's and GHE 20 were something else.
I got to shoot with Rich, Mark, Mike, Daryl, and Chuck. Rich shot his 28 as well as he did his 12, and Mark can swing those big 10's as fast as anybody.
I don't think I have ever shot as poorly as this weekend. I did get sick Thurs. night and felt like crap the whole time, but that's no excuse.
Hope you hold the event again next year. Thanks to you, your lovely wife Traci, Mr. Algood, Jimmy, and the Virginia Vintagers for such a nice time.
Harold
Harold Lee Pickens is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 01:22 PM   #10
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

A few more snapshots for you!

Photo #1; Rich Anderson, unknown, Chuck Brunner (Greenes Guns and this event's organizer), and Tracy Brunner.

Photo #2; Jonathan Engle and Roger Bain discussing the provenance of Jonathan's great grandfather's collection of Burt Becker built AH Fox guns while Mike Smith is photographing that collection.

Photo #3; Rich Anderson and Chuck Bishop manning our humble Parker Brothers display. Anyone know where us midwesterners could obtain a Parker Brothers tablecloth?

Photo #4; Jonathan Engle holding one of only two B Grade 8 Gauge Parkers with Mike Smith.

Photo #5;
Unknown, Fred Verry(sp?), Harold Pickens, Mike Smith, Bill Murphy, and Chuck Bishop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Panhandle13_101.JPG (332.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Panhandle13_104.JPG (335.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Panhandle13_106.JPG (394.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Panhandle13_109.JPG (289.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Panhandle13_126.JPG (382.1 KB, 4 views)

USMC Retired
USMC Distinguished Marksman
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Benefactor - Ring of Freedom member

Last edited by Mark Ouellette; 05-19-2013 at 06:50 PM..
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote