Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

1939 Avery Island
Unread 11-04-2012, 06:14 PM   #1
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,157 Times in 3,260 Posts

Default 1939 Avery Island

guess this is as good a spot as any for this time warp of a film clip, they are shooting doubles although one gun has let a barrel slip down under the other,

found it on another site while wandering around

the first few seconds quality is lacking - but it gets better

I especially like the attire - seeing as now a days we camo right down to the truck fenders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zpk1w...ature=youtu.be
Unread 11-04-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,345 Times in 4,421 Posts

Thanks for sharing
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 11-04-2012, 07:04 PM   #3
ed good
On Vacation

Member Info

wonderful video...too bad elmer fudd was not there...or was he?
ed good is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2012, 08:15 PM   #4
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

that was a good movie i really liked the guy working the dogs..lots of ducks too dont guess you needed camofloge back then...i like to watch these old hunting movies and see the clothes they wore and the guns they were shooting...thanks...next time i ll get the popcorn on quicker... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2012, 07:51 PM   #5
Don Ay
PGCA Member

Member Info

I was surprised no one mentioned Mr Mcilhenny's gun It looks like the 20 ga 32" barreled VH I remember reading about that he owned
Don Ay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #6
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,868 Times in 4,754 Posts

Don, where did you hear about that gun?
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2012, 09:24 PM   #7
Don Ay
PGCA Member

Member Info

Bill I remember reading about it in a Shooting Sportsman article I 'll have to look for it in the "library" lol... I'll let you know which issue,If I remember right it was upgraded by one of his grand kids maybe
say are you heading to the Talbot show this weekend?
Don Ay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2012, 05:46 PM   #8
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Avery Island is still there, of course, and the McIlenney family still owns some of it. The rest they donated to the feds to establish a bird sanctuary that is today covered with hordes of flocks of Snowy Egrits. I do not recall seeing many ducks, but the white plumed Egrits were everywhere. Also green and yellow banded, baby alligators that are about a foot and a half long. They hiss at you as you pass them on the foot trail that meanders threw the jungle. I missed my M-14. They menacingly raising their long noses and opening their mouths while hissing loudly exposing what appeared to be razor sharp teeth. They are full of bluster and make short jerky charges. They act as if they want to start at a toe and eat up to your knee. I jumped back and walked carefully around them and went on my way, but the little gaters were none too pleased.

They could call Avery Island, Mosquito Island, and it would be properly named. Old oak trees with long globs of Spanish Moss hanging down and jungle all about. Very hot and humid, and as close to some South East Asian jungles that I visited at the behest of Uncle Sam years ago that I have seen in this country. Blindingly white Snowy Egrits abound!

When you drive to the island, (it is a long, lonely trek, from New Orleans.) you first come upon the Tobasco Sauce plant, which is still owned and run by the MclIenny family. They started making Tobasco sauce right after the Civil War when they stored it in old cologne bottles. They shared the stuff with people who clammered from more so the family went into the business. We were told that it is the most universally eaten food on the planet! The little red peppers they use to make it are indigenous and unique to that spot, but today most are grown in Chili. They age the spicey sauce like wine which is all brewed on site. They pour it into wine barrels which are stood on end. The lid is covered with about three inches of pure white salt. It ages for three years. The salinity is such that bacteria cannot survive so there is no spoilage. There is a store there where you can buy a half gallon jug of Tobasco Sauce. I did just so I could brag about having the biggest bottle of Tobasco Sauce in town. We got'er down in about a year. I like hot sauce.

From the parking lot of the factory, which is housed in a large multicolored red and orange brick building that stands all buy its lonesome, in the middle of what must be a ten acre grassy plot of land, you drive directly on to Avery Island. (During storms the locals use the factory as a sanctuary.) After you pass over the little stone bridge that you saw in the movie, you find yourself on the Island proper. There is a park ranger's home. Towering trees and heavy brush. Swamps gallore with islands here and there. I think the admission was free, but you can make a donation. It is worth the drive from New Orleans because every time you put a dollup of Tobasco Sauce on your scrambled eggs you can tell the story. I doubt very much that you can hunt ducks there anymore. Who eats Snowy Egrits anyway?
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #9
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,615 Times in 2,667 Posts

Edmund McIlhenny is a PGCA member and a member of this forum. He has mentioned hunting and living on the island and shooting his family Parkers.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2012, 06:26 PM   #10
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Day View Post
Edmund McIlhenny is a PGCA member and a member of this forum. He has mentioned hunting and living on the island and shooting his family Parkers.
How about that! Well, I am honored to be a member of an organization that Mr. McILhenny belongs to. He was a Marine too during the VN War if memory serves.

Ed, how was my description of the plant and Avery Island? It has been since 1990. What an amazing place it is. Unique in my life.

I am pleased to hear that you still shoot ducks there and with a Parker. It's just a little slice of Heaven don't you think?
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote