Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

28ga Repro vs RBL
Unread 01-22-2011, 06:44 PM   #1
Sam Casey
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default 28ga Repro vs RBL

I would like to buy a English stocked (longer 14 1/2 LOP), DT, BTFE 28ga SXS with 28" Bbls with some choke. IC/MOD or tighter. I have a 26" ST Q1/Q2 28ga Repro that I like and have had no problems with, but probably shoot more clays than live birds and am thus inclined to try the RBL28. I can buy the RBL with great wood for $4K +/-. I know this is Parker HQ, and am simply looking for any reason I should buy another Repro vs the 28 RBL. Thanks in advance, Sam I am.
Sam Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 06:54 PM   #2
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,872 Times in 4,755 Posts

You should buy both. The RBL 28 is a screaming gun and those who have bought them have been very pleased. Oh, same thing goes for the Repro. Of course, an original Parker 28 isn't too bad a gun either.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 01-22-2011, 07:14 PM   #3
Sam Casey
Forum Associate

Member Info

Bill - I am really a hunter/clay target shooter ... not so much a collector, so the idea of an original Parker 28ga is not really an option (I'd buy another Kgun first). Am inclined to try the RBL only because I have the Q1/Q2 Repro 28 as well as a 20/16 set. Have been tempted by the Repro 28ga 28" M/F barrels that are offered from time to time, but own a 20 and 16 ga RBL and have been pretty happy with both. Only negatives I see for RBL's are weak case colors.
Unread 01-22-2011, 07:31 PM   #4
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,557 Posts

I wouldn't call the RBL colors "Weak" - actually I would say that the Repro colors are weaker. Interesting, tho - I have a case colored RBL 20 which I really like, but there is something weird about the Case Colors. Within a couple of weeks, I had colors chip off (not wear off) at the top of the receiver where the top lever is mated to the receiver. CSM repaired/redid the colors with no question. I wonder what the process is. Is is something baked on?
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 07:40 PM   #5
Sam Casey
Forum Associate

Member Info

Big D - I am tempted by a 28ga RBL I saw at OGCA (where you bot the .270). A beautiful as new gun that is claimed to be shot very little, yet there are pronounced rings around firing pins ... down to bare steel. I have a 16ga case colored gun shot a lot by me that does not show such wear. Were there issues with the the CC on the 20/28ga? Sam I am.
Unread 01-22-2011, 08:16 PM   #6
GH-16
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,304 Times in 445 Posts

IMO the RBL 28ga is the best of the lot of all the RBL gauges. Tony got it right when he scaled the 28ga and the engraving was a much nicer pattern than the launch edition 20's. The one my buddy had was a really nice gun!

Even with that said I still fall in the reproduction camp. I bit on the RBL deal the first week of the launch edition, paid in full, waited through all the drama and then shot the gun some and sold it because I felt it didn't match up to the reproduction Parkers I owned.

Then I ordered an RBL 28ga, paid in full the first week you could order one. Then during the wait, I found a repro 28ga with a single set of 28" barrels,double triggers and bought it. After shooting the repro I cancelled the RBL order and haven't looked back since.

The only place I see the RBL's have anything over the repro's is they are made in America. Rather than an American design made in Japan. I do admire Tony Galazan for what he is doing for the double gunning community and made in America to boot. The RBL just isn't my cup of tea.
Paul Ehlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2011, 08:06 AM   #7
Chuck Heald
Forum Associate

Member Info

There's something comforting about having the mfr still in business for a high volume target gun.

My choice would be a RBL for targets. It'd have the longest barrels, BTFE, SST, PG and any other options that would get the forward and overall weight up. I'd just get a bare reciever (coin) since target shooting puts some wear on them quickly.

I have a 5 1/2 lb 28" Repro and it's fine for hunting, but not particularly great at extended target shooting with standard target loads.
Chuck Heald is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2011, 08:00 AM   #8
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,910 Times in 534 Posts

Good luck findin a DT repreo 28ga with english stock and beavertail and 28 inchers...few of them around! Personally....the repro feels solid and well made....the RBL does not have that same feel. I have a RBL-28 two barrel set,dt-pg, plinter and beaver tail for ends that I had made to my likes...it has the best wood of any gun I own or ever owned! If I had to sell any 28 gauges, the RBL would go ahead of my repro 28 guns for sure! The repro guns will be a better investment as well...sure to continue to rise in value. I have a RBL-20 that I want to sell...probably take a bath on that one! Thanks all SXS ohio...(-:
Kenny Graft is offline   Reply With Quote