Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Closed Thread
Unread 01-07-2014, 02:07 PM   #221
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,574 Times in 3,414 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Starr View Post
that's a beautiful nid 10 ga . id love to have one some day but out my price range
Well you need to understand when we got that NID maybe 30-35 years ago it needed a new rustblue and the stock needed a refinish job as the old felow that owned it carried it on his tractor . So when we got that Ithaca seems to me we paid something like $150 for it and maybe another $150 for a nice rustblue and the refinish of the woodwork as well as a new recoil pad .
Unread 01-31-2014, 12:57 AM   #222
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

There is or was a single barrel 10 gauge Crescent Arms gun on one of the net auctions !

Thought I was gonna get my hands on it . But when it exceeded $200 I figured it could go to a better home !

Got a lead on a Baker 10 gauge . Which would be great as I don't have an unblooded 10 gauge thats shootable at the moment .
Unread 01-31-2014, 01:07 AM   #223
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I got over the turkey hunting thing 20 years ago . But I think I'm gonna give her a go this spring !

Wanna try and plow one bird with my grandfathers old W&C Scott 10 gauge .

Might even go with some other folks that have given me invites over the last few years as I am 2000% sure they call better then I do anymore . I never did master a mouth yelper but got fair to middlin with a Lynch box call and a slate .

Some handloaded 10 gauge 2 7/8" with 1 1/2 ounces of Magnum 4's oughtta do the trick if we can get one within 30 yards of me .
Unread 01-31-2014, 02:35 AM   #224
Milton Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigThompson View Post
There is or was a single barrel 10 gauge Crescent Arms gun on one of the net auctions !

Thought I was gonna get my hands on it . But when it exceeded $200 I figured it could go to a better home !

Got a lead on a Baker 10 gauge . Which would be great as I don't have an unblooded 10 gauge thats shootable at the moment .
Hope its not that one Charlie wants lol it was like 350$ on gunbroker a hopskins allen ? Now theres one on gunsinternational for 799$!!! .

Craig I found double barrel 6 bore muzzleloader I think I need it And yes I would hunt with it
Unread 01-31-2014, 02:37 AM   #225
Milton Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigThompson View Post

there was a baker single trigger on gb sxs for 350$
and theres a hammer gun on gunsinterational for 1500$ been for sale for over a year now .
Unread 01-31-2014, 07:06 PM   #226
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Hope its not that one Charlie wants lol it was like 350$ on gunbroker a hopskins allen ? Now theres one on gunsinternational for 799$!!! .

Craig I found double barrel 6 bore muzzleloader I think I need it And yes I would hunt with it
An 8 gauge Lefever , Smith or Parker is large enough for me !

I have an original 10 gauge double barrel ML we've had for about 30 years . Might see about getting that one going with buckshot before next ML season .
Unread 01-31-2014, 10:13 PM   #227
Milton Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Ive looked at the pedersoi 10 ga sxs ml but ive read its actually a 11ga . I like some of the original sxs ml shotguns . Craig there is also a sxs ml 8 bore for sale though it has short 28" barrels . With my 10 gauges I only buy doubles with 32" tubes . ID like to load some 2 7/8s buckshot for my 10
Unread 01-31-2014, 10:19 PM   #228
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Ive looked at the pedersoi 10 ga sxs ml but ive read its actually a 11ga . I like some of the original sxs ml shotguns . Craig there is also a sxs ml 8 bore for sale though it has short 28" barrels . With my 10 gauges I only buy doubles with 32" tubes . ID like to load some 2 7/8s buckshot for my 10
Years ago I used to load a veritable PILE of shotgun shells in all gauges . But when U quit shooting competition I got rid of all the shotgun loaders . Then about 4 or 5 years ago after my grandfather passed and i got his W&C I decided I needed to start loading shotgun shells again so I could shoot his old gun . So I started with a MEC 600JR for the 10 gauge put a short kit on it and went to town as the saying goes . Not to long after I got a couple used 600's for the 12 and 20 and short spacers so I can load 2 1/2" in both as well . About 6 months ago I was finally able to get a 16 gauge 600 from one of our distributers and am happily loading 16's again .

At this point in my life I load far more rifle rounds then anything else . But I still shoot a couple thousand shotgun rounds each year as well . I'd say it's been 3 or 4 years since I've loaded any pistol rounds for an actual handgun although I did have some rifles chambered for pistol cartridges not to long ago .
Unread 02-01-2014, 02:57 PM   #229
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Over the years I've messed with a god amount of muzzle loaders be it Contemporary Longrifles , period guns or inlines and even a couple revolver repro's . But so far I've yet to fool with a front stuffer double barrel .

That should be a decent project once I get home in March . Be kinda neat to plow a deer with the old double barrel 10 gauge . I wish it were closer to the front of the safe or I remmembered the name on the locks . I do however remmember it was in very very nice shape the last time I had it in my hands . And as well as I can remmember we got it about 30 years ago . When I dig it out I'll need to get the nipples out and see if I can find a couple new ones just to be on the safe side .

Think I already have some 10 gauge fiber wads and overshot wads . Need some Triple 7 granulated 2Fg . Already have shot , shot and caps .
Unread 02-01-2014, 10:20 PM   #230
Milton Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Craig I wanted to get a 6 gauge sxs front stuff but its to much for me .
looking forward to hear your results with the front stuffer . I may use a revolver this year been looking at one of those 500 smiths and wessons . always wanted to hunt with a revolver . whats the barrel length on your 10 ga ml ?
Closed Thread