Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Value Going Forward
Unread 10-05-2013, 02:36 PM   #1
Mark Callanan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default Value Going Forward

Would like a few thoughts on collecting parkers

Taking all things into the picture

Are you better off collecting a high grade DHE or a BHE in a lower grade for future value
I would like to try and reach for a collector type Parker and was wondering about future value
or the best one to collect
Thanks for any thoughts
Mark Callanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 03:36 PM   #2
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 12,083 Times in 3,240 Posts

Are you meaning "Condition" when you say grade? A DHE is a grade 3, a BHE, a grade 5.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #3
Mark Callanan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Yes I am sorry I wasn't clear
Say a DHE in 80% vrs a BHE in 50%
Mark Callanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 18,395 Times in 4,731 Posts

I think condition is everything when talking collector value. Obviously a 50% BHE will have a higher dollar value than a better condition gun of a lower grade. But, condition is what drives the prices up higher than run of the mill guns.

When talking about "investment" quality guns. It is all about getting a gun in the highest condition for the least money. Something that can make money on an immediate flip is bound to make you more if you wait a while and preserve the condition of the gun.
price-price-price
Unread 10-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #5
SeeWee Bay
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default price-price-price

Though question
Price or the love of pictular gun how she fits your shoulder guns history guns deminsions etc. It all depends on the individual.
My thoughts
Rufus
rufus thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #6
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 5,055 Times in 1,426 Posts

I do not mean to be flip with this answer.

Learn what original condition is.

Learn what is rare and uncommon.

Learn what is high desirable to collectors.

Learn what current market value is based on those factors.

When you know these things you will know the value of a particular gun, whether it is a deal, or regardless of what you pay if it will appreciate.

Collecting Parker's requires an education, education usually costs some money because the best way to learn about them is to own them as well as study them.

One last piece of advice, buy guns that fit and "speak to you", guns that you will enjoy owning and using, don't look at them first as an investment. Look at them as something will use and enjoy for a long time. Get good advice so that you don't grossly overpay or buy something that is not original or messed up. If you do that you will satisfied from day one forward with any Parker no matter what.

Just my .02
Pete Lester is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pete Lester For Your Post:
Unread 10-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #7
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,925 Times in 870 Posts

I would advise you to do a little research on past auction results. I think you will find that small gauge Parker guns have had the most consistent price increases.
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #8
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 12,083 Times in 3,240 Posts

If you're comparing two otherwise similar guns (i.e. both are same gauge, frame size and barrel length), and both are original, Then Rarity can equal, or exceed condition. There were less than 1200 BH (E) guns, but over 18,000 DH(E) guns. In fact, there may be more 'high condition' D grade than all the B grades
A high condition DHE in a small bore may fetch more than a lesser condition BHE 12 bore, so you need to factor all the common features.
In you're in it to make money, you need to buy with your head. If you buy to own and enjoy, let your heart play a bigger role. Keep in mind also, that some barrel lengths come in, and go out of fashion. 30 years ago no one wanted long barrel guns, now the 26" guns move much more slowly.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 10-05-2013, 05:22 PM   #9
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,179 Times in 4,898 Posts

Historically, high condition and high grade guns have outperformed shooter condition guns. Smallbore and eight gauge guns have outperformed guns in other gauges. Of course, some people will just not buy high condition or high grade guns, nor will they pay the price for smallbore or eight gauge guns. That's OK, because the basic rule of gun collecting is "The profit is made on the buy, not the appreciation." In other words, collectors who are interested in the bottom line do not pay retail. If you are not buying in the top end of condition and grade, you must buy your average guns at a price where the appreciation is on the front end. In other words, if you buy a $1000 gun for $750, your profit is already built into the deal. All future appreciation is gravy. It is up to you to decide which group you want to be in.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 10-05-2013, 05:27 PM   #10
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,728 Times in 1,587 Posts

In my experience, investing in commodities like guns, fly rods, cars is a tough way to go. If you take into account the time required to become knowledgeable, the costs involved (ie gun safes or garages) and the discount your family will probably incur to sell your treasures when you pass, there must be better alternatives.
On the other hand, it ain't much fun to sit in your man cave and fondle a stock certificate
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John Dallas For Your Post: