Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Lefever sxs sidelock,grade g damascus 32" barrels hammerless
Unread 11-28-2012, 11:13 AM   #1
Rodney Short
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Lefever sxs sidelock,grade g damascus 32" barrels hammerless

im going to be trading for this gun and one other for a rifle i have here, ive looked all over the net and cannot find one lefever g grade sidelock hammerless with 32" fine damascus barrels, i do have photos of the gun in question, i could email someone if they had info on the gun, maybe a value or rarity? i do not plan on selling it, i just dont hear of the old lefevers that much around these parts, except the odd nitro special boxlock, but this is a nice old sxs, one downfall is butplate is a fitted replacement of rubber, however the rest of the gun is in original untouched cond, locks up tight, hinge area is a ball type system versus a rolled pin, it has a dolls head extension lock as well, any info would be great
Rodney Short is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 01:08 PM   #2
Rodney Short
Forum Associate

Member Info

nobody has any info??
Unread 12-02-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
David Noble
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,095 Times in 388 Posts

You didn't give guage info and that would be helpful. As far as info on rarity or function, I can say this, the Lefevers grades are similar to Parkers, ie; the lower grades are more common and less expensive than the higher grades. Again, like Parker, the lower grades are as serviceable and robust as the higher grades, just less embellished. I am speaking to the sideplate models, not the Nitro Specials. Value is determined by the guage, overall condition and originality.
Here's a few on auction.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=319129233
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=317123510
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=318802810

I hope you get the Lefever. I have one and love it.
David Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

My Lefever is in perfect used condition. It has been refurbished, but not brought back to like new. I think it is a wonderful shotgun, light and almost whispy thin.

My gun is an "I" grade. It is not damascus. I was told that the "I" grade was the least expensive gun they made and is what one would have found in the hardware store of old. Strangely, I NEVER see another "I" grade offered for sale. I see lots of "Gs", but no "Is". Is my gun, therefore; rare? I suspect that my gun was the last made before they came out with the box lock models and the Nitro Special.

Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve McCarty For Your Post:
Unread 12-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #5
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

i never heard of this grade..it may be rare... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 07:26 PM   #6
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Yeah, Charlie; I was thinking the same thing. It is clearly marked with a capital "I" on the water table, no question about it. What have i got here? It is obviously not a fancy gun. I didn't take a pic of the water table. Guess I'll have to. The forearm has no buttons or clips. It just snaps on and off. The butt dad has obviously been replaced. Checkering appears to be recut and the barrels have been re-blued, but in the old way.

Unread 12-02-2012, 09:09 PM   #7
David Noble
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,095 Times in 388 Posts

Here's one to check out.

http://www.1898andb-4.com/products.p...tegory=Lefever
David Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 10:05 PM   #8
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,615 Times in 2,667 Posts

Fellows, the I grade was the bottom Lefever sideplate grade. I, H, G, F, etc.

There is an excellent book by Bob Elliot about Lefever which describes the various periods, the grades, history and construction details.

Unfortunately, there is no Lefever forum although there is a collecting organization. Several people here are Lefever collectors, Josh Lowensteiner being a significant collector. We have had posts here about them, you might check the thread Lefever Fever.

Replacement reproduction Lefever butt plates and correct pads are available from Connecticut Shotgun Mfg.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 11:11 PM   #9
Rodney Short
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks for the replies gents, the gauge on the G grade is a 12, chambers are 2 3/4, barrels are the rare 32" fine Damascus, bores are mirror bright, wood is original, untouched, serial is in the 44,000 range which puts it at 1903 production, one gent on shotgunworld had some values for the G Grade "1750$ ex cond, 1350 in vg cond, 1000$ gd cond, 800 fair and 450 poor, this was taken from the gun book of values 2009 which is latest he had, so i suspect they may have risen some since that issue, he also said the production of 32" barrels was smaller, and could increase its value due to rarity, it has a fitted rubber pad on butstock, original has been lost or damaged and replaced, i would like to find a replacement if anyone could point me in a gd direction to one
Unread 12-02-2012, 11:19 PM   #10
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Noble View Post
Yep and it looks a lot like my gun. Mine is F and M, but I'm not sure those are the original chokes.

As I recall my gun is a 1902 gun too. Too me all of these older Uncle Dan, guns feel similar. I have held a Nitro Special a few times, but don't know much about them, nor am I drawn to them. It's also my opinion of the Flues gun which is a joy to many folks and the high grade ones are nice, but they leave me cold, but; that's just me.

The esthetics of a shotgun is ironic in a way. It is a gun and deadly, after all, but also beautiful, so was the Spitfire. Some, I think are more beautiful than functional, others are functional and plain, but still graceful. I am not a huge fan of highly engraved and inlayed shotguns, but it is a matter of personal choice. I have a gun-nut friend who covers his guns with fine engraving, even pocket pistols.

I am not trying to step on toes. My opinion is just MHO and nothing else. If you love highly engraved guns, have at them! I like looking at them too.