Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

No Other Parker Needed
Unread 09-04-2009, 10:58 PM   #1
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,757 Times in 732 Posts

Default No Other Parker Needed

Yes, Papa's little 20 gauge Trojan did it's trick again this afternoon. 15 dove with less than a box of shells and I was the second man out of the field even though the field was "seated" when I arrived. I just couldn't miss. It was as if Papa's hands were on the barrels. I know I can't shoot that well. Finished with a nice double that was a quick BANG BANG. The birds were within ten feet of one another. I asked my horrid attorney fiend, Shelby, to come down and take my stand and he finished in short order as well.....

Harry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2009_0903stewart0008.JPG (155.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 2009_0903stewart0014.JPG (46.8 KB, 32 views)
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2009, 10:59 PM   #2
Jeremy Clark
Forum Associate

Member Info

Congratulations! I can't wait to get out tomorrow!
Jeremy Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2009, 11:20 PM   #3
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,168 Posts

Good work as always Mr. Collins!

First day out for me tomorrow as well, I hear this cold snap has moved a lot of our birds out. We shall see......

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2009, 06:40 AM   #4
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks, Destry and I hope you slay them. I have no work lined up for today. Guess I'll just have to mow the yard and get my Federal Duck Stamp.
Unread 09-05-2009, 07:19 PM   #5
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,168 Posts

Quite a few birds around and lots of the boys had decent shooting, the cold weather hadn't run them off after all. Dad was running the show so wouldn't touch a gun. I'd had some bad news this morning and wasn't very keen, tried a half dozen shots sitting around with him and did kill one. Big shoot is Monday afternoon, maybe I'll be a little more on the ball.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Trojan 20- right?
Unread 09-14-2009, 05:12 PM   #6
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Trojan 20- right?

Nice fotos Sir- good gun mounting. Is that a circular stock shield on your Trojan? Is yours an early series with the small rib extension, or a later one. A hunting pal inherited a Remington mfg. Trojan, 20 gauge 28" barrels with a single trigger (believe it is a Miller), at last count there were ten guys on the "If you ever want to sell that gun list". Sure wish we had a legal dove season here in MI.
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2009, 07:56 PM   #7
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Francis,

The pictured gentleman shootng is my "horrid attorney friend" and he is shooting a Merkel 20 gauge SXS. Poor fellow has his grandfathers DHE 12 bore two barreled set and does not shoot it. He has a little Fox 20 bore he does not shoot either. I keep sugesting he give both to me. It just may happen! (in my dreams).

The Trojan is in my "will" for Papa's first grandson who did shoot with his grandfather. My mother sugested I give the Parker to him now, but I told her I had waited 55 years for it and that my nephew could wait 20 years and I am being optomistic of my longivity at that.

Harry
Horrid Attorneys and double guns-
Unread 09-14-2009, 09:31 PM   #8
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Horrid Attorneys and double guns-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Collins View Post
Francis,

The pictured gentleman shootng is my "horrid attorney friend" and he is shooting a Merkel 20 gauge SXS. Poor fellow has his grandfathers DHE 12 bore two barreled set and does not shoot it. He has a little Fox 20 bore he does not shoot either. I keep sugesting he give both to me. It just may happen! (in my dreams).

The Trojan is in my "will" for Papa's first grandson who did shoot with his grandfather. My mother sugested I give the Parker to him now, but I told her I had waited 55 years for it and that my nephew could wait 20 years and I am being optomistic of my longivity at that.

Harry
Thanks for the clarification, your friend looks like he does a fair amount of shooting, good head position on the stock, butt well into the shoulder pocket- a Merkel 20 side-by. I'm not familiar with European guns, so have no basis to compare to the two American doubles he has. Does seem a shame to have a nice DHE 12- with extra fitted barrels and not take it afield on "special occasions", but that, of course, is his choice, just as I am sure he would turn down a quail hunt in Texas (or Timbuktu) with Dick Cheney.

Best of luck with the doves and quail, and you can shoot that Trojan 20 and know you are just "breaking it in" for the lucky nephew- years later!!
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2009, 08:50 PM   #9
Bill Bolyard
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Talking

Attorneys,

Typically are not a honorable lot who have no idea what a gentleman shoots, Except for Mr Day and Mr Kass who are well bred.

Bill

"Let me hasten to explain, ere the cat people bristle their back fur,that we have nothing against little kitties who stay by the fire and restrict their diet to canned salmon. Our members wouldn't dream of shooting a cat in the lap of an elderly lady sitting in a rocking chair in the front parlor, provided the window is closed".

Corey Ford
Bill Bolyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2009, 06:30 AM   #10
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Bill,

I understand your coment was light hearted and not ment to impune Shelby. I must add that he is a Southern Gentelman of a blood line that decendes from pre Revolutionary War. I am, however, often dismayed by his choice of shotgun after his forebearers had pointed him in the correct direction.

Kindest, Harry