Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Tom Horn.....
Unread 10-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #1
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,175 Times in 1,194 Posts

Default Tom Horn.....

Just had word from Father that my old friend Tom Horn had passed away this afternoon. He'd been fighting cancer for a couple years and it finally wore him down. Tom followed this forum but never posted. He was fascinated by our double gun culture, but was a Winchester Model 12 man of the old school.

I met him the first week I started college at 18 years old. My father worked at the school and introduced me to him saying: "This guy loves to duck hunt as much as you do". Tom was several years my senior and was a night security guard, picking nights so he could spend his days hunting and fishing. I'd been waterfowl hunting for a few years but was still struggling to build any true skill. He immediately took me under his wing and began to teach me that skill, starting with how to really blow a duck call. I remember the first thing he said to me in relation to it: "Forget this highball bullshit, a live duck never does more than 5 or maybe 7 notes at a time. You learn to blow 7 good notes and you can kill every mallard on the lake."

I've carried the knowledge Tom taught me to many places, even blowing those 7 notes at mallards in far flung destinations like the Western Isles of Scotland. I think of Tom in the back of my mind every time I pick up a call up and blow an "acorn feed chuckle" or "5/7 Arkansas Set Down" to a bunch of suspicious ducks. There really aren't the right words to thank a man for opening up the world of waterfowling to a young kid that way.

We hunted together regularly till I left Southern Illinois in 1995. We always stayed in touch and afterwards, when a hunt was possible, it was the most special of occasions. I was with him at Mermet Lake when his oldest son Shawn killed his first duck. Over the years that son built a fantastic hunting camp for the family down on the Cache River. Tom and I had our last hunt there together in the swamp blind two seasons ago. We had a fine shoot that day as I recall, both his boys with us (Shawn and Shane), all laughing and cutting up. That's how I'll remember him....
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #2
Dean Freeman
Forum Associate

Member Info

What a moving tribute. I'm sure Tom would have appreciated your words, but I imagine he is most proud of the legacy he left behind in you and his children. My sincerest condolences to your respective families.
Dean Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #3
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,728 Times in 1,587 Posts

Seems to me that most of us are lucky if we have a few really good FRIENDS in our lives. Sounds like Tom was one of yours. I know you'll think of him the next time you blow that call
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 06:25 PM   #4
Double Play
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,770 Times in 635 Posts

Destry,
The best way to honor a man like that is to pass along everything he taught you to as many young people as you can.
Larry Frey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Larry Frey For Your Post:
Unread 10-02-2013, 06:35 PM   #5
charlie cleveland
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 7,801 Times in 3,968 Posts

i m glad you have known this great friend and fellow hunter..i hope some one will remember me like you are remembering your friend...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #6
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,330 Times in 2,084 Posts

I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your friend and mentor. You'll always share a blind and a call.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 08:32 PM   #7
John Farrell, Charter Member #33
Forum Associate

Member Info

The loss of a friend like Mr. Horn takes a lot out of the pursuits you two enjoyed together. You may find, in the near term, the thought of continuing the duck hunting you enjoyed with him is too hard to contemplate. To that I say - even if your heart is only partially in it - go out to the duck blind and recall the fine days you spent with your friend and honor him by just remembering him as often as you can.

As long as someone is fondly remembered, that person is not dead.
John Farrell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Farrell For Your Post:
Unread 10-02-2013, 09:24 PM   #8
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,436 Times in 4,454 Posts

Lots of good advice here. Sorry to hear of your loss
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote